So the banding is back??

Dec 13, 2010
How about testing focus with the 135 f/2L (with the 1DxII) ? It is cheaper and lighter than a 70-200 2.8L IS II
Yeah, I've had that many times, it just isn't what I want. It's most of the time worse than the 85, a full stop slower, not weather sealed, no IS etc :p

Here's what I found in the manual, I've read it through before, that's why I was puzzled by the 3 fps,

"With Servo AF shooting:
When [AF operation] is set to [Servo AF], the continuous
shooting speed of max. approx. 5.0 shots/sec. will be given priority."

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've had that many times, it just isn't what I want. It's most of the time worse than the 85, a full stop slower, not weather sealed, no IS etc :p

Here's what I found in the manual, I've read it through before, that's why I was puzzled by the 3 fps,

"With Servo AF shooting:
When [AF operation] is set to [Servo AF], the continuous
shooting speed of max. approx. 5.0 shots/sec. will be given priority."
Right, it says shooting speed given priority, you get 5 FPS. If you set to focus priority, it drops to 3 FPS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Hopefully this adds to the discussion and helps you Viggo.

I have and love the 1dx2. Pushing shadows and exposure is great. I recently borrowed the 5d4 from CPS. When making adjustments with exposure and shadows I noticed noise sooner than I would have with the 1dx2. I was surprised by that. I had thought and heard it was the opposite, but I guess not. I did hear the R was very good in the noise department at high iso, at least with proper exposure, from the camera. Maybe you'll have to wait and test/rent one first.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hopefully this adds to the discussion and helps you Viggo.

I have and love the 1dx2. Pushing shadows and exposure is great. I recently borrowed the 5d4 from CPS. When making adjustments with exposure and shadows I noticed noise sooner than I would have with the 1dx2. I was surprised by that. I had thought and heard it was the opposite, but I guess not. I did hear the R was very good in the noise department at high iso, at least with proper exposure, from the camera. Maybe you'll have to wait and test/rent one first.
Thanks for chiming in(y)

I think I can be happy with it if it really needs a 3-5 stop push to make it visible, but large green banding shouldn’t really be an issue anymore, and I still haven’t been able to confirm what does 3 fps and when it’s 5 fps, sadly if it shows banding too fast and too much and can only do 3 fps, it’s not for me... and a better version I can’t afford when I’m getting the RF 50 along with it... bummer...

Upvote 0
EOS R image quality

Normally I wouldn’t care too much about this, but I saw banding happen very early with the files Jared had for download previously and to see it now also, and not in a structured pattern has me a bit concerned.

I loved my 1dx, but IQ wise the upgrade to the 1dx2 was massive, and I was going to get the EOS R to replace my 1dx2, for many reasons, but seeing this makes me not want it at all....

I’ll probably get shot for posting this, but hey, it’s a concern to me... and to those who are just going to say “expose properly” I know how to do that already. I saw banding in the shots Jared had and it just felt like I hit the limit of the file much earlier than the 1dx2 files...
It sounds like you need a 1Dx2.

Upvote 0
Or Nikon, for that matter - their Toshiba-sensor bodies are the worst I've ever ever seen for banding.

They don't use such sensors anymore. If one was concerned about doing massive pushes with no banding, I don't see why Nikon wouldn't be on the list. Now that their latest cameras behave with very good grey linearity (ie, colours stay accurate - which IMO is just as important as noise when pushing files), in most softwares, I would very much recommend it in fact.

Beta versions of Lightroom doing suboptimal RAW/DNG conversion for new cameras.

Adobe has frequently put out rubbish profiles for cameras, but I don't think that there's a single case where banding behaviour was affected by Lightroom's support being in the beta phase, or by using DPP vs Lightroom vs Capture One vs etc.

The photo below comes from the file I linked above, from the 5DIV - so very much not in a beta phase - pushed in DPP, LR and C1. The banding pattern is the same regardless of the software.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 09.23.44.jpg

All that said I wouldn't worry that much about low ISO banding with the R unless you're routinely pushing files by more than 2-3 stops.
I would worry a little bit more about what you can see at high ISOs as this should be within the "ISOless" range of the camera, where it makes sense to underexpose by using lower ISO values, to preserve highlights, and push in post, with supposedly no penalty to noise quantity. If Jared Polin's 10 000 ISO shot is any indication, the R may exhibit mild banding with much smaller pushes in some situations.

banding shouldn’t really be an issue anymore

Sadly it still is :D. I've had various problems with banding, even recently. I had to have my 6D exchanged after a botched repair because the sensor had started to exhibit very noticeable vertical banding. Apparently there's a software calibration step required at the factory / during repairs to eliminate banding related to the ADC design of this camera and mine could no longer be calibrated for some reason. The replacement still has one vertical band 1/3 through the frame :D.

Canon isn't an exception. As Keith_Reeder wrote, some Nikon cameras, for example, had horrible banding (D7100 comes to mind). My Ex Fuji X100 (the first one) had a noticeable banding problem as well.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
They don't use such sensors anymore.

Yep, I'm well aware of that. I was simply making the conversational point that:
Canon isn't an exception. As Keith_Reeder wrote, some Nikon cameras, for example, had horrible banding (D7100 comes to mind)
I'll also add my usual two penn'orth at this point: if you're getting banding, try a different converter. There's more to life than ACR/Lr, DPP and Capture One.

Upvote 0