So far so good, the Canon EOS R pleasantly surprised Jared

Dec 13, 2010
Thank you, Mr. Teacher. You mean this new tiny touchscreen, right? I speak about using the EVF, not working with the big LCD screen, which seems to show an annoying lag, according to DPR. Hope this replacement will come close to the joystick's performance (if you are correct). Well, I gonna test an R anyway before I buy one.

You can use the screen for AF point selection whilst using the EVF, and if it’s too big, you can use a smaller area, much like a Wacom, so there’s that:cool:

Upvote 0
Thank you, Mr. Teacher. You mean this new tiny touchscreen, right? I speak about using the EVF, not working with the big LCD screen, which seems to show an annoying lag, according to DPR. Hope this replacement will come close to the joystick's performance (if you are correct). Well, I gonna test an R anyway before I buy one.

Thank goodness you aren't designing cameras! Good luck moving between 5000+ AF points with a joystick. This has already been mentioned 100+ times here, and in every EOS R youtube review video.. you select AF points by dragging your thumb on the rear LCD screen. Not the touch-bar. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. There is no lag. It's a very similar screen to the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
In all honesty, I do wonder about the level of impartiality a reviewer that has been treated at Canon's expense can have. Personally, I found his video pretty fair and honest. But I have no problem with the people who lay into Canon, hands-on experience or not, for not including certain things that have at this point (and pricepoint) become an industry standard. I'm more inclined to think someone is in Canon's pocket if they offer effusive praise without any (or obviously softened) criticism. I saw one reviewer saying basically 'you have no right to criticize this camera that you've never touched' and I don't agree with that. That's exactly what spec sheets are for- to give us factual information about the camera in data form. Yes, there are intangibles such as ergonomics and UX that may make us more flexible in what we accept, but they don't necessarily negate or absolve the specs from obvious omissions.

I think the spec sheet gives you some base information, but I agree that it certainly doesn't tell the whole story. Having reviewers on site is really the only way to showcase those intangibles (i.e. ergonomics and user experience) though, which is how we get into this impartiality mess. If camera companies want reviewers to try out their cameras in an environment that showcases the camera's capabilities, the reviewers are likely to get flown out to a test location and thus impartiality will always be questioned. The same thing (and concerns) happened when Sony flew reviewers out to New York to test the a9. I don't think I have seen one review of the EOS R that forgot to mention the key shortcomings, so I'm inclined to say the reviewers are not giving the camera a break because they went to Hawaii.

At the end of the day every camera model offers a package or combination of those desired features at a price point their parent companies feel will be compelling. Canon has been frequently ridiculed for releasing bodies which are missing one feature or another, but they do almost always have a separate feature which is unique to their system and presents a different value proposition. This characteristic that Canon is so frequently ridiculed for may actually be its greatest strength - omitting some features in favour of adding features which are unique to the brand help to distinguish their company from others while keeping price points comparable. Obviously if Canon included all the features people are missing in reviews, the camera's price point would likely have to increase, or they'd have to remove some features unique to the camera. For instance, the R's features which seem to be really driving the ire of reviewers are single card slots, no FF 4k, no 120 fps at 1080p, slow burst mode, eye-af single shooting only, no rapid silent shutter. On the other hand, the R comes with several features which are unique and can only be found on their system (and in some cases maybe in one more camera) such as: flip/rotate screen on full frame mirrorless, control ring on lenses, sensor protection by shutter while camera is off, drop in filters on adapter, focus at f/11 (2x tele on many more lenses with af possible), focus at -6 ev, and arguably the most exciting launch lens lineup (subjective to be fair). It seems that Canon believes that the unique features list is going to drive more sales than the missing feature list will lose. I don't know if they're right, but I would say if given the option to choose between having all the features missing from the R or having all the unique features from the R, I would probably chose the R's unique features. To each their own though!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think the spec sheet gives you some base information, but I agree that it certainly doesn't tell the whole story. Having reviewers on site is really the only way to showcase those intangibles (i.e. ergonomics and user experience) though, which is how we get into this impartiality mess. If camera companies want reviewers to try out their cameras in an environment that showcases the camera's capabilities, the reviewers are likely to get flown out to a test location and thus impartiality will always be questioned. The same thing (and concerns) happened when Sony flew reviewers out to New York to test the a9. I don't think I have seen one review of the EOS R that forgot to mention the key shortcomings, so I'm inclined to say the reviewers are not giving the camera a break because they went to Hawaii.

At the end of the day every camera model offers a package or combination of those desired features at a price point their parent companies feel will be compelling. Canon has been frequently ridiculed for releasing bodies which are missing one feature or another, but they do almost always have a separate feature which is unique to their system and presents a different value proposition. This characteristic that Canon is so frequently ridiculed for may actually be its greatest strength - omitting some features in favour of adding features which are unique to the brand help to distinguish their company from others while keeping price points comparable. Obviously if Canon included all the features people are missing in reviews, the camera's price point would likely have to increase, or they'd have to remove some features unique to the camera. For instance, the R's features which seem to be really driving the ire of reviewers are single card slots, no FF 4k, no 120 fps at 1080p, slow burst mode, eye-af single shooting only, no rapid silent shutter. On the other hand, the R comes with several features which are unique and can only be found on their system (and in some cases maybe in one more camera) such as: flip/rotate screen on full frame mirrorless, control ring on lenses, sensor protection by shutter while camera is off, drop in filters on adapter, focus at f/11 (2x tele on many more lenses with af possible), focus at -6 ev, and arguably the most exciting launch lens lineup (subjective to be fair). It seems that Canon believes that the unique features list is going to drive more sales than the missing feature list will lose. I don't know if they're right, but I would say if given the option to choose between having all the features missing from the R or having all the unique features from the R, I would probably chose the R's unique features. To each their own though!
The most unique feature is native compatibility with EF, EF-s, and R lenses; albeit using an adapter with the former two mounts. Canon glass rules.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, so far the reviews look promising. They are much better, than what Canon usually gets. Maybe, people weren't expecting that much from C.
I also like what I've seen so far; Canon addressed the main concern I had with mirrorless so far. Sony was (is) all about downsizing, which works against the ergonomics in some areas; a camera is a single purpose tool, and we need to make adjustments fast, at best with dedicated buttons. The EOS R is a little bit bigger than the A7, and so it offers more buttons, and a bigger grip. I like what they did, maybe, I can somehow justify to spend so much on a camera.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Thank goodness you aren't designing cameras! Good luck moving between 5000+ AF points with a joystick.
That's not a lot, if the joystick is done right. Even better, a joustick can be held in a fixed position to track monotonously moving targets.

This has already been mentioned 100+ times here, and in every EOS R youtube review video.. you select AF points by dragging your thumb on the rear LCD screen. Not the touch-bar. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. while looking through the viewfinder. There is no lag. It's a very similar screen to the 5DIV.
Thumb? I have a nose there.

Maybe I should select AF points by dragging my nose?

Upvote 0
The rear LCD is the joystick replacement. It’s faster and easier to select AF points through the viewfinder. Stop complaining about the joystick ommision. It’s there. If you have a thumb, you can easily and quickly change the AF point.
How about when you flip vertically with the grip and you can't reach the LCD anymore with your thumb? Did you think of that one? Also i've said a touch sensitive pad where the joystick would be would be a nice option.

Upvote 0
FYI it looks like Fro (and others) are getting subtly accused of going easy on the Canon EOS R because Canon flew a lot of youtube reviewers out to Hawaii to test the body. Fro had a podcast on it last night I think addressing the suggestion. The argument has been "maybe if Nikon put out more for the reviewers they wouldn't of been so hard on the Z7 and Z6".

God forbid someone say something nice about a Canon camera. If you want to have some fun, search EOS R on youtube and count how many icons have someone doing a facepalm in it. The frothing hype around new mirrorless cameras is getting a bit silly. Well, "getting" may be a bit of an overstatement.
That is not correct. I'm not "taking it easy" on Canon because they flew us to Hawaii. Nikon "flew" people to NYC for their event. I don't need to fly to NYC since I live in Philly.

What Nikon needed to do was put cameras in our hands for more than an hour. Canon put cameras in our hands and we had three days to use them and at the end take them home for 6 weeks to continue using them. So in an hour at the Nikon event, you can't exactly learn how to use the camera full, thus why I didn't put out a review, only a preview.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

vaotix

EOS R, 80D
Sep 4, 2018
Boston, MA
Love that we're seeing more and more impressions/reviews. Camera seems like a great fit for me. Only thing preventing me from pre-ordering now is I need to hear from someone with hands-on time with the camera if there's a performance difference between native Canon EF lenses and 3rd party EF lenses using the adapter on this camera. All the impressions so far have only mentioned Canon glass but I have a few Sigma Art lenses I can't do without.

Upvote 0
That is not correct. I'm not "taking it easy" on Canon because they flew us to Hawaii. Nikon "flew" people to NYC for their event. I don't need to fly to NYC since I live in Philly.

What Nikon needed to do was put cameras in our hands for more than an hour. Canon put cameras in our hands and we had three days to use them and at the end take them home for 6 weeks to continue using them. So in an hour at the Nikon event, you can't exactly learn how to use the camera full, thus why I didn't put out a review, only a preview.

Thanks for the response. I'm not accusing you of taking it easy, I think you were absolutely fair. I was noting that some other reviewers and commenters were making the suggestion that the responses to Canon were not impartial because people were flown around. I disagree with that - I think you have to handle the camera to understand the value proposition it provides, which means you have to be where the camera is. In fact, I find it really interesting to compare responses to the camera from people who have handled it versus those that have just seen the spec sheet.

My only point in my initial comment was noting that those accusations were floating around, not that they were valid. I think you are right to reserve comments on the Nikon cameras until you have sufficient time to review and test.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this camera at the moment. It's probably a solid camera, yes. But it has a bad 4k crop, no 120 in 1080, generally not the best video functions..

Because its a camera first, if you want a video camera first then go buy a video camera. Why the constant bashing on video? I dont care for video, I'm buying a Camera. You want something that does everything for peanuts money.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
why would a fully capable mirrorfree sports camera "upset" sports photographers??

even or especially if it were launched today?

even or especially if it were superior to the best "legacy" mirrorslappers?

weird thinking. but possibly it really does reflect backwards-oriented octogenarian Canon board room's thinking.

luckily Sony, Fuji and - hopefully - Panasonic are different.

It's just not proven yet. Even if Canon released a 1R along side with the R TODAY, with same exact or better specs than the 1DX2, all the sports photographers in the world won't just immediately switch. The 1DX2 is proven and reliable. Journalists and Sports Photographers need proven reliability, not just spec sheets.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Exactly what I decided to do. Shooting mostly stills, my 5D3 still serves me well, and it looks like it'll keen to survive it's official lifetime end with roughly 150.000 actuations now. Still no signs of fatigue.

For me, there is one fundamental question left open since I shoot a lot of wildlife, mostly birding: is a ML with EVF really the better option? Everybody doing wildlife knows those hours sitting in a hide, peering frequently through the viewfinder and waiting for something to happen. With an OVF you don't drain the battery doing that, but with an EVF you do. So, maybe, shooting wildlife with a ML camera means carrying substantially more batteries in the package.

I do a lot of underwater photography and the equipment is very expensive, especially the housing which is specific to the 5DM3. I'm committed to that camera for the foreseeable future. I don't see the housing manufacturers milling housings for this camera just yet, and whether it's even possible given the touch-controls. I hope Canon does go to manual controls like the joystick for their higher-end ML cameras. Dual slots is a necessity in my line of underwater work, and of course battery life. My 5DM3 runs forever on one charge and I don't have to remove it from a sealed, pressurized housing due to batteries. Whatever ML camera I get someday has to have that kind of longevity.

Upvote 0
the problem with these guys (and nothing personal against him) is that the moment you tell me: buy from my links, I just can't take you any differently than a best buy sales guy working on commission.
My understanding is that the BestBuy sales guys do not work on commission. But, of course they do want their store to have good sales so as to not go out of business. Personally, I trust some of the reviewers and you get to know their biases after reading them over a long period of time.

Upvote 0
Everyone complaining about the LCD being used for AF point selection istead of the old, slow joystick: wait until the camera arrives. Then you can keep complaining, or experience the future of AF point selection. Oh yeah, there's also the multi-directional pad and the control dial if you decide drag AF is too fast for you. Options for everyone really. It reminds me of those weddings where you see the couple awkwardly posing for ages...then start to look at each other (as if to say umm who is this guy trying to take out photos)..while the "photographer" is still screaming at them to "hold". Just take the damn photo already!

Upvote 0
That's not a lot, if the joystick is done right. Even better, a joustick can be held in a fixed position to track monotonously moving targets.

Thumb? I have a nose there.

Maybe I should select AF points by dragging my nose?

Did you operate the joystick with your nose? Maybe a used 5DII is more suited for your needs.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I doubt there will be a 1R for at least a few years. I could possibly see the 5DV become a 5R but I’ve got my money that there will be a mirrored 1DX3 in 2020. I’ve got a 1DX2 and went paired with a 70-200 2.8 or other big whites, It has very good balance and feel. Don’t think canon would want to upset pro sports photographers. I could see a 1R come out a few years later as an alternative but I would bet they would want to mature the native lens lineup before retiring the tried and true full size 1D mirror body.
I love my 1Dx2 with the 70-200 2.8 II and with the 100-400 II. Low light performance, focus tracking under extreme conditions, and FPS bursts are key features of the 1Dx2 for my sports work. The new R lays the groundwork for more advancements in these areas, especially with over 5,000 focus points and eye focus.

I know, I've been slammed for suggesting that the R's eye focus is almost as good as Sony's because Canon's version doesn't offer it in servo -- yet. I'm given Canon the benefit of the doubt. Software and CPU development have been a strength of Canon and I have no doubt that firmware updates will improve upon the R's eye focus function and I also expect the future "pro" R to take this a step further.

I've been a hold out from mirrorless and saw no reason to consider it, largely because the 1Dx and 1Dx2 have met my needs well and Canon has the glass. But, if the new R is a non-Pro body, I see great potential for the Pro R version. Sports is where Canon hangs its hat and if Canon is working on a flagship mirrorless body, it will be a sports body. The 2020 Games will be a great opportunity for Canon to make a lot of noise in the industry with 1Rx.

I also wonder if the potential of dual pixel to tweak focus after the fact will be further developed with future sensors and software.

While I'm on the limb, might I suggest that the EOS R announcement, with its several lenses, will hurt the future Sony. I give Sony 5-10 years of relevance. Sony has been alone with its mirrorless bodies, but they failed to demonstrate a long term commitment to the glass. The "system" has been Canon's strength. They introduced the F1 surrounded by lots of FD glass, they introduced the EOS as a system with EF lenses, and now we have the EOS R -- which is "backed" by the current EF lineup thanks to the adapters.

Sony has a history of exploring technology leading products, then switching gears. They introduced the Walkman, but didn't stick with it long enough and let Apple run away with the pocket audio market with their iPod. Sony woke up two sleeping photo giants, but without a serious commitment to glass (and flash), Sony has just been dabbling in the photo stills business. Now that Canon and Nikon have made their commitments to mirrorless systems known, I expect Sony to switching gears is the near future -- maybe back to video.

Upvote 0