Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don’t know any of those shops, but we still have some regional ones like Hughes Circuits, Streamline, and TTM (was VIA systems). There are actually dozens of shops, of highly variable capability :)

haha! I've been to Hughes! I used to service the UV exposure machines. They had Olec machines. I also used to go into Sanmina (sp?) and other shops down there (VIA systems too). It's been so long I can't remember all the names. I think most shops that didn't move off-shore are now mostly R&D and quick turn. The huge high volume shops are mostly gone. There were dozens and dozens in SoCal and the Bay Area way back when.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
Naive question: Since two of the new RF lenses have IS, I'm going to assume for the sake of argument the new EOS R doesn't have IBIS.

Q: Is there some major technical impediment to making an IS version of the new 28-70mm f2? Or the old 24-70mm f2.8? Would the lens have to double in size or weight or something? I get the impression its one of the highest use lenses out there and I thought IS would be a must have and $$$-generating feature.

Just curious.

Disclosure: I ask this as somebody who shoots only occasionally with an ancient 40D and the EFS 17-55mm f2.8 IS + 70-200mm F4 L + 50mm f1.8 Mark1 as my main glass. Not exactly cutting edge, but hey, we can dream...

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I'd love to ask more about the multi-layer PCBs, but this thread might not be the right place. Should we open another thread, and/or multi-way PM messages?

Naive question: Since two of the new RF lenses have IS, I'm going to assume for the sake of argument the new EOS R doesn't have IBIS.

Not certain, but the pdf didn't say so most likely no IBIS.

Q: Is there some major technical impediment to making an IS version of the new 28-70mm f2? Or the old 24-70mm f2.8? Would the lens have to double in size or weight or something? I get the impression its one of the highest use lenses out there and I thought IS would be a must have and $$$-generating feature.

Weight, size and price go up 2-5x each time you move one stop up. So moving from F4 to F2 is probably quite expensive and heavy.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Except a mirror-less is not dust proof when you change lenses. In contrast a DSLR is much more.
Well, that's the reason while mirrorless users always carry a battery driven pocket vacuum cleaner with them. Whenever they change lenses, you can hear that: wheeeeewhhhrrrrrr! Never heard that? In fact, mirrorless digital cameras are an invention of the secret camera and vacuum cleaner conspiracy called PanaSOnon, to boost their combined businesses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be fair, this camera will take nice pictures and sell like hot cakes. Canon products are extremely solid performers. Lovely colors, legendary reliability, good weather sealing, perfect ergonomics, and flawless customer service are part of the equation. Specifications are not everything, but I personally think that Canon missed another opportunity to be competitive. The Canon R system only demonstrates that this brand is not willing to give us anything more than they are forced to. In this case, Sony, Fuji, and the Micro Four Thirds cameras are what forced Canon to release a full-frame mirrorless product. Will it be enough to convince people not to switch to Sony and Panasonic? Personally, I find the Canon response quite pathetic.

extract from fstoppers

In my opinion, that is the boldest truth

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Q: Is there some major technical impediment to making an IS version of the new 28-70mm f2? Or the old 24-70mm f2.8? .
I have been told several times by several Canon folks that the developmental IS versions of the 24-70 f/2.8L never were as perfect as the non-IS since they add another unnecessary element to the optical path.
My 24-70 2.8 is near perfection and I treat it as a non-IS by being mindful of vibrations... I’m old fashioned!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I have been told several times by several Canon folks that the developmental IS versions of the 24-70 f/2.8L never were as perfect as the non-IS since they add another unnecessary element to the optical path.
My 24-70 2.8 is near perfection and I treat it as a non-IS by being mindful of vibrations... I’m old fashioned!

“Unnecessary” is an odd word to use. The element is necessary if you want IS.

One could similarly say zoom lenses add unnecessary elements to facilitate zoom.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
“Unnecessary” is an odd word to use. The element is necessary if you want IS.

One could similarly say zoom lenses add unnecessary elements to facilitate zoom.
Zoom elements are necessary to form the proper optical convergence. IS is necessary IMHO for focal lengths over 70mm being used at 1/60 second or slower.
The IS element allows slower shutters which might be necessary for some shooters. I rarely shoot under 1/125 without a tripod. If I need slower shutters, I switch to f1.4 or f1.8 primes.

Upvote 0