Review: Canon EOS R by TDP

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
No one else is experiencing or commenting about the green banding when using flash? It’s only with flash use, no banding without anything in the hot shoe. It seems to be less the simpler the trigger is so I’m guessing on interference. I can’t use my lamp now and it’s bugging the hell out of me...

Hi Viggo...

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the EOS R... I have been reading closely.

I am curious how the green banding when using flash looks. Can you please upload a few examples for us to see? The EOS R is not the camera for me, but another EOS R / RF mount camera in the future may be.

Therefore I am keen to see if there are any systemic issues that the new FF mirrorless have with flashes. (I own the Canon 600 EX RT and 3 x 430 EX III RT flashes, as well as a radio transmitter).

Thanks in advance.

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
I've used this camera for about a week now, and my shooting experience has been mostly positive. I've shot an outdoor music festival with extremely high contrast conditions (stage in shadows with backlights but setting sunlight coming in from one side), and indoors in an extremely dark music venue, and I have been pretty impressed. Autofocus in low light has been great. The freezing of action in the EVF after every shot definitely takes some getting used to, but the exposure preview has been a game changer for me so far. Totally eliminates the need for chimping. I've taken this along with my 5DmIV to every shoot since I got the R, but feeling confident enough in the R now to use it as my only body when I want to pare down my gear for a shoot.

To amend this short real-world usage review... Been a couple more days and I daresay I love this camera. HOWEVER... the back focusing button is now so far to the right that it becomes extremely uncomfortable if you're shooting constantly for more than 5 minutes. For all the better design of the grip over other mirrorless cameras, it's kind of undone if you need to constantly use the back focus button in action situations. it would be a lot better if the button were in its placement on the 5Dm4

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hi Viggo...

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the EOS R... I have been reading closely.

I am curious how the green banding when using flash looks. Can you please upload a few examples for us to see? The EOS R is not the camera for me, but another EOS R / RF mount camera in the future may be.

Therefore I am keen to see if there are any systemic issues that the new FF mirrorless have with flashes. (I own the Canon 600 EX RT and 3 x 430 EX III RT flashes, as well as a radio transmitter).

Thanks in advance.

PJ
Hi PJ!

Thanks for chiming in, I will try to upload a shot later today, it’s very easy to replicate (y)(y)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0