Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Has anyone noticed that the “Canon PDF” looks like a fake or dumbed-down version? Every mirrorless they makes with an EVF, which is admittedly only two, lists the number of dots. Both the M50 and M5 PDF specs list 2.36 mil dots. How is it that they wouldn’t list them here for the new camera?
Its either a fake or draft. As I said before it can't be that you can shoot unlimited dual pixel raw and not normal raw in burst mode. Dual Pixel raw is twice as large. An the strange USB specs with wft e7 (5d Mark iii) does not make any sense. Also there is no mention of eye af. I am sure it's in there. M50 has is why not put on a body 3-4 times the price. Makes no sense. Resolution won't be a problem this is 30 vs 24 Mpixels and since face detection works the region of interest (box around the face) is basically the same since eye af must only evaluation the section where a face is detected and not the whole frame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
The (rumoured!) EOS R specs are interesting for me... I have read this entire thread!! Phew... :p
As I own a couple of Canon DSLRs, and Canon APS-C mirrorless cameras, I am excited to see what Canon will bring to the FF mirrorless arena.

The main aspects that are important to me in Canon's first FF Mirrorlss are: good ergonomics, improved AF (compared to the already very good live view DPAF), great IQ and a decent range of lenses (and compatibility with other accessories, e.g. Speedlite flashes, triggers, remotes, etc)
If the model described above (and some of the 'leaked' specs) are the lower end FF model, with a higher end FF mirrorless still to come, that makes sense to me.
e.g. 2 card slots, improved FPS, etc, possibly IBIS).

Regarding the pdf with the specs, I think it may be a draft (more likely than a fake, imho) - as there are indeed some aspects that don't add up.
Still good to get these 'pre-announcement details!) Nokash&ta's last minute "releases" of gear photos and specs are usually very accurate, and are indeed very helpful....
Canon has wisely provided the lists of those lenses, upon release.. and more to come. A good move... and some very exciting lenses among them.
I am sure the Mirrorless market will mature in the next 3 years (somewhat similarly to how the DSLR market did in the mid to late 2000's).
That's when the major players will make most of their profits. And we'll see features unleashed on (lower end) models at increasing rates.

Good times to be a photographer and consumer of photographic goods (& services).

Cheers

PJ

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Its either a fake or draft. As I said before it can't be that you can shoot unlimited dual pixel raw and not normal raw in burst mode. Dual Pixel raw is twice as large.
It can if its writing speed is higher than 120 MB/s. DP raw "bursts" are 2.2 fps. Normal raw burst are 5 (servo AF) or 8 (one-shot AF) fps.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I thought it might be interesting to inject a different viewpoint. Being an amateur photographer who is not particularly wealthy, I find it interesting to read others' commentaries on various photographic gear. For me, time is running out. I would like to update my camera body one more time. Reading forums such as this are educational and informative from a technical standpoint and do add to my knowledge base concerning camera operational capabilities. However, I probably need to focus my attention on more basic topics. My concern at the moment is not with these mirrorless cameras, which from reading everyone's comments, sound like they need further research and development. At the moment, I own a Canon 80D as well as a few good Canon lenses, and my wish is for the next iteration of this Canon DSLR camera line, i.e. a "90D"? I think it is about all that I can honestly afford. In a nutshell, not everyone can afford to "keep up with the Joneses" in the world of photography. Good luck to all of you who apparently can.

Just a thought when reading your post, but a used-but-great-condition 5D3 and similar condition 70-200 f/4, both off eBay would get you into another world for the price of a new 90D ... and would give you outstanding full frame photography. I've bought several used cameras and lenses from eBay and they have been in practically new condition .... a lot of people really look after their gear well !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
When and where will the announcement be made? We know it will be made on 5th Sept but shouldn't there be a pre-announcement of the annoucement :), so the public will know where to look? it's still so secretive up to now.

Canon Hong Kong will have a live Facebook event at 9pm on 5 Sept local time.

Upvote 0
Lost interest on this camera 15 pages ago, it's not what I want and needed. I'm sure this new line will be a success in the future.

Unless there's a big surprise on the actual launch, but meh for now, I just want the new M5 MkII.

Huh? The only* thing wrong with the M5 Mk1 is the lack of a 16-64 (4x) f/4.0 (constant aperture) IS zoom. Come on, Canon. That'd be an easy way to rip gobs of money out of my, and lots of other folks, pockets.

All the squawking and wailing here (including mine!), though, is because the EOS-R doesn't push the envelope much. Everyone here is a pro or a camera nerd, and none of us got the particular bell or whistle that s/he wanted. But a 30MP camera with a lighter body and smaller/lighter (and hopefully better) 24-105/4.0 IS will be a really great camera for a lot of people. FF without the pain of the 5D2 +24-70/2.8. "Good show, Canon" is what we should be saying.

*: I know, I know. Video. I don't do video, but tried it. The battery drained instantly and the camera got almost hot enough to burn my hands. Sheesh. Since I don't do video, I love the M5 Mk1.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Wider aperture = more light and more accurate focusing.
oh sorry, i meant to quote Beachcolonist above, who said it was meaningless to compare the 5dIV's -3EV focusing at 2.8 to the R's -6EV at 1.2. It seems to me that you SHOULD be able to make a cursory, extrapolated comparison based on the information you just stated.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
OMG! I want to shoot an ibis with an EOS R :devilish:

Joking aside, it looks like a solid camera with some pros and cons, nothing groundbreaking - but I didn't expect this from Canon, given their conservative but solid performance in the past years. They seem to invest more secretly under the hood e.g. in the lens production line to achieve a level of consistent high quality (well adjusted lenses) ahead of the competition. Unfortunately, such quality can't be seen in spec lists and fancy marketing videos. I personally appreciate this, because it's the lenses that you keep for many years, not a digital camera - that's the reason why I never would buy a digital Leica, because a classic film Leica grows with its patina over decades, a sensor only degrades.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
I respect the usability of Canon cameras, and how things "just work". But you don't have to have a camera that's 5 years behind tech-wise to have things just work correctly. Even 1 year is an eternity with modern technology, and they're literally 5 years behind in many areas. There's no excuse if something like their sensor tech can't match the d750 from 4 years ago. They make the most money, they have the biggest potential budget. I hope at least the sensor is better.

The insanely weird "they are in the business of making money, not making cameras with modern specs" argument is just wild. Why on earth, as a consumer, would I be in favor of Canon making a boatload of money, vs. making a more reasonable amount of money and spending a little more of that cash to give me a better product? A camera that gives me the stuff other cameras had 3-5 years ago AS WELL as the cool Canon innovations. They certainly have enough money to do so, that's inarguable. I want the best best camera at the best price. If you are a consumer and you're arguing for Canon's bottom line, you are arguing against yourself in favor of a faceless corporation. That is fanboyism at its worst.

We'll see if this is just a 5DIV sensor. We'll see about the price. The announcement is soon. But no one should be satisfied if this turns out to be another significantly sub-par offering. "Canon is in the business of making money" is not a good argument against anyone's disappointment.

Upvote 0
oh sorry, i meant to quote Beachcolonist above, who said it was meaningless to compare the 5dIV's -3EV focusing at 2.8 to the R's -6EV at 1.2. It seems to me that you SHOULD be able to make a cursory, extrapolated comparison based on the information you just stated.

We've already had it in this thread, but I'll just repeat the simple extrapolation using the standard scale with 1/3 stop increment (1.0 1.1 1.2 1.4 1.6 1.8 2 2.2 2.5 2.8 3.2 3.5 4)

-6EV @ f1.2
-5EV @ f1.8
-4EV @ f2.5
-3EV @ f3.5

If 5D4 does -3EV at f2.8, then there's 2/3 stops between f2.8 and f3.5, so R does AF by 2/3 stops better than 5D4. If it somehow corresponds to the dynamic range of the sensor, we're going to get a pretty good sensor at D850 level.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I respect the usability of Canon cameras, and how things "just work". But you don't have to have a camera that's 5 years behind tech-wise to have things just work correctly. Even 1 year is an eternity with modern technology, and they're literally 5 years behind in many areas. There's no excuse if something like their sensor tech can't match the d750 from 4 years ago. They make the most money, they have the biggest potential budget. I hope at least the sensor is better.

The insanely weird "they are in the business of making money, not making cameras with modern specs" argument is just wild. Why on earth, as a consumer, would I be in favor of Canon making a boatload of money, vs. making a more reasonable amount of money and spending a little more of that cash to give me a better product? A camera that gives me the stuff other cameras had 3-5 years ago AS WELL as the cool Canon innovations. They certainly have enough money to do so, that's inarguable. I want the best best camera at the best price. If you are a consumer and you're arguing for Canon's bottom line, you are arguing against yourself in favor of a faceless corporation. That is fanboyism at its worst.

We'll see if this is just a 5DIV sensor. We'll see about the price. The announcement is soon. But no one should be satisfied if this turns out to be another significantly sub-par offering. "Canon is in the business of making money" is not a good argument against anyone's disappointment.

For the life of me, I don't understand the "they are a business, they know what's best for their customers" line of reasoning either, but a lot of people employ it here and see it as perfectly reasonable. Let me rephrase that- I understand the reasoning, but I find it wholly irrelevant to pretty much any discussion regarding available technology that is or is not being implemented for "reasons". Especially on a technology rumors/speculation/wishlist site.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
We've already had it in this thread, but I'll just repeat the simple extrapolation using the standard scale with 1/3 stop increment (1.0 1.1 1.2 1.4 1.6 1.8 2 2.2 2.5 2.8 3.2 3.5 4)

-6EV @ f1.2
-5EV @ f1.8
-4EV @ f2.5
-3EV @ f3.5

If 5D4 does -3EV at f2.8, then there's 2/3 stops between f2.8 and f3.5, so R does AF by 2/3 stops better than 5D4. If it somehow corresponds to the dynamic range of the sensor, we're going to get a pretty good sensor at D850 level.
What you're saying, which makes complete sense to me, seems to refute what Beachcolonist is saying. His/her comment made no sense to me.

I'd imagine the increase in lowlight focus you've extrapolated here is either due to a better, lower noise, higher DR sensor, or from better processing/algorithms from digic 8/8+. I'm hoping for the former. If we have a D850 level sensor and a flip screen at a decent price(2000-2500) I'll be more than happy to forego IBIS, 120fps, and non-cropped 4k. To me, sensor is king when it comes to taking better photographs, and I'm 90% photographer, 10% videographer.

Upvote 0
I wonder.

- Why no GPS? Am I the only one that absolutely loves having a GPS for time sync, location tagging without using a phone, etc?
- I'm not an expert on flange distances and so on, but will this work with old manual focus C/Y (Contax) lenses, M42 mount lenses, etc? My 6D is spectacular for those, though the mirror hits some of the more interesting lenses (Mir-1A 37, some others)... I know the Nikon D's can't take those because of the focal distance.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Does d750 have DPAF?

The insanely weird "they are in the business of making money, not making cameras with modern specs" argument is just wild. Why on earth, as a consumer, would I be in favor of Canon making a boatload of money, vs. making a more reasonable amount of money and spending a little more of that cash to give me a better product?
I am not a consumer in this particular market [sub]segment, so I am in favor of Canon making a boatload of money on this camera and then spending this money on making a camera I would want.

I want the best best camera at the best price.
And I want a pony.

Well, actually not, but you got the idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think the numbers for 5D4 are for the dedicated AF sensor, not for DPAF.

Upvote 0
I wonder.

- Why no GPS? Am I the only one that absolutely loves having a GPS for time sync, location tagging without using a phone, etc?
- I'm not an expert on flange distances and so on, but will this work with old manual focus C/Y (Contax) lenses, M42 mount lenses, etc? My 6D is spectacular for those, though the mirror hits some of the more interesting lenses (Mir-1A 37, some others)... I know the Nikon D's can't take those because of the focal distance.

Of course as soon as we'll get 3rd party adapter vintage glass should adapt. I'am waiting for a FF mirrorless mainly for the purpose of having a light(er) and small(er) camera that can work with some (excellent) vintage lenses and be able to get proper viewfinder focus with them (contrary to modern DSLRs). On top of that, the mirror removal allows even more lens selection, like Canon FD or lenses that could not work due to mirror clearance (5D series can be annoying due to mirror design) like the Leica 24mm R or some C/Y lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course as soon as we'll get 3rd party adapter vintage should adapt. I'am waiting for a FF mirrorless mainly for the purpose of having a light(er) and small(er) camera that can work with some (excellent) vintage lenses and be able to get proper viewfinder focus with them (contrary to modern DSLRs). On top of that, the mirror removal allows even more lens selection, like Canon FD or lenses that could not work due to mirror clearance (5D series can be annoying due to mirror design) like the Leica 24mm R or some C/Y lenses.
Right exactly, and the 5D was a worse offender than the 6D with mirror clearance, so even more lenses do not work with the 5D than with the 6D.

That's good news, then. I hope the manual focus assist will be as good as on the Sony...

Upvote 0
What you're saying, which makes complete sense to me, seems to refute what Beachcolonist is saying. His/her comment made no sense to me.

I'd imagine the increase in lowlight focus you've extrapolated here is either due to a better, lower noise, higher DR sensor, or from better processing/algorithms from digic 8/8+. I'm hoping for the former. If we have a D850 level sensor and a flip screen at a decent price(2000-2500) I'll be more than happy to forego IBIS, 120fps, and non-cropped 4k. To me, sensor is king when it comes to taking better photographs, and I'm 90% photographer, 10% videographer.

That's what I was thinking, too. I do a lot of landscape photography including night-scapes so I'm all after the higher DR, low-light AF, flip screen and weather-sealed body. So far I've been satisfied with how my 5D4 is sealed, it's been exposed to different conditions to say the least and it works ok so far.

Single-card slot and AA filter on the R sensor are big downsides though, so I'll likely be waiting for a higher end camera with hopefully greater resolution and hopefully with no AA filter.

Upvote 0