Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

I only shoot stills so I don't use it. It's just that anything less is considered old technology since most competitors include it.
It seem to me that nowadays if one camera has a feature, people expect all other cameras in the same price bracket to have it, and it doesn't matter if the majority of people don't use it. If one camera doesn't have it, it is an epic failure and no way people should buy it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I use a 7rIII. Flaws include, but are not limited to:
*It’s too short by about 1/2”
*The controls, while immeasurably better than the previous generation, are laggy (trying to quickly dial a different aperture/shutterspeed/ISO is frustrating compared to the experience with canon cameras
*Struggles to track focus out of plane, and in low light

I disagree with the previous comment about battery life. I can easily shoot all day with maybe 1.25 batteries (I use the grip)

The Smallrig L bracket adds the 1/2" for your pinky without adding much weight. I use it without the vertical piece. Works great and only cost around $50.

Upvote 0
It seem to me that nowadays if one camera has a feature, people expect all other cameras in the same price bracket to have it, and it doesn't matter if the majority of people don't use it. If one camera doesn't have it, it is an epic failure and no way people should buy it.
It's not fair and probably not the best way to distinguish one brand from another but it's especially true when it comes to technology.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
it’s a nice camera, could have been better, could have been worse. My prediction is that it will sell quite well.

I rather doubt that I will get one, as to me personally, it offers no significant benefits over what I shoot with now... but let’s see what the future brings......

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
it’s a nice camera, could have been better, could have been worse. My prediction is that it will sell quite well.

I rather doubt that I will get one, as to me personally, it offers no significant benefits over what I shoot with now... but let’s see what the future brings......

no doubt the EOS R will sell well

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Again same question here. For B-roll, you need multi-camera setup, and doing so, you need cameras with time code in and out, which is something that most of photography oriented cameras are not capable of. Furthermore, editing is time consuming because of precises insertion the scenes between takes. Therefore, it is definitely not for a one-person-show vloggers and not for everyday photographers.

Well, B Cam in a multi cam set up is different than B roll, which is a single camera for establishing shots, filler and such. I assume they meant the second.. But if you are looking at B Cam, then not likely.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It looks like there is no need for it anymore, since the
distance is projected inside the EVF or on the back LCD.

This will likely be more precise than engraved on the lens barrel.
This does not allow you to set the focus to approximately what you want without looking through the lens or at the display. It is helpful when birding, for example, to set the lens to "about 25 meters" -- something I can do all the time when birding. The larger issue is that they're likely to be focus by wire lenses, which may preclude setting focus at "a little less than infinity" or "about that far from MFD" entirely by feel. Some (but not many) focus by wire lenses have physical stops at MFD/infinity which makes that a somewhat less of an issue.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for this release for a good while, having allot of hopes as i am Canon shooter on crop for the moment. I own Canon EF and EF-S lenses and vintage glass, M42 Carl Zeiss, Pentacon and C/Y Yashica ML lenses. This release is the decisive moment to choose between Canon body or Sony in stepping up to full frame; IBIS and focus peaking were my main expectations from this camera along EF (and EF-S) compatibility... also custom buttons. I will wait till the official announcement but It appears i am forced to choose Sony. The 1 card is not really a main deal braker for me, yet i find silly that after Sony responded to the market feedback implementing redundancy in all new FF cameras, the industry giants just ignore this fact... I am tempted to feel more confident in a company that listen to the customer feedback and needs, compared to companies that do what they want. I am not a fanboy of any brand, i just need specific features. I will probably stick to Canon glass since is good and less expenssive than Sony glass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
It is not impossible - actually it would make a lot of sense - that future EOS Cinema will have RF mount to enable the use of this new lens lineup. In addition it would make the adaptation of PL mound quite a bit easier..

True. Maybe we will see new Cinema body with an RF mount at NAB this year, but probably not till next year at the earliest. I do like that with the adapter you can still use all the EF glass. I have never been a fan of PL mounts. We use them a lot on the ARRIs, but I've never liked that mount.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for this release for a good while, having allot of hopes as i am Canon shooter on crop for the moment. I own Canon EF and EF-S lenses and vintage glass, M42 Carl Zeiss, Pentacon and C/Y Yashica ML lenses. This release is the decisive moment to choose between Canon body or Sony in stepping up to full frame; IBIS and focus peaking were my main expectations from this camera along EF (and EF-S) compatibility. I will wait till the official announcement but It appears i am forced to choose Sony. The 1 card is not really a main deal braker for me, yet i find silly that after Sony responded to the market feedback implementing redundancy in all new FF cameras, the industry giants just ignore this fact... I am tempted to feel more confident in a company that listen to the customer feedback and needs, campared to companies that do what they want. I am not a fanboy of any brand, i just need features. I will probably stick to Canon glass since is good and less expenssive than Sony glass.

Like me. Three manual Zeiss classic lens to focus. ;-(
The Focus Assist on the C300 II is really nice with manual lenses; Zeiss and Canon. I was hoping at least peaking...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
no doubt the EOS R will sell well
Yes....

I think of this as the M equivalent of their FF cameras, and like the M, I expect it to capture a (the?) dominant spot in the market.... I also expect to see a regular sized mirrorless body with higher specs come out in the next year or so, and that’s when I jump....

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Sorry Don. EOS M (1st gen) did NOT capture the market. It was seriously underspecced and had to be firesold for 299 including kit lens. What saved Canon's ass were the EF-M lenses. Decent IQ, small size, very affordable price. RF lenses are exactly the opposite on the last 2 items. And EOS R looks underspecced as well, now that we see more of the caveats and fine print. So I don't think it work as well for Canon FF mirrorfree this time.

Looking forward to see what Pana brings to the table. Then we got 5 FF mirrorfree suppliers and about 10 different new/current bodies. I like. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct. EOS R
EV -6 at f1.2 (from spec sheet)
EV -5 at f1.4 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)
EV -4 at f2.0 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)
EV -3 at f2.8 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)

That's not accurate.
+1 stop to f1.2 - f1.8 (EV -5)
+1 stop to f1.8 - f2.5 (EV -4)
+1 stop to f2.5 - f3.5 (EV -3)

Upvote 0
Sorry Don. EOS M (1sdt gen) did NOT capture the market. It was DOA. What saved Canon's ass were the EF-M lenses. Decent IQ, small size, low pirce. RF lenses are exactly the opposite on the last 2 items. And EOS R looks underspecced as well, now that we see more of the caveats and fine print.
2nd gen was also doa. 3rd gen was better. They finally got it right with the 4th gen M5.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I use it for birding. I do AFMA in all my lenses that I use on 5D4 I believe the difference I see are 1) no AA filter, gets more detail and sharpness 2) it is 42mp I can get a bigger size image after cropping 3) slighly better shadow recovery. I am not proclaiming this is how everyone should feel but saying how I feel about the results. At the end of the day just go with the gear that gets the best results to your eyes and makes you happy. Especially in my case I am an enthusiast. I look at my results from either tool and to me I get better out of the Sony. Some might Say Canon has 50mp 5DsR with AA filter cancelling. I rented it for a week and tried I could not stand the noise.
Too much noise? I have the 5DsR. I can take a properly exposed shot at 1600 ISO and print it at 24x36 without any noise showing. And it is SHARP. Did you shoot at 100 ISO and try to recover 5 stops of shadow? If so, your Sony might be better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sorry Don. EOS M (1sdt gen) did NOT capture the market. It was DOA. What saved Canon's ass were the EF-M lenses. Decent IQ, small size, low pirce. RF lenses are exactly the opposite on the last 2 items. And EOS R looks underspecced as well, now that we see more of the caveats and fine print.

Keep yer eyes peeled FullThrottle! This camera will likely be the biggest seller of 2018 and there's only 3-1/2 months left of the year.....

Then when Canon pulls out their mega-beast FF Mirrorless flagship they will then within a short period of time after that release be masters of the FF Mirrorless market. (sorry Sony & Nikon, Canon is steppin up their game).

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Keep yer eyes peeled FullThrottle! This camera will likely be the biggest seller of 2018 and there's only 3-1/2 months left of the year.....

lol. They will not catch Sony A7 II sales in 2018. Not with this one. Unless they offer it for USD 999,-
And 2019 will be tough on this thingie, because Nikon Z6 is better and Z7 even more so.
And Canon RF lenses neither smaller/lighter nor less expensive than Sony or Nikon.

Upvote 0