Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I usually don't respond to trolls who call others a fanboys, but you might be an exception. 90D and 7DIII are a high probability. Something like 7DIV less so. There will be some point in time, when even here Canon will turn mirrorless. And then my claims persist and your answer does not provide any future path resolution. So once again - APS-C EOS-R is imo a high probability ... sometimes in the future ....
I am not a troll. Feel free to read my previous posts idiot. And even CR said this is CR1. You making it CR3 makes you what?
You know something?

P.S I will recall idiot if you recall troll.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
i agree with your points but really think the days of "manually focussing action" are over. I think 99% of lens buyers today never touch the manual focus rings on their lenses, except inadvertently.

Ever shoot at night? Astrophotography? How about product photography where you need the item and the background in focus, so you shoot at f16 and manually focus in the middle?

While it may be true that most shots use AF, the ability to manual focus is critical for those others.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
well, i am convinced that at a certain age people should step down (or be removed) from positions where they have direct, first-line control over the future of countries, corporations or any other organization (eg a church). No problem with advisory roles to contribute the wealth of their experience and give reasoned, balanced feedback to younger ones running the show.

what age? well "legal retirement" age in most of europe was and often still is about 65. While there is obviously an amazing amount of individual variation, i'd consider 65 to mac. 70 a very reasonable threshold. even the catholic church has a defined retirement age for bishops (75), but absurdly not for the position of its supreme commander in chief (pope).

mandatory retirement age should definitely apply to any political/public office from head of state/president to Superior Court Judges etc, and church leaders including the pope and to CEOs and managing/board directors of public (stock market listed) corporations.

No disrespect, but simply from a certain age onwards, most people are too much concerned to preserve some status quo and power structures from the past, rather than actively looking for new solutions and shaping the future. As witnessed at ultra-conservative Canon.
WOW!

Talk about absolute viewpoints.....

As you get older and gather more life experience, you will (hopefully) find out that things are not so black and white......

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Ever shoot at night? Astrophotography? How about product photography where you need the item and the background in focus, so you shoot at f16 and manually focus in the middle?

While it may be true that most shots use AF, the ability to manual focus is critical for those others.

Or sport or air shows or birding where pre-focusing can help stop AF hunting and get quicker lock on. Using manual focus in combination with AF at the right time is simply a basic skill.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Or sport or air shows or birding where pre-focusing can help stop AF hunting and get quicker lock on. Using manual focus in combination with AF at the right time is simply a basic skill.

it was only necessary because AF systems did not get the job done well enough / as well as promised in makers' marketing materials.
And to pre-focus just use an AF point at the desired location with Back focus key. No manual focus ring twiddling needed.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
or video of a soccer game..... There is nothing worse than having the AF lock on one player and having the field move in and out of focus as they run around.....

Upvote 0
or video of a soccer game..... There is nothing worse than having the AF lock on one player and having the field move in and out of focus as they run around.....
Many kinds of video require manual focus. You may (sometimes) do focus pulls with AF, but if you want to control its speed, you'll need MF. Preferably non-variable focus speed for the focus ring as well, with hard stop at infinity, so you can plan and practice the pull beforehand (but that is another story).

Upvote 0
...RF-S could be used on R cameras and the camera could just automatically read from a part of the FF sensor.

This makes great sense. And with more than enough pixels laying around, you might have the option to optimize the image capture for a 1:1, or 4:3 format. The APS-C's 15 mm high constraint goes away. While we're at it, they could add a few pixels to the 24 mm high FF sensor, make it 28 mm or so, and give us the option for a 4:3 format….

Upvote 0
it was only necessary because AF systems did not get the job done well enough / as well as promised in makers' marketing materials.
And to pre-focus just use an AF point at the desired location with Back focus key. No manual focus ring twiddling needed.

Great in theory, terrible in practice. Can't use autofocus to pre-focus on something unless you have something to pre-focus on that is also the exact distance away.

There are too many situations in which manual focus is necessary to simply eliminate it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

rubbish, you actually have no idea. your use of the word 'twiddling' says it all.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

+1000. In addition what he didn't think when he replied to you is that in Astrophotography we do not take only one picture. We may need to take hundreds of pictures. The moment we manually focus once we are set for the entire session. This is what I often do during summer nights.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Many kinds of video require manual focus. You may (sometimes) do focus pulls with AF, but if you want to control its speed, you'll need MF. Preferably non-variable focus speed for the focus ring as well, with hard stop at infinity, so you can plan and practice the pull beforehand (but that is another story).
I shot a lady (shot as in shot a video, the music was too good for the other kind of shot) playing a violin. She was wearing a dark dress and had white sleeves. On every pass of the arm, the video got darker and then lighter... Video seems to require manual settings for just about everything, not a genre of the Auto functions.....

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
+1000. In addition what he didn't think when he replied to you is that in Astrophotography we do not take only one picture. We may need to take hundreds of pictures. The moment we manually focus once we are set for the entire session. This is what I often do during summer nights.
And that is why we have software to push the shutter button every 60 seconds for two hours, and most of us are mature enough to realize that this is not a standard camera function and consequently, do not insist that Canon is doomed and that all other photographers are idiots because they are not demanding this function.....

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018

I don't see that requiring manual focus. Intervalometer software could/should tell lens to focus on infinity [no problem if lens has focus-by-wire] and not re-focus during entire auto-capture series.

There is no scenario that would really necessitate manual focus rings on lenses in electronic/digital cameras - provided cameras and lenses came with the right functionality software, sensors, servos/actuators, feedback loops. But Canon and most others are not even able to implement simple intervalometer software ... as if that was a difficult or costly task.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I don't see that requiring manual focus. Intervalometer software could/should tell lens to focus on infinity [no problem if lens has focus-by-wire] and not re-focus during entire auto-capture series.

There is no scenario that would really necessitate manual focus rings on lenses in electronic/digital cameras - provided cameras and lenses came with the right functionality software, sensors, servos/actuators, feedback loops. But Canon and most others are not even able to implement simple intervalometer software ... as if that was a difficult or costly task.
What about long exposures of several minutes.... even hours?
What is infinity focus? Infinity focus for visible light? and what happens with an IR filter? a solar filter?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Of course you do. So does anyone who also has the mindset to buy an L lens, or a Sigma Art. Most Canon users don't do any of those.

Do you think that the average xxD / xxxD / EF-S purchaser going into Best Buy has manual focus ANYWHERE on their 'essential items' list? Of course not. And that's the bulk of Canon's market, for whom P-mode is default and the manual focus ring is that annoying thing that messes-up photos when bumped.

Manual focus will remain for EF and RF-L lenses. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the lower tiers just like it disappeared from P&S and bridge-cameras. Touch-screen focus point selection won there, not twisty-barrel-squint-through-viewfinder focusing.

And you, with 41 manual focus lenses, you are not even a rounding error in a subset of a subset of the market. Sorry.

What exactly are you sorry about? I'm not the one claiming to know what everyone else needs or should have. You are right, I am not the market, but there is a market for manual focus on lenses. Is that hard for you to understand? One guy running around saying manual focus shouldn't be on lenses because he thinks nobody needs them is just a silly thing to say. If you can't see that, well, sorry.

Sillier still, to be kind, is displaying a bias against the elderly and their ability to function well into their final years. Assuming Canon is behind (an opinion without much foundation at all) because an old man is running the company is B.S.

Degos, I don't know if you realize this or not, but people who stay active in mind and body into their golden years tend to live far longer than the ones glued to the television all day. If a CEO isn't able to do his job anymore the board of directors can remove him. I hope the guy goes to 100. I'd cheer for him all the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You know Canon lenses do not had an infinity focus hard stop. Obviously having their reasons for that.

Even if we stuck to normal daylight lighting, a hard infinity stop would not work. There are tolerances in manufacturing, as is made evident by the presence of AFMA. With a hard infinity stop, any lens that required a positive AFMA value would not focus to infinity (on that particular body) and as a result, there would be a significant percentage of lenses that would not focus on infinity....

Upvote 0