Next Canon FF sensor

Oct 29, 2012
I read the article referenced in a couple of different threads about the sensor business, the one from Germany. I’m sure most here have read it too. Very interesting.

If true, then Canon will likely be behind Sony in sensor tech for some time.

Having said that, the 5D4 sensor is pretty good IMHO and even on DXO it is really not that far behind.

The sensor in the R looks like the 5d4 sensor in what sure looks like a “6DR”. Coupled with the comments by a Canon exec in another thread here, I wonder if Canon has a new generation hi-res sensor in the works and if that means the next R is a “5DsrR”?

If so, we might even see it in a DSLR AND an R body.

I’m just waiting for either one, but the R sure looks tempting. The only two things stopping me from ordering one right now are the fact that IQ is the same as my 5d4’s and the fact that I need 5d level of weather resistance.

Hopefully the next R is announced fairly soon so we know where they’re going. Since we know Canon is in the FF ML game, they really have nothing to lose by making their roadmap at least a little clear..

Mar 2, 2012
What does that even mean?

Presumably semiconductor industry people can satisfactorily ballpark state-of-the-art. Whether Sony is SOTA and Canon is not (or: which is closer), I take no position; it’s not my industry. However, that’s all I can think it could legitimately mean. However in general use I suspect it’s a hodgepodge of personal preferences and general impressions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The next full frame sensor will probably be 26-28mp for mirrorless. Faster throughput for faster fps for faster bodies. I can see a cross between a 5d4 and 1dxii on the next iteration.
If that is true, then today's release of specs for upcoming camera bodies may be foreshadowing exactly this FFM camera. If so, I hope there is an announcement sooner rather than later so we can get some perspective on the the new FFM system. I instinctively want the EOS-R but a new (even if more expensive) generation sensor would be even more attractive, and I would wait a reasonable interval for it.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
What does that even mean?

According to the article, Sony's ability to spread R & D costs over making vast numbers of sensors for all kinds of devices and third parties, particularly phones, means they can make a business case for much faster sensor development than a smaller scale manufacturer of sensors, such as Canon. so they do. Which is why Sonikon has the sensors they have and we have what we have. And unless Canon can sell a lot more sensors, that probably won't change.

Is the 5D4 sensor "good enough"? Right now, sure. So was the sensor in my 5D3 in its day. But there is a marked difference between those two. And there is a difference between the current Sony sensors and anything we have. It's significance is obviously controversial. But they can make a 40+Mp sensor with greater speed and DR and market it without an AA filter. I think a lot of people just really would like Canon to offer something like that. In other words, a 5Dsr equivalent with sensor tech that is not from 2012. I don't think a lot of folks would care if its mirrorless or not. Personally I hope it is, since the new RF lenses will be the way of the future. But if it's a dslr, that's OK too, since the EF lenses aren't too shabby either.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
According to the article, Sony's ability to spread R & D costs over making vast numbers of sensors for all kinds of devices and third parties, particularly phones, means they can make a business case for much faster sensor development than a smaller scale manufacturer of sensors, such as Canon. so they do. Which is why Sonikon has the sensors they have and we have what we have. And unless Canon can sell a lot more sensors, that probably won't change.

Is the 5D4 sensor "good enough"? Right now, sure. So was the sensor in my 5D3 in its day. But there is a marked difference between those two. And there is a difference between the current Sony sensors and anything we have. It's significance is obviously controversial. But they can make a 40+Mp sensor with greater speed and DR and market it without an AA filter. I think a lot of people just really would like Canon to offer something like that. In other words, a 5Dsr equivalent with sensor tech that is not from 2012. I don't think a lot of folks would care if its mirrorless or not. Personally I hope it is, since the new RF lenses will be the way of the future. But if it's a dslr, that's OK too, since the EF lenses aren't too shabby either.

Well, what will be, will be. Differences among sensors are significant only to the extent that they affect the quality of the images that we produce. How much is enough? How big do you want to print? Unless you use a tripod every time you can, you are compromising IQ. Does it really make a difference? Maybe. Sometimes. Most likely Canon has a sensor or two in the pipeline. So we shall see bye and bye. Have a good day.

Upvote 0