Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Apr 23, 2018
  • K433 = EOS R "entry level";
    same old 5D IV sensor as EOS R, even lower specs,
    hopefully smaller body and low price
    • Mirrorless camera, Full size, Maximum image size of test machine: 6240 x 4160, Probably will be released within 1 year
  • K435 = EOS 90D or 78D
    • Single lens reflex camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Battery level indication is displayed in 4 levels (same as 9000 D etc.), Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000, Probably released in 2019
  • K436 = EOS / Rebel 900D
    • Single lens reflex camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Battery level indication is displayed in 4 levels (same as 9000 D etc.),Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000,Probably released in 2019
  • K437 = 5D V
    • Single lens reflex camera, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Battery level indicator is displayed in six levels (same as 5D Mark IV etc.), Maximum image size of test machine: 6960 × 4640, Probably released in 2019 or later
  • EC 811 = EOS M5 II
    • Mirrorless camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000, Probably released in 2019
  • EC 812 = EOS M6 II
    • Mirrorless camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000, Probably released in 2019 or later

Upvote 0
This one potentially looks like 5D Mk V. 32.2Mpix. If it has an articulating screen, GPS and dual card slot it's a must have one.

I was thinking along similar lines. Although a 2-3 year window between the mark 4 and mark 5 is pretty quick by Canon standards. Maybe Sony's refresh cycle is forcing Canon to react. The articulating touchscreen would be a welcome addition. C-RAW and CR3 are near certainties, and probably the Eye AF in liveview mode as well. I'm hoping Canon ditches the CFast slot and just goes to dual UHS-II; the staggered media types left the 5D IV somewhat gimped in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I was thinking along similar lines. Although a 2-3 year window between the mark 4 and mark 5 is pretty quick by Canon standards. Maybe Sony's refresh cycle is forcing Canon to react. The articulating touchscreen would be a welcome addition. C-RAW and CR3 are near certainties, and probably the Eye AF in liveview mode as well. I'm hoping Canon ditches the CFast slot and just goes to dual UHS-II; the staggered media types left the 5D IV somewhat gimped in my opinion.

Sony refresh times also seem to be lengthening which suggests they are reaching 'diminsihing returns' on what is already an excellent set of cameras.
The 5DIV does not have CFast, did you mean CF. Even so I am not sure why it 'gimps' the 5DIV? I know that CF had advantages over SD cards but not sure if the differences are still there but now increasingly negligible.

Upvote 0
Even so I am not sure why it 'gimps' the 5DIV? I know that CF had advantages over SD cards but not sure if the differences are still there but now increasingly negligible.

I wasn't referring to the CF card media gimping the 5D IV, but rather the combination of a dual-media type with one having a faster transfer speed than the other. I'd rather see cameras come configured with identical throughput to identical media types. For example, I also found the Olympus OM-D E-M1 II being a bit of a disappointment with only one of its SD slots being UHS-II (and the A7 III & A7R III). Panasonic set a good example with the G9, though.

It may be more problematic for Canon to go that route since they've used CF for so long. A lot of users will have amassed a sizable collection, and thus Canon will likely continue to support CF in the 5D-series. Although I expect the next 1D-series camera (whether EF or RF) to use the new CF Express media type when it hits the market. We might see one of those before the 2020 games for the RF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
For everyone debating where the EOS R is placed, I'm almost positive it is closer to the 6D line than the 5D line despite having almost the exact same sensor in it!

Exactly. A lot of the features and firmware are Powershot features, many DSLR features seem to be reserved for a higher model, or there is not adequate processor power to run them without slowing down performance even more.

As far as a high MP model, I think that there are still issues to work out. A high MP sensor probably requires a more powerful Digic 8+ and a bigger battery, or two digic processors to handle the heavy data requirements along with a bigger battery.

Upvote 0
dual processors might be nice too

Yeah maybe. However that I don't care much about, I'm more concerned about available functionality. If they achieve the result with DIGIC1, it's fine. I wouldn't mind even an AMD with Linux inside, I'm not really concerned what's inside my camera. Unless they use Windows 95 internally... :)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Or at least the "+" edition of the Digic just like in the 5DMkIV or 5DMkIII
With only the single processor, the R seems to me to be at the 5D lite level at best, even if it is a notch above the 6D level. It seems to me that anything pricier than the R will most likely have a new sensor and much more processing power. (And it may even have 2 card slots!).

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yeah maybe. However that I don't care much about, I'm more concerned about available functionality. If they achieve the result with DIGIC1, it's fine. I wouldn't mind even an AMD with Linux inside, I'm not really concerned what's inside my camera. Unless they use Windows 95 internally... :)
Fair enough. The proof is in the pudding, but the functionality will depend at least in part on processing power.

Upvote 0

Yep. I had a card failure in my 5DMkIV. Thankfully I use both slots. I mostly do landscapes, sometimes having to put significant effort and time to get to a location. I'd be hugely disappointed if I'd lost my images, even though my photography isn't hugely profitable. I've done some events/concerts also. There I can't afford a single card slot either because of ~200-300 people waiting for photos.
Articulating screen would be great to have, too. Higher resolution and higher DR are even more important. GPS is a nice icing on the 5DIV cake.

So from EOS R I only get an articulating screen and lose dual card and GPS. That sounds like a downgrade from 5DIV. After reading and viewing EOS R reviews and specs, I've realised that the presence of the pentaprism in my camera isn't a huge factor at all, it's somewhere in the middle of my list along with weight and compactness. As long as the crucial aspects are addressed and improved, I'm ready to buy a new camera.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. The proof is in the pudding, but the functionality will depend at least in part on processing power.
Yeah I don't care much about video, but EOS R can do full-sized HD@60. That can only be done with reading the whole image and downsampling. So the system is able to read the whole sensor @60Hz (not to mention 720p@120). Therefore the issue is either in CPU+memory+bus performance when compressing 4K or in stupid marketing decisions. The former can be resolved with more powerful/efficient h/w, the latter is beyond engineering and common sense...

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
They're already struggling with getting data off the sensor of the EOS R, as evidenced by the worst-in-class FPS, worst-in-class 4K, worst-in-class AF tracking with continuous AF, etc. Upping the megapixels will simply compound this issue. DPAF is absolutely fantastic and incredibly novel, but it's hamstringing the hell out of their cameras.
Canon has a way of coming up with performance levels that appall the internet buzzards. This seems to be particularly true of fps and 4k. It also seems clear that Canon wasn't trying to push the performance envelope much with the R, if you don't count the RF mount or a couple of new RF lenses. So, the questions become what the performance levels will be for the next R that is rolled out at a higher price point, and when we will see it.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yeah I don't care much about video, but EOS R can do full-sized HD@60. That can only be done with reading the whole image and downsampling. So the system is able to read the whole sensor @60Hz (not to mention 720p@120). Therefore the issue is either in CPU+memory+bus performance when compressing 4K or in stupid marketing decisions. The former can be resolved with more powerful/efficient h/w, the latter is beyond engineering and common sense...
Actually, the issue could be a combination of available throughput, design tradeoffs, and perception of consumer preference. With the 5DIV, for example, the goal of producing a quieter camera may have worked against higher fps. Also, Canon may have its own notions about who really cares about fps and fullframe 4K and who does not.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
They're already struggling with getting data off the sensor of the EOS R, as evidenced by the worst-in-class FPS, worst-in-class 4K, worst-in-class AF tracking with continuous AF, etc. Upping the megapixels will simply compound this issue. DPAF is absolutely fantastic and incredibly novel, but it's hamstringing the hell out of their cameras.
You are not the first to suggest that while everyone loves DPAF, perhaps it is somehow crippling or handicapping the other feature sets you enumerated above, features which we are demanding in any new camera. We are now all hoping the next gen R ups the anty.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
You did see that they released an EF to RF adapter, right? I fail to understand why there is such an urgent need for these lenses with an RF mount when they already exist in EF and will work on any RF camera that's released. What is to be gained by making an RF version, except for perhaps slightly better image stabilization, which nobody seems to be complaining about on the current 70-200 and 400 2.8?
Supposedly faster and quieter focus on RF mount

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Unfortunately, this could be right. Canon would rather leave hybrid stills/video money on the table than cannibalize. Of course, the other guy could be right, too, that they just don't have the sensor tech for efficient FF 4K video, let alone 4K 60p, but I find that hard to believe. The 1DXII has it.
Recent commentary here on Rumors and other social media platforms has brought up this same question, "Is this as good as Canon sensor tech gets??" While not all of us are abandoning ship, at least not yet, some of us do have concerns about this and don't want to be wandering on a Canon sail less ship, able to float but going from nowhere to nowhere else. Please, Canon, refine your engineering prowess and give us what we want and soon.

Upvote 0
The K 435 or the K 436 very well may be the 90d and 7diii. The release in 2019 would fit previous speculations, although i expected canon to up the mp to 26mp like fuji did.

Historicaly the 7d ii and the 70d shared the same sensor, so it would make sense that the 90d and the 7diii share the same sensor again, and i think everybody would be happy if they give us a 24mp bsi sensor without an aa filter.

Are there any other lower than 80d tier cameras that need updating and thus could be those 24mp models? If not those to certifications are highly likely the 90d and 7d iii.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

MVPhoto

EOS 5D mk3
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2018
AL
Yeah I don't care much about video, but EOS R can do full-sized HD@60. That can only be done with reading the whole image and downsampling. So the system is able to read the whole sensor @60Hz

I'm pretty sure Canon isn't oversampling from the full sensor though but most likely through pixel binning or line skipping. I haven't kept up to date on how it captures full frame in 1080p. Does anyone know for sure?

Upvote 0