Deal: Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Printer $59 (Reg $309)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adorama has the PIXMA Pro-100 for $59 after a $250 mail-in rebate. Also included in the deal is a 50 pack of 13×19 Canon luster paper.
Get the Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Bundle $59

Canon Plus Luster Semi-Gloss Photo Paper (13×19″), 50 Sheets
Mail-in rebate form

This is a great deal on a great printer. Please keep in mind this won’t ship until after the Sukkos Holiday being observed by Adorama. Shipping should take place on October 3, 2018.

Continue reading...

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Has anyone actually bought one of these at full retail? I think I've sold or given away like five of them over the years.

Yes, most of those outside US, I guess...

I wonder if Canon is waiting to sell all the remaining stock (but how many did it build???) before rolling out a new version (the 100S is the same printer with a few connection options added, AFAIK).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've heard mostly negative things about printing your own images...unless you print a LOT of them and know what you're doing.....
Things like if you only print from time to time, you end up still having to change and throw away ink cartridges, etc....they'll clog up if your not using them semi-constantly, etc.

Would something like this be troublesome like that, or is this good for someone that occasionally would like to print things?

Also....with regards to the level of "archival" quality....

How long do images printed off a printer like this last, vs sending them off to a pro printing shop....or even vs sending snapshot prints to say, Walgreens?

Are there archival inks and papers that you can use on something like this that will print and stand the test of time?

Can anyone give some links or info on things like this? Not sure what all is involved in home printing of your images....but at this price, it is tempting to jump in and maybe try to start to learn...?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give!!

cayenne

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
If you want accurate colors and to properly calibrate what you're editing and what you'll eventually turn into art, you need a printer. I'm upgrading from my Epson 1430 which has been more of a graphics workhorse and replacing it with a real photo printer. Looking forward to selling physical prints instead of licensing them online which I think has taken me away from the art of this craft.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
$59? You might think that's great, however, some of us got ours for free in a bundle, I received two. There are many pundits who claim you can make money on them. As in "You can always sell the printhead on Craigslist"....bwahahahahahahaha.

Um, no. It is possible no one will buy your Pro-100. I know, as I have 2. Well, at least in my market, you mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
$59? You might think that's great, however, some of us got ours for free in a bundle, I received two. There are many pundits who claim you can make money on them. As in "You can always sell the printhead on Craigslist"....bwahahahahahahaha.

Um, no. It is possible no one will buy your Pro-100. I know, as I have 2. Well, at least in my market, you mileage may vary.

Wow...free, eh?

Must be the razor/razorblades model....I guess they make most of their money on the paper and inks?

Well, I guess I could wait around and hope for 'free', but $59 is a cheap bar tab on the weekend here in New Orleans...so, it sounds good to me.
;)

But can ya'll answer the earlier questions about how long images last? Are there archival inks/pigments that you need to use and archival papers...or will the normal inks of the type that comes with it last? I've been reading there are other papers that work better than the canon branded ones...is that true?

What do ya'll like to use?

I started off another thread asking about monitor calibration....guessing I need to do that in order to try to get the images on my monitor to match the ones that get printed, etc.

Thanks for the replies....all info and comments greatly appreciated!!

C

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I use mainly Canon papers and OEM Canon inks and am very happy with them. I have no idea how long they last but I have some prints that are 5 years old and still look good.
I also use Permajet papers more for the different textures than anything but that is a whole new ballgame!

To be honest I can get them printed at a local online print shop for cheaper I would buy the bits and pieces but I like the idea of total control and the idea I can do it when I want at whatever size I want as I go along.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I've heard mostly negative things about printing your own images...unless you print a LOT of them and know what you're doing..... Things like if you only print from time to time, you end up still having to change and throw away ink cartridges, etc....they'll clog up if your not using them semi-constantly, etc.

Canon printers don't clog often (or better they can isolate clogged nozzles), although the longer you don't print, the higher the risk. Still, if you buy a printer, you're going to print, aren't you? It is true not printing often may mean some ink is wasted (cleaning cycles and so on), so you'll end to spend a little more. You may just print some small 4x6 prints, or even a small stripe, to keep the printing head healthy.

Sure, you need to learn what you're doing - especially how to manage a "color workflow" properly (even if you print B/W, eh eh), and you'll need to calibrate and profile, so you'll need the proper device as well. You do it if you want to manage the whole process from capture to print, and print exactly the way you want (it takes some time to learn...). You can print at the sizes you like (within the printer limitations), using the papers you like.

You don't do it to save, though, it's not cheap, especially if you use high-end papers.

Also....with regards to the level of "archival" quality....
How long do images printed off a printer like this last, vs sending them off to a pro printing shop....or even vs sending snapshot prints to say, Walgreens?
Are there archival inks and papers that you can use on something like this that will print and stand the test of time?

Depends on the printer technology and, if used, inks. The Pixma Pro 100 uses dye inks, the 10, 1 and beyond use pigments. The latter should last longer - but a lot depend on what paper - and how it is manufactured - is used, how the print is mounted or stored, where it is placed, etc. etc. Some printing shop may still use inkjet printers and inks very similar, and cheap ones maybe inferior ones. Other technologies may last more ore less.

This people (http://www.wilhelm-research.com/) do a lot of testing - just they are accelerated testing so they can't give specific data for a specific situation.

Can anyone give some links or info on things like this? Not sure what all is involved in home printing of your images....but at this price, it is tempting to jump in and maybe try to start to learn...?

Keith Cooper (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/photography-articles-and-reviews/printing-paper-reviews-articles/) has written some very useful articles about printing and color management, he's also a Canon Rumors member.

If you're interested, at that price you can get an entry-level pro printer which can give far better result than most more consumer-oriented printers, and see if printing is for you.

Now I have to print on my Pixma Pro 10.... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Canon printers don't clog often (or better they can isolate clogged nozzles), although the longer you don't print, the higher the risk. Still, if you buy a printer, you're going to print, aren't you? It is true not printing often may mean some ink is wasted (cleaning cycles and so on), so you'll end to spend a little more. You may just print some small 4x6 prints, or even a small stripe, to keep the printing head healthy.

Sure, you need to learn what you're doing - especially how to manage a "color workflow" properly (even if you print B/W, eh eh), and you'll need to calibrate and profile, so you'll need the proper device as well. You do it if you want to manage the whole process from capture to print, and print exactly the way you want (it takes some time to learn...). You can print at the sizes you like (within the printer limitations), using the papers you like.

You don't do it to save, though, it's not cheap, especially if you use high-end papers.

Depends on the printer technology and, if used, inks. The Pixma Pro 100 uses dye inks, the 10, 1 and beyond use pigments. The latter should last longer - but a lot depend on what paper - and how it is manufactured - is used, how the print is mounted or stored, where it is placed, etc. etc. Some printing shop may still use inkjet printers and inks very similar, and cheap ones maybe inferior ones. Other technologies may last more ore less.

This people (http://www.wilhelm-research.com/) do a lot of testing - just they are accelerated testing so they can't give specific data for a specific situation.

Keith Cooper (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/photography-articles-and-reviews/printing-paper-reviews-articles/) has written some very useful articles about printing and color management, he's also a Canon Rumors member.

If you're interested, at that price you can get an entry-level pro printer which can give far better result than most more consumer-oriented printers, and see if printing is for you.

Now I have to print on my Pixma Pro 10.... :)

Ok THANK YOU all so far who have answered on this!!

I think I will jump in on this...looking at the deal, it comes with 50 sheets of the 13x19 paper...whole if I print those up and the thing blows up and quits, I've pretty much gotten my money's worth on that...so, the price is right.

I do want to learn more about color management and this seems to be a good tool to use to start. I hope to start trying to sell some images in the future and this will be a good educational tool, and might even work for selling some one off things locally.

If nothing else, I just want to get more of my stuff OFF digital viewing only, where it often just sits at this point and put it into print, and I'm more likely to start doing this if I have my own printer.

I can also use this to make sure I have a quality image for print, before I send it off for multiple copies from a print service, and for larger formats, etc.

Thank you so far for all the many posts and info....greatly appreciated!!

Cayenne

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
This is a great deal. It is the printer I have.

When it comes to archival abilities, so many elements go into that as someone said. You have the ink, paper, environment, glass, mat material, adhesive, etc. I have read that the Canon lustre papers and ink are pretty good with longevity. I don't know if they put a length of time on it though. I did pour water on one of my lustre prints and it did not bleed, so that is something.

The quality is pretty good too. Could you get better results with the Pro 10 or 1 etc or sending to Bay photo etc, probably. It is still a great way to get your feet wet into the world of printing.

I don't think the ink is too terribly expensive, especially since they come in smaller sizes. The starter pack of ink the printer comes with will get you a good deal of prints. And as you say, the 50 sheets of 13 x 19 paper is worth $50 anyways! lol

I do not print often, maybe a few times of month, if that and I have never had it clog in two years of ownership. I hear that Canon printers are very good at this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0