Canon 5Dmk4 corrupted files problem

Hi all , just took delivery of a lovely new 5D4 and gone to work testing it out ...

Dismayed to find a handful of shots with massive colour banding and pieces missing and never come across this before with any of my 5d series so need some help/advice as to whether there is a fault with the camera or something else.

I have been able to replicate the issue on differenct CF cards and through different software DPP PS etc so not sure if it can be them.

It is happening whilst using high speed mode. When i put the card back in the camera the image seems fine , on the pc its not ...

Any advice appreciated ...

Andrew

Attachments

• 5d4 corrupt files.jpg
    5d4 corrupt files.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 249
Oct 22, 2014
The camera is using the baked in preview file to display on the camera rather than the full file. Seem as though the corruption happens sometime between converting the file to RAW and extracting the preview image. If there is a firmware available, I'd try updating the firmware, if not, I'd send it back asap if possible. Have you tried shooting at different RAW/ JPG output sizes? Like MRAW, SRAW, ETC... ?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks all , i have checked the firmware and its already up to date , don't have dual pixel on and the sofware i am using is up to date CC and LR aswell as DPP which are all showing corrupt files. I thinks its going to have to be exchanged - first time in 15 years i have had a faulty canon :( hope this is a one off and not a sign of Quality Control problems ? Also i have shot dual card and the jpeg is fine but the raw corrupt. Should not be a problem to exchange but just wanted to see if i was missing anything before looking silly !

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
When the card is in the camera, you see only the jpg image embedded in the raw file. Its likely that the raw file is being corrupted. if this is happening on more than one card, then its either a download or a camera issue. If you are downloading from the camera using a USB cable, that can be a bad cable, use a good card reader or try a different usb cable before sending the camera off for repair.

Upvote 0
@Andrew Davies Photography - I had a similar issue with 7D2 connected to a high speed USB3.0 connection of my aging desktop. Eventually the cause was the PC's USB3.0 connection that caused data corruption at the burst speed delivered by camera / CF card - not seen in the thumbnails but affecting a large (random) area of the full picture. After adding an up to date USB3.1 adapter (advantage of a desktop - space ;)) I never had trouble with transfers anymore (Sandisk Extreme, Lexar and Transcend CF cards, Sandisk Extreme SD cards - I use the SD card as backup in camera).
So, my suspicion would point in the direction of the PC's USB port (/driver) implementation, which may still 'act up' when you connect an external fast card reader...! Just my suspicion though :unsure:.
W.

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for your reply , i understand you reasoning with direct connection, however I am using the same card reader and card as i have used successfully for many years in the same port so nothing has changed speed wise apart from the slightly larger file size of the 5d4s raws ? Also it is only the raw file that is being corrupted even when using just the single card the jpeg which is stored in the raw file is still fine. It also only happening when i shoot in high speed burst on the camera. Haven't yet noticed it doing it with a single shot - they are coming off fine.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hi and thanks for your reply , i understand you reasoning with direct connection, however I am using the same card reader and card as i have used successfully for many years in the same port so nothing has changed speed wise apart from the slightly larger file size of the 5d4s raws ? Also it is only the raw file that is being corrupted even when using just the single card the jpeg which is stored in the raw file is still fine. It also only happening when i shoot in high speed burst on the camera. Haven't yet noticed it doing it with a single shot - they are coming off fine.
It does sound like a camera issue. I've heard of problems like this, its been a couple of years, the issue is rare but happens.

Upvote 0
I had an almost identical issue with a 5D MkIII. It was infrequent enough to be a mild annoyance and I just got on with my work. The issue continued over a few years and around 450,000 clicks (& three shutters). I wrote it off as a bug. My similar mileage 5D MkIV has not been similarly afflicted!

-pw

Hi pw, three shutters ? did they actually go or were you just replacing them to be safe , what sort of cost was the replacement - cheers Andrew

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I've had it on the mk3 in the past, not seen it once on the IV in two years of shooting (> 150.000 images at least). So it's not a common thing with this camera. Yes you could try another computer to rule out the usb connection on your pc (I would also say check another card reader but since you've also tried direct connecting with the camera without succes I would say it's not that) and otherwise just replace it. It can happen, unlucky but it is what it is. Once you'll have a good copy I'm sure you'll immensely enjoy this camera; for sure one of the best Canon dslr's I've ever used.

Upvote 0
I've had the occasional shot where my 5d4 did this exact thing too. As someone else pointed out, it was more just a minor annoyance because it's only happened a few times in the year that I've owned it. Thinking maybe my 6d did it on rare occasion as well, but can't remember. I just figured it was normal that a file would get corrupted once in a while.

Upvote 0
I've had the occasional shot where my 5d4 did this exact thing too. As someone else pointed out, it was more just a minor annoyance because it's only happened a few times in the year that I've owned it. Thinking maybe my 6d did it on rare occasion as well, but can't remember. I just figured it was normal that a file would get corrupted once in a while.

definitely not normal , i have gone through many 5ds 5d2s and 5d3s and not had this once in 100s of thousands of shots

I remember it happening in the 90s with a terrible 1.3mp digital camera but would have hoped things had moved on lol

Upvote 0