Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
But it is true, I personally know several pro photographers who have sold Canon and Nikon kits and bought Sony, one internationally renowned tennis and golf pro just sold her 1DX MkII and 1DX and 5DSr for two A9's and an A7III. A very small sample size but it does happen.

That's what everyone always says but it simply isn't true. Few serious photographers would ever buy an A9 over a 1dx or d5. So canon will i troduce their 'flagship' model when it suits them. They have already outdone sony with the eos r for anyone that understands what they are getting. The mount alone makes a Sony second rate let alone the glass that canon has and will produce for the new system. I shouldn't need to mention ergonomics but obviously sonys are s#@t and canons are great. The other details make little difference unless you spend all you time watching youtube videos instead of taking photos.the only camera they are not currently matching is the A7r3 and that wont be far away.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
But it is true, I personally know several pro photographers who have sold Canon and Nikon kits and bought Sony, one internationally renowned tennis and golf pro just sold her 1DX MkII and 1DX and 5DSr for two A9's and an A7III. A very small sample size but it does happen.
Yes it does happen. But i did say 'few'. And i stand by that. I can understand some women especially doing so due to the lighter weight and for small hands, somewhat better handling but for most that isn't the case. And giving up the reliability and pro support is not something most would be willing to do.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes it does happen. But i did say 'few'. And i stand by that. I can understand some women especially doing so due to the lighter weight and for small hands, somewhat better handling but for most that isn't the case. And giving up the reliability and pro support is not something most would be willing to do.
It wasn’t for the size or weight, she loved her 1 series and used them for years. It was the 20 FPS and true silent shooting, two features very important for her work that Canon can’t come close to in a pro sports camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

The question for me - which I have asked many times on forums - is why do forum dwellers care if people switch brands, or which brand is the top seller? Doesn't everyone buy the camera (and system) that best suits their needs? Why would anyone care if Sony sells twice as many cameras as Canon - as long as Canon continues to do well enough to offer us new cameras and lenses?

People have different wants and needs - something many forum dwellers seem to be unable to recognize. And each brand has their own strengths and weaknesses, so every time someone says something like, "Canon can't match Sony..." it just shows their own personal bias and little or nothing about the different camera brands. For me, color is the most important factor. So I would never consider a Sony. For others, FPS or AF speed is crucial. Shooting mostly landscapes, those specs are totally of no consequence to me. Some shoot high-end 4K video, others, like me, are perfectly happy with HD. So some folks, if they can afford it, will change brands. Who cares?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The 5DS Mark 2 would be an ideal camera as the more expensive RF mount body. You don't have to worry about fast throughput on most of the subjects you would should with a regular 5ds.

I'd slot in an SL level camera as the 4th one if any. I wouldn't be surprised if no new Full Frame DSLR's came out. If one did, I'd guess it would just be a 5dV as the last mirror slapper in the line. The RF mount 1d would come out 2020, and possibly a 6dII equivalent with faster throughput to be an equivalent sports shooter to the 7dII.

NO, moving the 5DsR II to the gimmick/trend of mirrorless would NOT be ideal. As I said in the other thread, this would be a horrible idea, and would only benefit people with dainty hands and/or weak arms. You lose OVF, battery life, and a properly sized body for balanced use with large L series lenses.

As someone else noted, yes mirrorless can be made at a lower cost. Ultimately, the mirrorless trend/fad is about making cameras cheaper, and to a large extent smaller as a reaction to sales lost to smartphones. The former is a very bad sign for where future cameras may be headed quality wise, and the latter is an exercise in futility.

Canon would be wise to continue both 1D and 5D cameras (all models) with mirrors, and to also continue with at least 2 APS-C cameras with mirrors. The 6D would be the best FF candidate to be discontinued, as it was already a compromise FF for people with smaller wallets. As such the lower pricing that should happen with lower level mirrorless will be appealing to many of them.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

You personally know several pros who switched?? Really??? And just how are these pros dealing with Sony's horrid reliability issues, and lack of service anywhere near what Canon provides?? Do they have a half dozen of them on hand for when they break?

You mention one of them being a woman, and women or very small men with dainty hands are the only people I could see using one of the Sonys. I handled one once and it was like a toy camera. The Sonys may be capable of taking decent pictures, but they're a joke handling wise and other wise. I could just see carrying around my 11-24 L using only the camera grip in my right hand (no strap for me) like I do with my 5DsR for landscape pictures.

I've followed various Sony products over the past 40 plus years (and owned a couple), and it's pretty much always the same story. An interesting (or simply gimmick) feature or two, a higher price than similar products from other companies, often some sort of limiting factor to offset the novel feature(s), and in general very poor reliability.

Upvote 0
I was planning on buying the current model for my headshot photography but was hesitant since this essentially a mirrorless 6D. If they're already going to put out a better, "professional" version I might as well keep shooting with my mkiii.
It’s more like a Mirrorless 5d Mark IV without dual card slots. I own both the 5D IV and the eos R. Keeping the Eos R.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
For the lower end version I would like a no 4k (no video would be fine too) version for $500 less :)

But to be fair, and to further differentiate the product, Canon can take out the high tech whiz bang touch bar too :geek:

For a higher end model, a subflagship 7-8fps model would be great in continuous autofocus, but without subject tracking. I would love a joystick instead of a touch bar, and an extra programmable dial on the back would rock. As great as low Ev dpaf sounds, please please make a way for AF illuminators to work. I would happily pay $3000 USD for that.

And then, of course, a flagship model, but frankly, I probably won't be in the market for it.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
It wasn’t for the size or weight, she loved her 1 series and used them for years. It was the 20 FPS and true silent shooting, two features very important for her work that Canon can’t come close to in a pro sports camera.

I would kill for a Canon that shot silently as fast (20 fps) and with as quick a CMOS readout (1/160) as the a9 :cry:

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016

Fair enough. If you want to dig through that many photos to retrieve a tiny percentage more keepers than a 1dx by all means. And the true silent still has rolling shutter etc does it not? Also if she is shooting tennis she is less likely to have to worry about weather sealing. Like i said. Few photographers would change due to the cons being more substantial than the pros but for those few i hope it works for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I would kill for a Canon that shot silently as fast (20 fps) and with as quick a CMOS readout (1/160) as the a9 :cry:
I would hate it. It's bad enough having to sort through 1000 shots taken a 10fps. I wouldn't want to go through 2000 to pick the 5 or 10 that i would use. Obviously for a working pro it is a different matter but i wouldn't use 20fps even if my camera had it. 15 max.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why not? An L lens on an 80D will deliver better photos than a cheap lens on an 1DX most of the times.
Yup. I had 3 L lenses when I was shooting with my 70D. Why? IQ and speed. I'd like to see EF-s or non-L EF lenses in similar focal lengths that can match the 135 f/2L, 24-70 f/2.8L II, or the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. So, I think there might be a few people who consider the glass more important than the body. I had a bunch of EF-S and non-L EF lenses. They were just too slow for what I wanted to do. It's no fun trying to shoot a football game at night when f/5.6 is the best the lens will do at 250mm. Not to mention the f stop changing every time the focal length changes.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
NO, moving the 5DsR II to the gimmick/trend of mirrorless would NOT be ideal. As I said in the other thread, this would be a horrible idea, and would only benefit people with dainty hands and/or weak arms.

Why would an RF 5DS2 be any smaller than the mirror-slapper model?

Ultimately, the mirrorless trend/fad is about making cameras cheaper, and to a large extent smaller as a reaction to sales lost to smartphones.

No, it's about moving away from delicate, failure-prone and vibration-inducing mechanical components. That may have the advantage of allowing retail price or size to be reduced where that is relevant, but primarily it's about improving MTBF and reducing development, production and warranty costs.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I find the sensor to be equal or even better. You can force banding by using the silent shutter under pulsating light, or you can underexpose 5-1/2 stops and claim sensor issue when any photographer underexposing 5-1/2 stops has a big problem.
Tests show it a little worse. But this is not the point. I like my 5DIV sensor very much (so obviously I do not underexpose - at least not that much) but the mirrorless lovers are also the SONY lovers who were accusing Canon not having enough DR. How can now like EOS R and forget their ideology ? :LOL:

Upvote 0
You mention one of them being a woman, and women or very small men with dainty hands are the only people I could see using one of the Sonys.

Can we stop with this, please? "You must be weak if you want smaller cameras" is puerile and "women are more likely to want mirrorless cameras because they're weak/have smaller hands" is outright sexist. Women are quite capable of handling and using cameras of any size just as well as men, and someone with smaller hands can use bigger cameras with no trouble. The size differences between cameras are exaggerated in these discussions anyway. You don't like these cameras, fine! Stop making crass and irrelevant insinuations about people who do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
In my opinion, price could be a lot lower. Gone is the complex mirror [and] pentaprism which cost $$$ to manufacture, to assemble, and to maintain..

No, it's about moving away from delicate, failure-prone and vibration-inducing mechanical components. That may have the advantage of allowing retail price or size to be reduced where that is relevant, but primarily it's about improving MTBF and reducing development, production and warranty costs.

A few people have brought up the issues of cost here. But once again a lot of unproven assumptions are being made. Do we know that EVFs cost less than the mirror/pentaprism? Do we know that mechanical parts fail more than electronic ones? Do we know mirrorless cameras cost less to produce overall than DSLRs? I've seen no evidence but a lot of assertions.

Upvote 0
No top lcd, no twin dials, no touch bar (not saying it should even be included ever again), lower-end EVF, smaller battery, less customization... for 999€. Needs f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom to go with it too.
Edit. wait did I just describe FF M50?

And no card slot at all. Transfer to smartphone only

Upvote 0