APS-C Canon EOS R body likely [CR2]

If you want the EOS R FF, han go straight to the EOS R FF body and lenses. Why brother with APS-C R body and lenses, then go through the trouble of selling it later at ebay.
Most people can’t afford to go FF and the heavy investment into FF lenses. It takes time. Ebay is great to shift the old lenses/bodies and help with the upgrading over the years. People need that path otherwise we might as well have just L lenses and the 1D.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Actually his complain was that it was slow (or the bird faster :) ) He had no problem to shoot them with 5D3 and 5D4.
That is true for ANY CAMERA WITH EVF. THere is a DELAY between the sensor and the EVF. Also another delay between you eye and your trigger finger plus another delay between your finger and the movement of the shutter.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Most people can’t afford to go FF and the heavy investment into FF lenses. It takes time. Ebay is great to shift the old lenses/bodies and help with the upgrading over the years. People need that path otherwise we might as well have just L lenses and the 1D.
Assuming you have already up graded from APS-C to FF in the EOS DSLR system. You should already have a collection of EF lense. Just get the EOS R (FF) body now and use an adapter with all your EF lens. This may be cheaper than buying a future APS-C R plus couple RF lenses.

Upvote 0
Assuming you have already up graded from APS-C to FF in the EOS DSLR system. You should already have a collection of EF lense. Just get the EOS R (FF) body now and use an adapter with all your EF lens. This may be cheaper than buying a future APS-C R plus couple RF lenses.
Most haven’t made that step to FF yet and could well be on that journey or want to keep that option open for later. There will of course be many others starting with Canon and they need that entry point that isn’t straight into FF with expensive lenses. Of course they could go for the Ef-m but that isn’t going to be a transition to progress into any R system whether FF or aps-c.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Most haven’t made that step to FF yet and could well be on that journey or want to keep that option open for later. There will of course be many others starting with Canon and they need that entry point that isn’t straight into FF with expensive lenses. Of course they could go for the Ef-m but that isn’t going to be a transition to progress into any R system whether FF or aps-c.
Are you ready to buy an APS-C RF body with the heavy and expensive FF RF lens just because you are anticipating to up grade to FF later??

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Are you ready to buy an APS-C RF body with the heavy and expensive FF RF lens just because you are anticipating to up grade to FF later??
I want access to the best lenses I can afford. That could be an aps-c, FF or even an L lens. You don’t need to make the step to FF but having access to great lenses is very appealing. Many people do have Ef-s and Ef lenses with aps-c bodies.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I want access to the best lenses I can afford. That could be an aps-c, FF or even an L lens. You don’t need to make the step to FF but having access to great lenses is very appealing. Many people do have Ef-s and Ef lenses with aps-c bodies.
Save your breath. Some folks around here are convinced the R is a fancy new elite camera system with nothing but high-end lenses. In reality, it is Canon's new mount, and as such it will be servicing all sorts of camera models and lenses.

Upvote 0
There doesn't need to be an upgrade path, but it is in Canon's interest to provide one.

I should add that there would be a path from M to R if Canon release an RF adapter for the M (like the EF to M adapter).

The bit in bold: this is my point which you seem to have missed. It might not be in their interest. They must have crunched the numbers on sales, and maybe they saw that so few people followed upgrade paths, it wasn't important enough to bother with (maybe they even make more money by selling lenses and then selling new ones when people upgrade to an incompatible body). We simply don't know - but they must have had (what they considered) good reasons for not providing one.

As for your adaptor comment, I didn't think that was possible, as you'd be mounting the RF lens too far away (by adding an adaptor)? Can lens mount people comment on this?

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
There doesn't need to be an upgrade path, but it is in Canon's interest to provide one.

I should add that there would be a path from M to R if Canon release an RF adapter for the M (like the EF to M adapter).
The RF to M adapter is a pie in the sky. 1. The Flange of RF Is only 2mm ,more than the M. 2. The throat opening of RF IS bigger than the M. You are asking the adapter to jam the RF mount pus the electric connection all in 2mm space

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
The RF to M adapter is a pie in the sky. 1. The Flange of RF Is only 2mm ,more than the M. 2. The throat opening of RF IS bigger than the M. You are asking the adapter to jam the RF mount pus the electric connection all in 2mm space
I am not asking for it. My point is that without such a thing, which is highly unlikely for the reasons you give, there is no upgrade path from M to R.

Upvote 0

dave61

Englishman abroad
Jun 29, 2014
The Netherlands
The bit in bold: this is my point which you seem to have missed. It might not be in their interest. They must have crunched the numbers on sales, and maybe they saw that so few people followed upgrade paths, it wasn't important enough to bother with (maybe they even make more money by selling lenses and then selling new ones when people upgrade to an incompatible body).
I struggle to see that it is not in their interest to tie people into the Canon ecosystem at the earliest possible point. Why risk them going to another brand?

We simply don't know - but they must have had (what they considered) good reasons for not providing one.
It is much too early to say that they are not providing one.

Upvote 0