Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I'm sure they won't stop selling EF system from tonight. They kept 'officially selling' film cameras until some years ago too.

But I'm pretty confident their long term plans are the RF system.
The R system does not make anything obsolete, it is a wonderful addition.
My 20 year old L glass will still be here in 20 more years unless Canon invents new optics or their newer bodies outresolve these lenses.
I occasionally shoot film with my old 650 and A2e EOS bodies.
And my walkabout kit is a 2012 EOS 6D with 1990s 28-105 USM kit lens. The smallest imaginable full frame system with very good image quality.
Ordered the R last night with RF 24-105L and control adapter for my EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had one in my cart last night, but while next day shipping for the camera was free, when I added the $99 EF adapter, overnight shipping went to $50. Ordering it separately, the cost to ship the adapter was also high. The same for extra lenses.

I finally decided that I did not see enough advantages to replace my SL-2 with the R as a second camera to my 5D MK IV. I can get a 7% discount by ordering directly from Canon, by using my employee discount from my company, but I prefer to buy from Adorama and support CR.

If the adapter had been bundled, I would have ordered it, but there was no guarantee of getting the adapter along with the camera, and I wanted to use only EF lenses to start as I checked out the body.

Upvote 0

vaotix

EOS R, 80D
Sep 4, 2018
Boston, MA
I had one in my cart last night, but while next day shipping for the camera was free, when I added the $99 EF adapter, overnight shipping went to $50. Ordering it separately, the cost to ship the adapter was also high. The same for extra lenses.

I finally decided that I did not see enough advantages to replace my SL-2 with the R as a second camera to my 5D MK IV. I can get a 7% discount by ordering directly from Canon, by using my employee discount from my company, but I prefer to buy from Adorama and support CR.

If the adapter had been bundled, I would have ordered it, but there was no guarantee of getting the adapter along with the camera, and I wanted to use only EF lenses to start as I checked out the body.

I'm going to order from Amazon. I can do interest free financing for a year (though, I'll pay it off way before then) and get free shipping.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Meanwhile in Europe:
Eos R + cheapest adaptor : 2 519,99 € = 2,922.47 US$
Eos R + 24-105 F4 : 3 529,99 € = 4,094.17 US$
50mm f1.2 : 2 519,99 € = 2,922.47 US$
28-70 f2 : 3 249 € = 3,768.26 US$
Adaptor with control ring : 229€ = 265.57 US$
Adaptor with CPL: 329€ = 381.56 US$
Adaptor with Vari ND : 449€ = 520.71 US$

We are quite far from the announced prices
:eek:

:cool: Let me know what I can buy for you and ship over there directly to you. :)

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Why do you think they just announced some very expensive highend ef (the 400 and 600 mm) lenses? Looks like that is a statement of continued commitment to the ef system for some time to come. At least via the converter especially when its output will be similar in quality as the native EF mounts performance

Just imagine either of those new lenses (400mm or 600mm) mounted on a new EOS R with the new EF - R adapter enabling extra electronic control of the lens via the adapter... with all of those focus points available.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure it will be a long and protracted, and messy switch from EF to RF for some.

I want to buy the 11-24mm but I'm not going to spend that money on a lens with an end of life mount. If I buy an RF lens it won't be compatible with my relatively new EF bodies, 5D IV and 7D II. To complicate things, I'm not even convinced anymore that the advantages of mirrorless are worth the headaches at the moment for me.

I remember when I switched from FD to EF, it was a no brainer, but this time round, not so much, especially with the non-compatiblity with the EOS M system.
Totally agree. I still have a F1n and FD lenses in a closet somewhere, and shoot with Sony mirroless often, alongside my 5d4. In low light mirrorless just don't seem to have the performance. (they switch over to contrast detect AF kinda early for me) I think there maybe an advantage to a separate AF sensor with a few big sites vs all those tiny ones on the main image sensor. Looking forward to an AF shoot out between the "R" and a 5D4 or 1dxII. Also don't care for EVFs on sunny wide DR days. (for my Sony anyway, with last year's technology)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I have 3 EF lens. Question - Would you go for the basic adapter or the one with control ring (slightly more expensive)? Your thoughts?

The control ring can only be set for 4 things:
  • Shutter speed
  • Lens aperture
  • ISO
  • Exposure compensation
In all likelihood, I would not choose the adapter with the control ring for my shooting preferences, but I will reserve my final decision until I can actually handle the camera and see what buttons I can customize to set ISO and exposure compensation.

Upvote 0
I have 3 EF lens. Question - Would you go for the basic adapter or the one with control ring (slightly more expensive)? Your thoughts?

From a usability POV, I'm thinking the CR adapter might make EF and RF lenses behave more similarly. Otherwise every time you swap, you'll have to adapt to re-mapped controls.

Upvote 0
So tempted to put the preorder in for a body and adapter with control ring. Need to wait a little longer until a few more impressions talking about adapted lenses on the body though.
I'm in the same boat. So tempted....

I also had one in my cart. Just couldn't pull the trigger though. Maybe I should since this would replace my aging 70D.

IF I buy one, I'm getting the control ring adapter for no reason other than I can.

Upvote 0
hahaha. Photoshopped R-mount onto an EOS M6. You won't fool us so easily. :)

Close, but no:
No photoshop
Different dimensions (mostly width) - see good space around the grip.
RF mount would not fit EOS M6 this nice.
Quite a few differences made - front sensors, writings, lens release button, main sensor color and more... Controls are same, indeed.

But yes, having fun! :)
That is the camera I would preorder for $1299 instead of possibly oncoming Sony A7R II...

This is how it would go against M6 and EOS R:

Compa02.jpg

Not much bigger. Slap pancake 28mm R f/2.0 lens on it and you´re good to go. That would be my EDC heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Close, but no:
No photoshop

Give it up. It is nothing but a photoshopped M6.

your fake camera:
index.php

EOS M6
m6_600x600.jpg

55mm filter lens nicely matches shopped in 54mm RF mount. And yes, the shopper has elongated the camera body a bit. That's all. lol.

Upvote 0