Interview: Talking with Canon about the EOS R system and its future

Jul 21, 2010
It's going to make not a damn of difference at the level of resolution in the EVF or on the rear screen when composing.
No, but it’s huge when you can Bluetooth your jpgs to your iPhone then post them on low resolution social media. All the kids are doing that nowadays. ;)

Actually, application of the corrections to recorded video is a big deal, just not one I personally care about.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
What is the meaning of the F 2.8L text? The line immediately below my screenshot translates to 'scheduled release.'

View attachment 180301
"F2.8L Zoom lens, etc."
It's extremely vague, but gives the impression that other 2.8 zoom lenses or other lenses along those lines are scheduled to go on sale around that time.

Upvote 0
No, but it’s huge when you can Bluetooth your jpgs to your iPhone then post them on low resolution social media. All the kids are doing that nowadays. ;)

Actually, application of the corrections to recorded video is a big deal, just not one I personally care about.
Are kids the market for this camera?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think that they refer to it as a 5D level, but my 5D MK IV clearly has a lot of additional features that are just firmware and could be put in this camera, its better than a 6D possibly though.

It also reflects my opinion that Mirrorless cameras are over priced, it should cost less than a 6D and eventually will, once tooling and development costs are paid off. The lens prices will hold high until there is competition.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The suggestions (albeit translated) that high and low end cameras move to EOS R is interesting
That's a 5Ds and 5D4 on the left - what's on the right...

View attachment 180300

I'm still wondering at what point I end up moving to EOS R - http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/yes-i-welcome-eos-r/
Yes, The camera has all the features that I would use, so I'm wondering why I'd pay more for a higher level model. I really am getting up there in age, and wonder how much longer I will be taking enough photos to justify a new camera, so it may be sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
If it’s a new sensor why isn’t it 150MP 32-bit global shutter capable of far IR and gamma-ray imaging? You see the problem with your argument? You and your kin seem to share the misguided idea that engineering iterations can always be cleanly divided into ”tweaks” and ”new products”. It doesn’t work like that in reality.
The R does have an electronic shutter, btw.

Your reply is blown out of the proportions ironising what it is about imo. As Amorse states above, I find new R release mostly being a 6DIII without a mirror, not a 5DIV alternative, especially not in a AF area. Once R price goes lower, I wonder if ppl would still choose a 6DII instead?

Simply put - more and more it looks, like the crop in 4K is a technology limitation of recent sensor design, and not a marketing protection of the higher product line. And btw - when I mention an electronic shutter, I mean a global electronic shutter ....

There is something fishy about the situation and I did not found out yet, what it is :) I think, there is more to the EOS R ecosystem, than is visible at first sight. E.g. - you can't use M lenses on R mount. You can't use R lenses on EF mount (I still expect DSLRs to be here for a while, so no cross-backup strategy). Yet Canon took the route.

My personal prediction (and not that it matters) is, that the next R camera will introduce more of a new technology, especially in a sensor area. If we've got basically a 5DIV's sensor in a mid-range R, then I think Canon has something in its sleeves for a high-end model. A R-evolution.

Upvote 0
This indicates that the next two lenses canon will release will in 2019 and will be EF, not RF.

eosrlensroadmap.jpg
It says the EF-EOS R adapter and the ring adapter will be released now. The drop in filter mount adapters, C-PL and ND, will be released end of 2018 (or beginning of 2019). 2.8L zooms "and so on" will be released from 2019 and onwards.

Upvote 0
Newly developed 5IDV like sensor? Why does not it utilise an electronic shutter, BSI and allow no crop 4K video then? I would say that they have just tweaked a 5DIV sensor to accomodate larger DPAF area and that's just it ...

Canon has a long tradition of using the term "all new" for sensors that are merely adapted from one camera to another. There were dozens of 18mp sensors, each of which was "all new" relative to the last for a couple years back there. Maybe they consider an "all new" sensor to be one that isn't made from literally recycled parts. This camera's sensor is the 5d4 sensor with the adaptation of having microlenses that are made for the new flange difference. The performance, design, etc. is substantially identical to that of the 5d4's sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Your reply is blown out of the proportions ironising what it is about imo. As Amorse states above, I find new R release mostly being a 6DIII without a mirror, not a 5DIV alternative, especially not in a AF area. Once R price goes lower, I wonder if ppl would still choose a 6DII instead?

Simply put - more and more it looks, like the crop in 4K is a technology limitation of recent sensor design, and not a marketing protection of the higher product line. And btw - when I mention an electronic shutter, I mean a global electronic shutter ....

There is something fishy about the situation and I did not found out yet, what it is :) I think, there is more to the EOS R ecosystem, than is visible at first sight. E.g. - you can't use M lenses on R mount. You can't use R lenses on EF mount (I still expect DSLRs to be here for a while, so no cross-backup strategy). Yet Canon took the route.

My personal prediction (and not that it matters) is, that the next R camera will introduce more of a new technology, especially in a sensor area. If we've got basically a 5DIV's sensor in a mid-range R, then I think Canon has something in its sleeves for a high-end model. A R-evolution.

Well, that's like saying the 6DII is mostly a 5DIV with a flippy screen, which just isn't true for all sorts of obvious reasons. Personally, I would say that the R is more similar to a 5DIV than a 6D2 because of the sensor. Not just the resolution, obviously, but because of how it's positioned in Canon's lineup. Plus, lest we forget, you can't record 4k video on a 6D2.

From an AF perspective, there also look to be some 5D-level features that were explicitly removed from 6D2, like expanding AF points.

Regarding AF, it is my suspicion that the R will have the fastest autofocus speed of all mirrorless cameras built to date, but still be slower than 5D4 and D850, and probably even slower than 6D2 in raw autofocus speed (I hope to be pleasantly surprised to the contrary regarding the latter). Certainly, the A7R3 and A9 are vastly inferior in time to acquire autofocus when compared to 5D4 and 1DX2's dedicated PDAF sensors.

Upvote 0
I thought I read something that indicated that DLO was no longer just for JPGs, and that they were cooking the RAW with the corrections if it was chosen in the preferences. I could be wrong on that. I thought that was pretty cool until I saw the FPS ratings for the new R camera.

I thought it was wonderful PR speak in this interview when he mentioned that they were doing the DLO stuff without it affecting the frame rate. Yeah, they have a whole 1/3rd of a second to get the DLO cooking done for each frame in focus-priority servo AF. In that time, they should be washing my car and mowing my lawn, too.

Upvote 0
What will be the M future? Is there any official statement?

No official statement I am aware of. It was my question too - Canon introduced a situation, where two MILC worlds are not lens-compatible one way to the other. Of course, maybe we will see nice M lens ecosystem over time, plus EF lenses are here to stay too, but some ppl might feel left in the water with their M cameras. For a while I thought, that the next iteration of M cameras, could see an R mount (47mm vs 54mm), but that would make the M bigger with an equivalent lens? Just dunno.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Canon has a long tradition of using the term "all new" for sensors that are merely adapted from one camera to another. There were dozens of 18mp sensors, each of which was "all new" relative to the last for a couple years back there. Maybe they consider an "all new" sensor to be one that isn't made from literally recycled parts. This camera's sensor is the 5d4 sensor with the adaptation of having microlenses that are made for the new flange difference. The performance, design, etc. is substantially identical to that of the 5d4's sensor.
All-new sensor, as opposed to, for example, the 80D sensor which appears in a ton of APSC cameras.

There's nothing wrong with iterating and adapting the excellent 5D4 sensor -- which, makes it a new sensor. Based on the sample RAWs we saw yesterday, I'm not disappointed so far; I'll reserve judgement for production models widely available in reviewers' hands.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Talys that the R is a 6D2 + mirrorless features + 5D4 sensor (which the 6D2 should have had, and if it had had wouldn't be considered a disappointment relative to its previous positioning in the lineup).

The 5D4 is not a young camera. If the R is a 5 series, then it is taking away some key functionality from the mirrored 5 series (3 FPS in focus-priority servo AF mode) and indicating there shall be no sensor improvements in a 2 year span. I don't think a Canon engineer would proudly say, yes, this is our mirrorless 5 series. I think better of Canon than that, and expect to see a real 5 series equivalent at some point.

Upvote 0