Canon releases Digital Photo Professional Express for iOS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released Digital Photo Professional Express for iOS devices. The software is free to download and use from the Apple App store.
RAW PROCESSING ON THE GO
For portable and wireless digital photography workflows, Canon’s Digital Photo Professional Express (DPP Express) brings the powerful features of Canon’s DPP software to your compatible iPad. Working with Canon’s Camera Connect app*, DPP Express streamlines the processing of JPEGs and .CR3 RAW files with an intuitive and powerful interface. View images and adjust settings right on your mobile device, and save files to the cloud, a computer or your camera. With DPP Express, it’s incredibly easy to maintain a wireless RAW workflow on the go.

CONNECT YOUR CAMERA
With the Camera Connect app* installed on your compatible iPad, it’s simple to connect wirelessly to your camera to download images, operate remotely and more. Images stored on the camera’s memory card can be downloaded instantly and automatically for...

Continue reading...

FACEPALM.

And to add insult to injury, the software doesn't really seem to be fully JPG compatible. Canon being as lazy as possible in supporting older equipment, thereby forcing users once again to upgrade to newer hardware? Typical....

I have no idea if it is technically feasible, but perhaps if enough people write to Canon in support of adding CR2 compatibility, something can be done? For one though, my camera (80D) would likely need a firmware upgrade. As of the current version, I seem to not be able to send the raw files from the camera directly to an Android or iOS device. Perhaps someone else had luck with this?

Upvote 0
As of the current version, I seem to not be able to send the raw files from the camera directly to an Android or iOS device.

I'll probably get crushed for this but maybe instead of moving the CR2 files off the camera to edit on a phone/tablet, they could embed DPP Express in camera like Leica is doing with Lightroom on the ZX1. Edit the CR2 in camera and publish the resulting JPG online, or whatever. Still doesn't help with the 80D, I know...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Regarding CR3 and not 2, this is version 1 of their freebie software so if it follows their typical pattern then CR2 will just have to wait for v3 or so. They'll get around to it.
That’s kind of what I expect to see as well.....

I downloaded it, it works on the jpgs, and someday soon, I expect to see an update....

Upvote 0
Regarding CR3 and not 2, this is version 1 of their freebie software so if it follows their typical pattern then CR2 will just have to wait for v3 or so. They'll get around to it.
If what you say is true, that would be fantastic. Still, I seem not to be able to transfer CR2 files from my camera via the iOS/Android app. I wonder whether this limitation is camera-firmware based or it's app-related and just requires a line of code to be changed.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was really looking forwards to it but for me CR3 is a complete letdown, having downloaded and played with it for the last couple of days I have to say it is worse than useless. Not offering 1DX MkII and WFT RAW support is beyond stupid.

I'll stick to the well established LR Mobile RAW workflow that is a genuine timesaver and syncs everything to the desktop automatically.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I was really looking forwards to it but for me CR3 is a complete letdown, having downloaded and played with it for the last couple of days I have to say it is worse than useless. Not offering 1DX MkII and WFT RAW support is beyond stupid.

I'll stick to the well established LR Mobile RAW workflow that is a genuine timesaver and syncs everything to the desktop automatically.
When you figure out that 99.9% of Canon cameras in the field shoot jpg and CR2, why wouldn’t the first rev of the app support them?

Generally, I am not one to say “stupid Canon”, but this even stupider than having a camera that has no speaker jack, has Bluetooth, and does not support Bluetooth speakers...... STUPID CANON!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
When you figure out that 99.9% of Canon cameras in the field shoot jpg and CR2, why wouldn’t the first rev of the app support them?

Generally, I am not one to say “stupid Canon”, but this even stupider than having a camera that has no speaker jack, has Bluetooth, and does not support Bluetooth speakers...... STUPID CANON!
Yes I have been called a 'fanboy' many times and have called out those saying "stupid Canon" even more times than that, but I just don't understand this move, not just because it doesn't fit my personal workflow or wishes. How many people does it actually apply to? You have to own an R or an M50 and want to process RAW on your iPad Pro and not be into Adobe Lightroom Mobile, so that is probably a couple of hundred worldwide...

STUPID CANON!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
"communication" and "post-processing images" are a general problem for entire imaging gear industry. Despite many years of smartphones and other mobile devices, Canon, Nikon, Sony, et. al. have still not understood what workflow solutions vast majority of their customers want and rightfully expect today, in late 2018!

Entire imaging gear Industry seems stuck in sort of a "1990s film days analogue mindset" ... single-purpose camera - press the shutter - transfer image by card - or maybe a USB 2.0 cable - to PC - process there using some shitty piece of software. No, no, no!

It took them until recently to even add basic WiFi functionality to their cameras, some super-basic bluetooth and NFC, typically implemented very poorly with totally inadequate protocol support.

4G/LTE cell capability not present in a single camera in late 2018. Why?! Module available for something like 5 bucks. let users decide whether they insert the module, switch it on and get data plan or not.

Wireless flash control: Canon was first with in 2012 with its (good!) RT system. 6 years later RT commander still not integrated in any of their cameras. why the f*ck?

lame excuses by fanboyz ranging from "different FCC regulations worldwide" to "metal shell hinders signal transmission" are obviously moot, when Canon now sells 7D II only bundled with removable WiFi- SD card. So obviously Signal transmission with no antennae in a mag-alloy camera body is no real problem. Nor differences in local FCC regulations - just supply a matching version of the comms SD-card and have user stick it into camera. Problem solved. So, why not include a separate, dedicated "com" slot (SD form factor) in each and every camera?

And the same for post-processing. Took the camera makers many years until RAWs could be (simply) converted to jog in camera. Canon was aming the last to implement. And all of their software solutions from RAW conversion to tethering to intervalometer etc. suck more ir less big time. Nikon worst, clisely followed by Canon and Sony's "Apps in camera" idea seems to have stalled long ago and was DOA.

ffs octagenarian camera maker head honchos: wake up to the 21st century or step down! Either have proper comms and software solutions in/for your mobile electronic devices (digital cameras) or if unable to do so on your own, then strike partnerships and deals with companies that can help you along. if need be, run Android on your cameras, so independent App developers can give us the functionalities we want abd you are unable to supply. anything from augmented reality ephemeris apps to intellugent intervalometers to worthwhile post-processing tools!

It is invented already! Just open up your proprietary boxes so we can get it. ffs!

Grrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Yes..... and most of the adjustments are not available for jpg.....

yep, an embarrasing piece of software sh*t.

otoh i don't care. who would want to do any sort of serious RAW editing on an iPad anyways? It's like 4k video? Just get yourself a real video cam. You want to do real RAW editing? Get yourself a real PC and real software.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
who would want to do any sort of serious RAW editing on an iPad anyways?

Me, and I know I am not alone.

iPad screens are very good, the 12.9 iPad Pro is a high end piece of photo editing gear, try it with LR Mobile and RAW files and tell me you can't use it for 'serious' work. Sure I wouldn't want to do 50 image composite on it, but all my travel photography needs are easily met with an iPad.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Me, and I know I am not alone.

iPad screens are very good, the 12.9 iPad Pro is a high end piece of photo editing gear, try it with LR Mobile and RAW files and tell me you can't use it for 'serious' work. Sure I wouldn't want to do 50 image composite on it, but all my travel photography needs are easily met with an iPad.
I agree.

At home, nothing beats a powerful desktop, but when you are on the road or on the trail, and you want to examine the shots, nothing beats an iPad....

Upvote 0