POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Sorry better for "me". Opinions like this like this are subjective, but keep forgetting they come off as literal. Like a lot of canon releases lately, it seems some steps forward, several backwards... which is frustrating to put it mildly. It gave a better sensor, lighter, new features and new lens possibilities, much wider focus areas (a huge drawback on the 6dmk2 for me) better low light, etc... but damn yes what the hell with the fps and battery life? however, right now we're working of spec sheets and some really hurried reviews... it may be a hidden gem waiting for a bit of polish (software changes)... or .. just another meh.. hence waiting.
Since you admit that there are many issues like fps and battery life and let me add a single card and no joystick to change focus points while you look through the finder and you have to wait why you say it is better for you?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Crazy, I'm not attacking anything, I am simply asking you to say what area of what image that you have seen posted leads you to think "a 5D MkIV couldn't have done that", why is that such a difficult thing to do? It leads to a relevant discussion on the camera output rather than constantly shouting irrelevant personal opinions.
Sometimes the internet is like the schoolyard. When asked a question they can't answer, some kids throw a tantrum and run away.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
An objective reading of the datasheets reveals that this camera is indeed a downgrade from the (6 year) older one two of us mentioned we own, for specific use cases. It’s not a claim, it’s factual.
Nonsense. Newer is always better. Anyone who doesn't buy the latest release is a Luddite.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Since you admit that there are many issues like fps and battery life and let me add a single card and no joystick to change focus points while you look through the finder and you have to wait why you say it is better for you?

it was in my message? "It gave a better sensor, lighter, new features and new lens possibilities, much wider focus areas (a huge drawback on the 6dmk2 for me) better low light, etc... "

like I said... some steps forward, many back..

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Isn't a "better for me" (or "not better for me") response an appropriate one for a "who is preordering" question? And that's not necessarily "subjective"; idiosyncratic, yes.

I'm going to admit I am not quite sure how to read your comment...

but "Isn't a "better for me" (or "not better for me") response an appropriate one for a "who is preordering" question? " .. I thought so, but someone took me literally?

"And that's not necessarily "subjective"; idiosyncratic, yes"
"sub·jec·tive - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. " seems correct? we each have different wants/desires out of what the equipment will do based on many factors such as types of photography, cost etc?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Canon doesn't offer a dual battery charger for the LP-E6N, that means you have to buy a Chinese generic one (which canon doesn't want you to) or charge one battery at a time if u have the Vertical grip. How is that so different than charging from a computer? I think it's more practical to leave the batterie/s and the SD card in the camera

For you it might be more practical to leave them inside but for someone else it may not be. A simple example is I try to shoot until the batteries deplete and then replace it with a fully charged battery. (I have 4 batteries in total for my 5D4) So let's say if I start to shoot when the battery is at 30% and the battery runs out after sometime, I relpace that with a fully charged battery. At this time I can charge the depleted battery while I am still shooting. In this scenario if I where to charge the battery in the camera I cannot use the camera. There are claims about not to discharge the Li-ion battery every single time, memory effect, etc. Based on what I have read so far people often contradict on those. I am not a battery expert so I will stay away from those type of discussions. I am just stating my style of handling the battery hence charging the battery in the camera is not always a convenience at least for me

I use vertical grip only on the Sony cameras. I have 4 batteries for them as well. So once one battery is completely depleted I simply take it out move battery in slot 2 to slot one, insert a fully charged battery in slot 2. This way I spread the use of the batteries.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes - for BIF, for example: it's impossible to have too many FPS for that.
And even event photography benefits when facial expressions count. Includes weddings, other ceremonies, etc. Having the best, most flattering (if that is the objective) "decisive moment" is always nice at the end of an event that cannot be repeated.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
it was in my message? "It gave a better sensor, lighter, new features and new lens possibilities, much wider focus areas (a huge drawback on the 6dmk2 for me) better low light, etc... "

like I said... some steps forward, many back..
So will you be able to change focus points while you target your theme through EVF just like we do with DSLRs?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm going to admit I am not quite sure how to read your comment...

but "Isn't a "better for me" (or "not better for me") response an appropriate one for a "who is preordering" question? " .. I thought so, but someone took me literally?

"And that's not necessarily "subjective"; idiosyncratic, yes"
"sub·jec·tive - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. " seems correct? we each have different wants/desires out of what the equipment will do based on many factors such as types of photography, cost etc?

My perception of whether I need a certain feature can easily have subjective factors. But whether the feature is present in a given camera is rather straightforward. It either has 1080p @ 120fps or it doesn't. Whether that feature is needed can well be rather straightforward. Does one use slow motion when editing video, would be a main consideration. If the answer is no, but one really feels left out without the feature, then that is rather subjective, I admit. My point, which I now belabor far beyond its worth since I apparently wasn't very clear, is that something peculiar to individuals is not necessarily subjective. In plain language, I might have use for something that you don't, or vice versa. That doesn't make either of us to be a drama queen. We may just do different stuff. And whether a given camera has a particular feature is not a matter of how you or I feel about it.

I was responding to the objection that people were answering for their individual situations when asked whether they were preordering a camera. Maybe I read too much into the objection.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
And even event photography benefits when facial expressions count. Includes weddings, other ceremonies, etc. Having the best, most flattering (if that is the objective) "decisive moment" is always nice at the end of an event that cannot be repeated.

I grew up in the era when I couldn't afford a motorized film camera, and never felt the need for one (and wouldn't have wanted to pay for all that extra film). I learned to shoot at the peak of an action and to try to time my shutter press to capture the decisive moment. Maybe that is a lost art, or just a luxury that a pro can't afford now.

I would be afraid that the moment I wanted fell between the automated shots. I don't have a sense of how many fps I might need for a given activity to prevent that. There are enough instances when I have looked for something frame by frame in a 30fps video and found it only on a frame or two, that I would be wary of 8 or so shots a second capturing what I want all the time.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I grew up in the era when I couldn't afford a motorized film camera, and never felt the need for one (and wouldn't have wanted to pay for all that extra film). I learned to shoot at the peak of an action and to try to time my shutter press to capture the decisive moment. Maybe that is a lost art, or just a luxury that a pro can't afford now.

I would be afraid that the moment I wanted fell between the automated shots. I don't have a sense of how many fps I might need for a given activity to prevent that. There are enough instances when I have looked for something frame by frame in a 30fps video and found it only on a frame or two, that I would be wary of 8 or so shots a second capturing what I want all the time.
Yes, but at least the odds are increased with 5 fps, more so with 8 fps, etc. I think in the past we made do with what we had, photographer and subject accepting the limitations as the norm. We made do with manual focus. We made do with film and waiting a week for the prints. There is, as you say, "lost art." But there are also benefits.

And any photographer can set to one-shot and enjoy the satisfaction of having nailed it with one, or the disappoint of having missed it. If that makes the art/craft/fun richer, why not?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
So will you be able to change focus points while you target your theme through EVF just like we do with DSLRs?
not sure that is possible for me to answer given the camera is not available nor sure why you'd ask me as if I could answer. its partially why I wouldn't pre-order, I don't know? but at same time what you describe isn't necessarily how I shoot (you may be different). I currently tend to focus once where I need it and shoot and refocus manually. The low light situations currently make it challenging to continually focus accurately... having said that, this is more sensitive focus in low light... so maybe it's better? won't know until further reviews.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Yes, but at least the odds are increased with 5 fps, more so with 8 fps, etc. I think in the past we made do with what we had, photographer and subject accepting the limitations as the norm. We made do with manual focus. We made do with film and waiting a week for the prints. There is, as you say, "lost art." But there are also benefits.

And any photographer can set to one-shot and enjoy the satisfaction of having nailed it with one, or the disappoint of having missed it. If that makes the art/craft/fun richer, why not?

agree fully.. yes we could shoot with older cameras and usually we found work arounds... but why not leverage technology where avail? I agree BIFs in and other action pics sometimes you need to burst for a bit to get that right shot. This is in a pub... the lighting is only a bit brighter than incandescents.... but I'm trying to capture that moment during a jump which conveys 'rock n roll' (this is not my best, but tend to avoid posting faces without permission).. and before you say it.. I can't afford $5k and over, its a hobby.. no income from it.

Attachments

• _MG_8807.jpg
    _MG_8807.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
not sure that is possible for me to answer given the camera is not available nor sure why you'd ask me as if I could answer. its partially why I wouldn't pre-order, I don't know? but at same time what you describe isn't necessarily how I shoot (you may be different). I currently tend to focus once where I need it and shoot and refocus manually. The low light situations currently make it challenging to continually focus accurately... having said that, this is more sensitive focus in low light... so maybe it's better? won't know until further reviews.
Shoot and refocus manually (or If I guess correctly, focus, lock and recompose maybe which is both a usual and useful old method). In that case even a 6DII is more than that. Despite its non satisfactory AF system you underutilize it. Which means there is no practical AF advantage of the EOS R for you (and many more including myself). I enjoy being able to set a focus point (or points) while looking through the viewfinder. So 5000 points are not more useful than 1, 5, 9 or even 61 or 65 if you cannot select them while looking your theme. And for now both 5DMkIV and 200D can focus (and shoot if configured) anywhere you touch the back screen.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Shoot and refocus manually (or If I guess correctly, focus, lock and recompose maybe which is both a usual and useful old method). In that case even a 6DII is more than that. Despite its non satisfactory AF system you underutilize it. Which means there is no practical AF advantage of the EOS R for you (and many more including myself). I enjoy being able to set a focus point (or points) while looking through the viewfinder. So 5000 points are not more useful than 1, 5, 9 or even 61 or 65 if you cannot select them while looking your theme. And for now both 5DMkIV and 200D can focus (and shoot if configured) anywhere you touch the back screen.

not quite... estimate where I'll need my focus (think his head).. using 1.4 primes for extra light so very shallow dof.. recompose too much and its out of focus so I focus near the edges. The spread on the mk2 was clustered too much to the centre.

Upvote 0