Canon 6D II problem with 430 EX II

Hey folks,
I’ve purchased a 6D Mark II to replace my original 6D and have a problem with my 430 EX II.
I’m shooting in manual mode for the 6D and E-TTL for the 430 with the speedlite in the hotshoe, and am getting completely different flash exposures from time to time while takig a series of the same shots.
I have 3x430 EX II speedlites and all have the same issue. I never had this issue with the original 6D and the same speedlites.
Since I work with a flash most of the time during events you can imagine how this is a ball breaker.
Before I go through the troubles of shipping the camera to canon, I was hoping someone here would have some advice on the isssue.
Thanks!!
Mitya

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mitya.
My only thought is are you in Auto ISO or have you set that too? I know the cameras usually seem to set ISO 400 for flash but perhaps this is behaving differently from the original 6D and fluctuating trying to equalise the ambient or something?
I’m sure someone who knows more about flash and the 6DII will chime in!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi Mitya.
My only thought is are you in Auto ISO or have you set that too? I know the cameras usually seem to set ISO 400 for flash but perhaps this is behaving differently from the original 6D and fluctuating trying to equalise the ambient or something?
I’m sure someone who knows more about flash and the 6DII will chime in!

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham,

my ISO is never in Auto when I use a flash...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A few thoughts come to mind. First, the Speedlites don't have enough time to recycle and fully charge. Do you think you might be firing more quickly with the new camera? Could the batteries be part of the issue? (Have they hit the wall in recharge life?)

Light flickering from fluorescents or LED's can cause odd exposure issues. Does the 6D II have the anti-flicker function?

I've also noticed, when I put my lights on stands and use ETTL instead of manual mode, if the subject is not in the proper spot, the ETTL apparently makes an exposure adjustment. This really became an issue when photographing a Navy commissioning ceremony and the officers wearing white had to be exactly in position. If they were even a little away from the taped "X's" on the ground, I'd get exposure swings. (The reason I went with ETTL in this situation: I had to set up my lights just before sundown, but the officers would not be in place for the "first salute" until nearly complete dark. Yes, I used a stand-in as darkness fell, but she wasn't wearing bright white, and, more importantly, she was exactly placed on the X marks, whereas the officers were off by a few feet because they were quite emotional--and I obviously couldn't interrupt the great moment with whispered directions.)

Sorry, I only have the 5Dx bodies, not 6D, but I have found that when using ETTL, little things can make changes to the exposure. ETTL is great in most cases, but can still surprise me occasionally.

Upvote 0
A few thoughts come to mind. First, the Speedlites don't have enough time to recycle and fully charge. Do you think you might be firing more quickly with the new camera? Could the batteries be part of the issue? (Have they hit the wall in recharge life?)

Light flickering from fluorescents or LED's can cause odd exposure issues. Does the 6D II have the anti-flicker function?

I've also noticed, when I put my lights on stands and use ETTL instead of manual mode, if the subject is not in the proper spot, the ETTL apparently makes an exposure adjustment. This really became an issue when photographing a Navy commissioning ceremony and the officers wearing white had to be exactly in position. If they were even a little away from the taped "X's" on the ground, I'd get exposure swings. (The reason I went with ETTL in this situation: I had to set up my lights just before sundown, but the officers would not be in place for the "first salute" until nearly complete dark. Yes, I used a stand-in as darkness fell, but she wasn't wearing bright white, and, more importantly, she was exactly placed on the X marks, whereas the officers were off by a few feet because they were quite emotional--and I obviously couldn't interrupt the great moment with whispered directions.)

Sorry, I only have the 5Dx bodies, not 6D, but I have found that when using ETTL, little things can make changes to the exposure. ETTL is great in most cases, but can still surprise me occasionally.
Thanks for the reply! The anti flicker option could be causing the issue, I ‘ll turn it of and try again...

Upvote 0
I had a problem similar to 430EX ii (two units of it) when used on T2i. Eventually the TTL information failed and the flash fired at full power, or it did not fire at all. There was no corrosion in the electrical contacts, but even so, the problem was solved by removing the flash from the shoe and putting it back on. After I switched to T5i, the problem never showed up again.

Upvote 0
I had a problem similar to 430EX ii (two units of it) when used on T2i. Eventually the TTL information failed and the flash fired at full power, or it did not fire at all. There was no corrosion in the electrical contacts, but even so, the problem was solved by removing the flash from the shoe and putting it back on. After I switched to T5i, the problem never showed up again.
thanks for your reply... as of now I see no other options

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

Wow. Way back when I had my T2i and 430EX II, I had that problem crop up once as well. Flash fired at full power for the whole event - but at the time, the camera was fairly new to me and I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot the issue. Once I switched the T2i out for a 60D and the 430EX out for a 580EX, I never had that issue again, and since.

To this day I still don't know what the issue was, but it was quite annoying and nearly ruined the shoot. I thought it was just a fluke thing - at least, until I opened this thread...

Upvote 0
I believe it was a software mismatch with that particular combination of camera + flash. In the past, I've had compatibility problems with Sigma flash, and I promised myself I would never buy a third-party flash again. When I bought the T2i, I already had 2 units of the 430EXii, and I got really pissed off with the problem. In fact, the problem only occurred after the camera "woke up" from the stand by, and never in the middle of a shootout. To minimize the appearance of this fault, I set the auto power off time to the longest possible time.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
With flash?
Misunderstanding:
using anti flicker should help with exposure problems under artificial lighting.
Yes, because ambient light changes during flickering.
But we seem to be pretty much just brainstorming in this thread because nothing so far is working for the OP.
He or she really needs to reproduce the problem in a controlled situation before sending the camera away for repair. Then make adjustments and see what the problem is. If nothing works then send to Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0