Functionality being added to the Canon EOS R soon after release with firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I think it's different vs old eye tracking AF. Sony version is pressing a button for the AF to track the focus on the eye. Whereas Canon version, you use the eye to focus where to focus. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah, so I always misunderstood - it's about tracking the eye of the motif, not your own photographer's eye! I checked it now on the web, it's simply pattern recognition. Well, with the progress in artificial neural networks, including deep learning, much more will be possible in future (e.g. auto-masking of annoying mothers-in-law). Btw even my old Canon G7 had already a quite reliable face recognition AF (adequate to the tiny sensor's resolution of only 10 MP).

I personally would love to have an EOS 3 sort of EyeAF that really works. I am surely old school, but as long as my eyes are good enough, I can track my motifs by myself (I have to when I use some of my vintage cameras). But I understand that this makes the business of wedding photographers easier. They can have more free drinks and get their job properly done, because their camera takes over most of the work. It is like in the old times when you could heavily drink and drive, because your horse knew the way home.

Upvote 0
I never thought Canon has one of the best AF system until now.
  • 5635 AF points
  • -6EV with 1.2 lens
  • DPAF (world leading video AF)
  • eyeAF
  • Quickest AF for target acquisition

I'm not buying EOS-R since it's first generation and has one card slot. I'll wait for the next pro version.

I'm not sure Canon will catch up to Sony's eyeAF this generation, but I can see them catch up to them really quick.

Well, they will need 29 native lenses along with tens of native 3rd party lenses such as Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Rokinon, Meyer, Mitakon, Meike. As far as I know there are 205 lenses which are produced for e-mount by 3rd parties. Let's not forget that there are >100 Sony A-mount lenses which can be used on A7/A9 cameras with 4 different adapters.

It took 2 years for Canon and Nikon develop mirrorless FF cameras. I don't think that it's an easy process and taking into account how Sony is committed to innovation, the cat and mouse story will continue for a couple of more years.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Well, they will need 29 native lenses along with tens of native 3rd party lenses such as Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Rokinon, Meyer, Mitakon, Meike. As far as I know there are 205 lenses which are produced for e-mount by 3rd parties. Let's not forget that there are >100 Sony A-mount lenses which can be used on A7/A9 cameras with 4 different adapters.

It took 2 years for Canon and Nikon develop mirrorless FF cameras. I don't think that it's an easy process and taking into account how Sony is committed to innovation, the cat and mouse story will continue for a couple of more years.

And from what I have seen adapting A-mount lenses reduces a lot of AF and fps functionalities. Adapting Canon lenses looks like it will have much less impact.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It took 2 years for Canon and Nikon develop mirrorless FF cameras. I don't think that it's an easy process
How do you think the process is different from developing mirrorlass APS-C or 1" cameras?

and taking into account how Sony is committed to innovation, the cat and mouse story will continue for a couple of more years.
You mean that in about 2 years Sony may abandon its cameras, as it abandoned its laptops?

Upvote 0

Sure that's appealing for some people that want ALL those lens. I only care if Canon FF mirrorless adapter works well with EF lens which most reviewers say it does. I'm actually consolidate all my lens to 5 lens for wedding works. It involves trinity of lens, super fast telephoto prime, and a macro lens. I remember a statistic most photographers who buy interchangeable lens only buy 1-2 lens so buying those lens will be meaningless for most photographers.

I'm not a specs warrior and I'm not a videographer. I consider the overall system - ergonomics, handling, color, weather sealing, reliability, great EVF, support for EF lens. They just add eyeAF and will add continuous eyeAF via firmware. With that criteria, Canon is leading. Sony is leading in innovation in features (eyeAF, IBIS, 4K) but they also trail behind on weather sealing, fully touchscreen UI, fully articulate LCD, and ergonomic. That may not be important to you, but it's part of the user experience.

Canon won't provide the best bang for your buck, but it's the right tool for me. We are all spoiled with the available technology. There are more to camera than just specs. Any FF camera produce in the last 5 years will give you great pictures, now, it just make things easier (eyeAF, IBIS, EVF). Just choose the right tool for your needs.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
How do you think the process is different from developing mirrorlass APS-C or 1" cameras?

You mean that in about 2 years Sony may abandon its cameras, as it abandoned its laptops?

If it was an easy process, we could expect both Canon and Nikon could introduce better cameras then entry level A7III.

What is the relation between the laptop business and camera industry (where Sony has the 50% market share worldwide in imaging sensor business)?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If it was an easy process, we could expect both Canon and Nikon could introduce better cameras then entry level A7III.
Don't know about Nikon, but Canon have introduced a better camera than A7III. At least a better camera for me (but still not good enough to prefer over Canon DSLRs).

What is the relation between the laptop business and camera industry (where Sony has the 50% market share worldwide in imaging sensor business)?
Camera business is much closer to laptop business than to sensor business. I'd say the only common thing between camera business and sensor business is that both are businesses that involve some manufacturing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't know about Nikon, but Canon have introduced a better camera than A7III. At least a better camera for me (but still not good enough to prefer over Canon DSLRs).

Camera business is much closer to laptop business than to sensor business. I'd say the only common thing between camera business and sensor business is that both are businesses that involve some manufacturing.
OK :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

This is exactly my case. To look at it the another way, there is not a mirrorless that is good enough for me to prefer over Canon (or Nikon) DSLRs, yet. On the other hand, I will almost certainly buy an EOS R anyways -- not because it's better (for me) than a DSLR overall, but because it will probably have a few features I really like, and since they will share accessories and EF lenses, they can complement each other. It's also a good price point, and is the 5DIV I always wanted but that Canon never made -- that is with a flippy screen.

And on the bright side, I can grow my LPE6 battery and charger collection :D

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

I may be the odd man out on this one, but I am not really fond of the A7III. I much prefer either the A7R3 or the A9 (yes, I understand they cost more, too). The EVF hit is just too much for me, and although I have nothing against the lower megapixels, it really makes crop mode much less useful. Given a choice between the 3 current Sony FF's, I would probably still take A7R3 for a blend of value and featureset.

There are certainly some nice features in the A7III, but the EOS R seems to have a better blend of the features that I personally care about - DPAF, reversible tilty screen, a nice spot for resolution, a touch screen that works, better battery life, a bigger body and a normal flash shoe (hopefully, also, it works with a normal flash illuminator). Of course, EF compatibility is huge. It's not that I don't like IBIS, 2 cards, joystick, and a few other things with Sony. I just don't really value them as highly.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is exactly my case. To look at it the another way, there is not a mirrorless that is good enough for me to prefer over Canon (or Nikon) DSLRs, yet. On the other hand, I will almost certainly buy an EOS R anyways -- not because it's better (for me) than a DSLR overall, but because it will probably have a few features I really like, and since they will share accessories and EF lenses, they can complement each other. It's also a good price point, and is the 5DIV I always wanted but that Canon never made -- that is with a flippy screen.

And on the bright side, I can grow my LPE6 battery and charger collection :D
Phil, you are succumbing to GAS.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

Laptops were dropped simply because they were losing money. Sony has a reputation of dropping products that do not make lots of money, and also stopping support of products once a later model is released. I have not seen this happening with their newer high end cameras, so they are aware of their bad reputation, and have so far done a good job of support.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Laptops were dropped simply because they were losing money. Sony has a reputation of dropping products that do not make lots of money, and also stopping support of products once a later model is released. I have not seen this happening with their newer high end cameras, so they are aware of their bad reputation, and have so far done a good job of support.

This is where I prevaricate about Sony - yes, they seem to want to succeed in the camera market and are really doing all they can to push it through. Their sensors have given them a massive boost to underpin their development and they do seem to realise that they now have to solidify the 'non-spec sheet stuff' like after sales support and ergonomics. But at the end of the day, there are now 3 new competitors in the FF ML field and unless they make more of an effort to build a native user base instead of relying on stealing clients from Canon/Nikon/Panasonic they may drift towards that 'is it making enough money' point.
Also, they have brought in the A73 at an amazing price. Current wisdom talk about ML being cheaper to produce than DSLR but I am not convinced that makes such a big difference and I suspect that the profit margins they need per unit to recoup R&D investments add more to Sony than CaNikon. And their A7R3 and A9 have taken a permanent 15% drop in price here in the UK and was this built into their costing forecasts?
I think Sony are looking at their imaging in a way that they would not have done even a couple of years ago and using it as a high-profile 'flagship' for their sensors, and maybe they need to accept lower profit margins than they historically would have done. I hope so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.