Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

hehe, i hope they scrapped more than just 1 DSLR in favor of mirrorfree ...

5Ds/R II >> "EOS R5 Pro", hi-rez sensor model (60MP?)
6D II >> "EOS R6" same as R in smaller body, without top LCD and at much lower price :)
5D V >> "EOS R Mk. II", with decent fps even in Servo-shooting priority AF, decent 4k specs, improved UI/control points
1D-X III >> "EOS 1R" ... 2020 Olympic killer beast leaving "Nikon Z8" and "Sony A10" in the dust :)
78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"
EOS 7D III >> "EOS M7" slightly larger + wheathersealed body, LP-E6N battery, more DIGIC power for more fps and (even) better AF than "M5 II"
"all Rebels xxxD" >> "EOS M60" - further improved, same price, successor to M50
"all Rebels xxxD / SL-" >> "EOS M 200" - successor to M100

So I'd say all of their DSLRs could, should and hopefully will be scrapped and replaced by mirrorfree cameras.
(y)(y)(y)

I think that EOS 7D's line replacement, while still being an APS-C based, is going to sport R mount, not M one. Interesting times ahead, though :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I would likely go for the new EOS-R, but with only 1 card slot....and other things that seem less than the "5" level camera, I was hoping for something a bit more pro coming in the "R" line in 2019.
Not sure why Canon is shooing for 2 lower level R cameras, rather than maybe one below the current one and one above the current one...???
C

Article doesn't mention anything about what level the 3 upcoming R bodies will be.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think this whole idea of xxxD and xxD being replaced by M needs to be dropped. XxxD and xxD are coming next year and for the foreseeable in DSLR and later R form. The question will be when will they switch them to RF mount.

Unlikely. the XXXD and XXD series won't carry through to R mount, they'll be replaced by M mount.

I only see the 7D series as being replaced by an APS-C R mount body.

Of course, the lineup may be more complex than this - I don't expect the R line to be direct replacements for D line DSLRs

Upvote 0
Unlikely. the XXXD and XXD series won't carry through to R mount, they'll be replaced by M mount.

Of course, the lineup may be more complex than this - I don't expect the R line to be direct replacements for D line DSLRs
Let’s see what comes next year. It won’t be an M mount I’m certain.

Upvote 0
I am hoping for a 5DS replacement. For those using the EF adaptor for the EOS R how well is it working? I don’t see many reviews yet on the new R versions of L version of glass. I can’t see my wallet replacing all of my L glass overnight.

It's performing well for me. Native performance without calibrating the lens.

Canon 24-70 2.8 II, Sigma 105 1.4 Art, and Sigma 14-24 2.8 Art.

It's very sharp when you hit the shot since I don't have to calibrate the lens.

Upvote 0
If it is a 7D2 replacement, they are going to have to double the burst rate....

Put in a BIG buffer and make it something really good, like 60FPS :)
The sensor used in the R doesn't have the speed to output it's data that fast, but purportedly it could hit somewhere around 11-13 frames per second if it had enough processing power. If they put in a APS-C sensor that had the same bandwidth it could probably do 15-20fps, and use less processing power too for other things like rendering the viewfinder, focusing and writing to memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the cameras they are discontinuing is the 7dMkII replacement.I fully expect APS-C R lenses. Have we even seen any hard rumors of EF lenses being developed recently? We might see something in 2019 but I wouldn't be surprised to not see any released after 2019.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Of course, the lineup may be more complex than this - I don't expect the R line to be direct replacements for D line DSLRs[
The sensor used in the R doesn't have the speed to output it's data that fast, but purportedly it could hit somewhere around 11-13 frames per second if it had enough processing power. If they put in a APS-C sensor that had the same bandwidth it could probably do 15-20fps, and use less processing power too for other things like rendering the viewfinder, focusing and writing to memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the cameras they are discontinuing is the 7dMkII replacement.I fully expect APS-C R lenses. Have we even seen any hard rumors of EF lenses being developed recently? We might see something in 2019 but I wouldn't be surprised to not see any released after 2019.

A 24mp or higher aps-c sensor would be a logical starting point for a 7d2 replacement, whether it has a mirror or not. It could be the starting point for a FF sensor to go in the 5DS replacement. My guess is that cameras upscale from the R are going to come with dual Digic processors.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Not for the xxxD or xxD but for other M cameras.

One will in all likelihood be an "EOS M5 Mk. II". Whether it will be "90D" = M5 with new sensor and specs a bit above M50 (eg further improved Eye Tracking AF, a bit less nerfed 4k specs, slightly better display and/or EVF etc.) - or a fully capable "7D III" remains to be seen.

Second upcoming EOS M model is unclear: either "EOS M6 II" (= no EVF) or an updated "EOS M100 successor"?

Upvote 0
I think it's pretty sure the 5DSR will be replaced next year with a mirrorless option.

Replaced? Most likely. Next year? Unlikely. It's Canon and they don't do things that fast.
I'd change my 5DMkIV to this prospective mirrorless 5DSR but I don't think it's going to happen next year.

Upvote 0
No surprise and to me that means sayonara 5DsII as a DSLR. As long as Canon can offer a state of the art sensor for mirrorless, either their own or fabbed by Sony then I welcome the move. I had hoped the 1DXII would be replaced by end of next year though. I wonder if Nikon D6 will be released next year or 2020. I'm guessing the 7DIII will have to be a DSLR, as Canon could in no way offer a 10fps+ action beast with their sensor tech and DPAF. Again this is fine as long as they can produce a camera that can clearly better the D500 in all key metrics. No mean feat as the D500 overall beats the 1DxII in AF except with f/8 lens combos.

Upvote 0

My guess is that a dual Digic8 processor will be capable of very high frame rate. Traditionally, Canon has used dual Digic processors in 7D, 1DX and 5Ds models so the computation technology and heat management know-how is there. DPAF, and EVF require additional computing resources and battery power. Other APS-C brands, like Fuji X-T3, have overcome the computation complexity by separating the auto focus from the rest of the system and process them on different cores. So it is theoretically doable in Digic8 (which is ARM based, and ARM multi-core processors are capable of independent instruction execution that can be treated as a single unit). Conclusion: high frame rate is quite likely. Perhaps battery capacity remains a bottleneck.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My guess is that a dual Digic8 processor will be capable of very high frame rate. Traditionally, Canon has used dual Digic processors in 7D, 1DX and 5Ds models so the computation technology and heat management know-how is there. DPAF, and EVF require additional computing resources and battery power. Other APS-C brands, like Fuji X-T3, have overcome the computation complexity by separating the auto focus from the rest of the system and process them on different cores. So it is theoretically doable in Digic8 (which is ARM based, and ARM multi-core processors are capable of independent instruction execution that can be treated as a single unit). Conclusion: high frame rate is quite likely. Perhaps battery capacity remains a bottleneck.

I agree. After all, when shooting video they can read the sensor 60 times per second.... Dual digic chips.... another Digic chip dedicated for AF..... It's not like Canon has never done this before.....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why the hate for DSLRs. There are still people who would still buy them.
I do not know either. Maybe the hate comes from dis-functional idiot internet surfers. Who knows? I am satisfied with my 5DsR and I would upgrade it to a second generation 5DsRII without a second thought... But the internet kids know better obviously...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0