APS-C Canon EOS R body likely [CR2]

Sep 29, 2018
what makes no sense is that in an interview when asked if there would be an APS-C body with the R mount canon THEMSELVES said no. So what is going on either at canon or with the "sources"

What they actually said was that there would be no R mount on a M body. Some people then started extrapolating that because M is APS-C that meant no APS-C with R. Go read the interview.

If Canon stuck an APS-C sensor in the R body I would buy one of each today. They would be completely different tools. But until I know for sure what the plan is for APS-C with an R mount I won't be buying ether. Canon sold a mountain of Rebels, Kiss, crop EOS etc cameras. Far more than they sold full frame cameras. Every one that bought one sized their lenses for for an APS-C sensor. To tell all those customers to throw all their equipment in the garbage and start over would be suicide. I would switch brands or quit photography before I would drop $20,000 -$30,000 to recreate my APS-C rig in FF.

An APS-C sensor with an R mount would not mean the end of FF cameras or the M system like some people seem to believe. A FF EOS R with a crop lens is around 11MP so can we please stop regurgitating that over and over again as the solution. It isn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
All EF-M lenses, to my knowledge, have a diameter of 60.9 mm.

My guess is that all future EF-M lenses will have that same diameter.

Why?

Volume and mass considerations, I would guess.

But there is no doubt that well-designed large volume/large mass lenses are better than small volume/small mass lenses, in terms of image quality.

That's why, whenever possible, I utilize Canon full-frame bodies and Canon full-frame lenses in my modest photography efforts.

Which leaves the rest of the time (particularly when traveling)--in which case Canon's M line of bodies and lenses more than fills the bill as far as supplying the necessary tools for me to screw up nice photo/video ops!

When I read posters who write that they'll 'never go M'...I kind of chuckle inside.

As my favorite sportstalk show host often says: "They don't know no better."

M bodies are so tiny, for extended trips I generally travel with three of them...each mated to one lens, each inside its own very small camera bag: the 22mm 2.0; the 11-22mm IS; and the 18-150mm IS.

Each of these camera/lens combinations resides nicely on what I believe is a small camcorder tripod...which weighs less than a pound and telescopes to less than 12 inches.

With the iOS Canon Connect app, and the tripod...we get instant family vacation pictures whenever I can get my daughters to sit for them...without asking for a stranger to help.

I am so wedded to using the M's while traveling that I kind of understand exactly how I use them, and how I won't. So as of yet I have not purchased the 32mm f1.4 EF-M lens--because for portraits I go back to full frame. I am tempted, though, by the f1.4...for low-light vacation/traveling photo opportunities (of which there are many). That's why the 22mm 2.0 is always there...and is it ever tiny and stealthy.

All of which makes me wonder about the reasonableness of APS-C and R mounts.

But who knows for sure?! It is all kind of fun.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In one of the recent interviews, Canon was asked about a APS-C version of the R. As I recall, he said that we are thinking about it. That to me means that at the very least, they are specifying a version, and pricing it to see if they can get the cost to build it down. In the total cost of a camera, the build cost is only a small part of what we pay, most of the other costs like distribution, service, training, advertising are fixed, so markup is less, and sales volume must be high.

Using the same parts where possible cuts costs because of the higher volume, so that's desirable from a cost standpoint.

That does not mean that the M would go away at all. A strong market exists for a small body camera, it would be competing with high end point and shoot models like the G1 for sales.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
i don't think there will ever be R-mount crop lenses.

i'd rather expect a slightly larger, higher-end M body to succeed 7D II.
Well, if you start changing enough things, I suppose anything is possible. But, I consider a "higher end" M body to be unlikely. The simple reason is the entire M ecosystem is somewhere below "higher end" compared to the 7D, L series glass, etc. It would be odd to have a $1,800 M body and mount a $300 variable aperture general purpose lens on it. To get better glass to mount to your "higher end" M body, if it were released, you would have to use an adaptor, which just doesn't seem very higher end. So, unless Canon starts pushing out higher end EF-m lenses, I would not expect a higher end EFm body.

For example, I own an M3, EVF, EFm 18-35, 11-22, 22, 28 macro and 55-200 lenses in my "M" kit. The whole thing cost me just over $2,000 (bought much of it on sale or refurbished). That is the M ecosystem. The EOS-R ecosystem will have single lenses that cost more than that.

So, it makes complete sense to have a R APS-C body that has a more powerful battery to drive the AF on expensive lenses that, eventually, will mount natively to the RF mount.

This is all about price points of the different ecosystems. M is going to be small and moderately expensive. The R ecosystem is going to likely range from moderate to higher end.

Upvote 0
what makes no sense is that in an interview when asked if there would be an APS-C body with the R mount canon THEMSELVES said no. So what is going on either at canon or with the "sources"

I understood, from the first time I read the comment, the same as this CanonRumor... the R cannot be shrunk down to the M mount size did not preclude that R mount would not get an APS-C sensor. There is no contradiction.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
You sir, are full of fertilizer. No Canon representative ever said any such thing. Even if that were their position, which I'm sure it isn't, they would not say so. Provide a link and prove me wrong...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Personally, I think that there should be a few slow, but high quality R mount lenses. Slower lenses means smaller, and that helps a lot with the idea of having a portable system.....

Imagine this... you have a 24-70 F5.6 R mount lens, image circle covers a crop size sensor, and depending on the focal length and aperture, might cover a FF sensor.... A crop R mount camera gives you a great and compact package, but the lens is still usable on a FF R mount camera... kind of like what you could do now on EF and EF-S if the mirror did not hit...

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I felt the same way until I got tired of lugging my heavy 7d around while hiking the mountain trails for miles. After watching several reviews and YT videos, I decided, mostly because of its compact size and capabilities, to try an M50 and see if it might be a good fit for me. Well, I have to say, that while not a perfect camera, it's a perfect camera for the trail, lack of weather sealing not withstanding. Peak Designs Capture clip is the perfect compliment to the M50, allowing easy access to immediate photo ops, via attachment to my pack strap. An added bonus is crisp sharp photos and very usable video, both being somewhat better than what my 7D was producing for me, not to mention the fantastic small form factor, a real plus on the trail, where size and weight constraints are everything. So, as your last statement pointed out, it's all in your perspective. Like you, until I started using the M50, I had never given the M series a second glance. Now, I see why the line has such a following. It's time to now give my bruised and battered 7D a well deserved rest. While a good camera, the new EOS R is just too big for me on the trail, while carrying so much other gear.

tell me about it.. loved the 7D.. built like a tank.. and as heavy. Used to lug a kid on my back, my 7D and 400mm + 17-55mm 2.8 on trails when I first got it, sigh.. not so easy now. I really notice weight now too.

its one of the things I was intrigued about the EOS R.. that it can use Crop... wondering if it improves performance (FPS) for a smaller image.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
What they actually said was that there would be no R mount on a M body. Some people then started extrapolating that because M is APS-C that meant no APS-C with R. Go read the interview.

If Canon stuck an APS-C sensor in the R body I would buy one of each today. They would be completely different tools. But until I know for sure what the plan is for APS-C with an R mount I won't be buying ether. Canon sold a mountain of Rebels, Kiss, crop EOS etc cameras. Far more than they sold full frame cameras. Every one that bought one sized their lenses for for an APS-C sensor. To tell all those customers to throw all their equipment in the garbage and start over would be suicide. I would switch brands or quit photography before I would drop $20,000 -$30,000 to recreate my APS-C rig in FF.

An APS-C sensor with an R mount would not mean the end of FF cameras or the M system like some people seem to believe. A FF EOS R with a crop lens is around 11MP so can we please stop regurgitating that over and over again as the solution. It isn't.

I was under impression EOS R can shoot with EF-S lenses with the normal adapter. Just shoots differently (smaller image?)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don’t think that is definitive as the code for the certification has been estimated for the camera model. With APS-C the frame rate will be higher but I do not see it being at a 7D level yet so if it is not the 90D I expect it will be an equivalent performance-wise. There are two Canon new EOS-R cameras coming with one lower spec and one higher spec.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

Good point. In addition, a lot (the majority?) of those Rebel owners do not have to replace 20k in lenses, they have less than one k, but to that level of user it would feel like 20k, for their usage. Canon really doesn't want to piss off the Rebel crowd, Canon sells TONS of EFS cameras.

Upvote 0
A different spin, but what are your sources saying about a 5dsr replacement? Many here seem to feel thatis also overdue.
In my opinion the release of one of these two (Canon 5DSR II and a mirrorless 5SDR version) will delay the other one by at least 6 months. Canon knows if the release dates are too close the products will hurt each other sales, since they will be most likely similiar priced.

Would it be about time to release the Canon EOS 5DSR Mark II? Yes. But the problem for the people who want this camera is, that Canon will remain numero uno in DSLR sales with or without the 5DSR Mark II. It's a different situation with a mirrorless version of that camera. While we can argue all day what Canon thinks about the Sony A7R Mark III competition- and saleswise, it should be clear that answering to the release of Nikon's version, the Nikon Z7, enjoys a higher priority for Canon.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I want a 7D replacement, and if possible on a R series body, the M50 is too small and cumbersome holding. That does not mean I would love to own a travel camera based on m50 but shooting birds on an M50?? I think not
You are almost right. Actually, it is smaller than small but I've gotten used to it, after my initial observation of it looking like a toy camera + I can still use my EF lenses via the adapter. It just works for me and it's all I need on the trail.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

At this point when I change I will go FF in the R series. Keep my 7D and then for a compact ILC go with the M system that will still use my EF lenses 100%. But a M5 MII with an 18-150mm and an 11-22mm would be a sweet little hiking camera setup that I would add the heavy 100-400mm as an incase lens if I felt like I wanted to carry a truly long lens unless the M series comes out with a sweet 200-400mm compact lens.
But for many the APSC R would be a great addition like the 7D currently is in the EF line up. I would say Canon needs to drop the EF system as quickly as they can do a similar RF camera and provide a wider array of RF lenses. I see this next year to see some pretty incredible stuff come out with all the lens patents that have been made for a couple of years now.

Upvote 0