Canon said to have scrapped at least one DSLR in development [CR2]

I really hope Canon releases the 90D as a significant upgrade to the 80D, I just don't see the advantage of EVF and staring into a viewfinder with a 1/2" screen while trying to see WTF is going on. Seems idiotic to me. The XXD line is excellent and at a great price point.. Why would I want to dump all my EF-S lenses and start over with some tiny little 8oz camera? Mirrorless is far less expensive for them to produce. Are they going to reduce the price? I guarantee you they will not!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I really hope Canon releases the 90D as a significant upgrade to the 80D, I just don't see the advantage of EVF and staring into a viewfinder with a 1/2" screen while trying to see WTF is going on. Seems idiotic to me. The XXD line is excellent and at a great price point.. Why would I want to dump all my EF-S lenses and start over with some tiny little 8oz camera? Mirrorless is far less expensive for them to produce. Are they going to reduce the price? I guarantee you they will not!
There is EF-S to M adapter. It works very well with M50. I move from 40D to the M's and have never look back. I do not do sport or biding anymore. So there is no need for DSLR anymore.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I can see replacing the 5Ds with mirrorless. Not so sure about the 6D. It will be few years before a replacement comes along, but right now, with the 6DII selling for about 60% of the price of mirrorless, I can see Canon keeping it in the lineup for quite some time. Canon has set the expectation for an entry level full frame to be around $1,200 in the U.S. Mirrorless would have to drop significantly in price to meet that expectation. Canon could just keep the 6DII in the lineup for an extra 2-3 years and let the price drop to $1,000 or less, as they watch the market and see if mirrorless is really going to take hold.

7DIII will be a DSLR and likely the 90D as well. There are too many improvements needed in mirrorless technology before these cameras, along with the 5D and 1Dx, can be shifted to mirrorless.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do not know either. Maybe the hate comes from dis-functional idiot internet surfers. Who knows? I am satisfied with my 5DsR and I would upgrade it to a second generation 5DsRII without a second thought... But the internet kids know better obviously...
I have just returned from 2 weeks on safari sharing a 5DSR and 5DIV with my wife. The 5DSR with 100-400mm II +1.4xTC worked flawlessly for birds and animals and matched the 5DIV + 400mm IDO II + 2xTC and got great BIF shots. I’ll post some shots soon. I’d buy a 5DSR II like a shot. The AF on both those DSLRs is very consistent and locks on really fast to isolate small birds hidden in foliage or birds in flight.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
And that pretty much sums it up. Landscape, portraits, etc., mirrorless is fine. Sports, wildlife, birds – DLSR

And if you need to have your camera in protective casing that would take to long to open and close again (or might be even impossible without removing yourself from the event or getting to a unprotected camera safe area) so you want your battery to last. No only 300 shots camera for me...

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mirrorless is far less expensive for them to produce. Are they going to reduce the price? I guarantee you they will not!

The key word is, eventually. When mirrorless cameras become a mature product where each iteration is hard to differentiate from the last and every early adopter willing to pay a big premium has done so, they'll drop to the price of today's DSLRs, adjusted for inflation.

However, they won't get much cheaper than that, because the demand curve for ILCs is flexible enough; the size of the market is limited for factors other than just price. Even if the EOS R were ridiculously cheap, say, $500, it wouldn't entice a flood of new ILC buyers.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
And that pretty much sums it up. Landscape, portraits, etc., mirrorless is fine. Sports, wildlife, birds – DLSR
I still strongly prefer DSLR for flash photography.

Before EOS R, there was no mirrorless that could even focus properly in a dimly lit room. Even with EOS R, it's not really competitive with any DSLR + AF illuminator rooms. Plus EVFs are just not enjoyable to use when the room is darker. Even when they work, they are grainy and uncomfortable.

Plus, if you're artificially creating a lot of the light (strobes, gels, grids, modifiers, etc.), or stopping motion, the EVF has no advantage at all.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I have just returned from 2 weeks on safari sharing a 5DSR and 5DIV with my wife. The 5DSR with 100-400mm II +1.4xTC worked flawlessly for birds and animals and matched the 5DIV + 400mm IDO II + 2xTC and got great BIF shots. I’ll post some shots soon. I’d buy a 5DSR II like a shot. The AF on both those DSLRs is very consistent and locks on really fast to isolate small birds hidden in foliage or birds in flight.
Me too.

I shot with a D850 for a few days, and there are quite a few things I like on that camera for birding. I'd love to see some of those features in a future 5D series -- including not having to choose between higher megapixels and higher framerates. Such a camera would high on my list.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The sensor used in the R doesn't have the speed to output it's data that fast, but purportedly it could hit somewhere around 11-13 frames per second if it had enough processing power. If they put in a APS-C sensor that had the same bandwidth it could probably do 15-20fps, and use less processing power too for other things like rendering the viewfinder, focusing and writing to memory.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the cameras they are discontinuing is the 7dMkII replacement.I fully expect APS-C R lenses. Have we even seen any hard rumors of EF lenses being developed recently? We might see something in 2019 but I wouldn't be surprised to not see any released after 2019.

It's not so much sensor size as MP count. A single digic 8 seems to be able to 'do' about 250MP/second: the M50 can do 10fps with 24MP, the R 8fps with 30MP. The 5DSR has two digic 6 processors to reach that same number: 5fps with 50MP.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
I really hope they make a 60Mpix 5DSR replacement with the RF mount, then also make this the 7D replacement. 60Mpix with 5 fps should equal almost 13 fps in 1.6crop mode (23 Mpix). There's no mirror to be slapped, so the fps should only be limited by the processing power of the Digic CPU. As the current Digic can do 30Mpix @ 8 fps (no focus), a dual Digic 8 would be more than capable of reaching 60Mpix@5fps and 23Mpix at 13.

Upvote 0
In my opinion the big mess is, that R lenses can not be used on M Cameras.

So far, one could start with a APSC DSLR, then buy some FF lenses and later buy a FF camera and keep the APSC Camera as a backup and teleconverter. I went this way, after having some nice FF lenses I wanted a body who can fully use them.

Somebody who starts with M can not pre-invest in R-lenses, only in EF which I would not do, buy EF Lenses for a R Body. Indeed, one need to buy a full set of new lenses, when getting a R Body. There is no smooth transition path. this makes the at once investment huge.

For me, it looks like, that the M mount was planed without the R having in mind, which looks like a big mistake. So, in my opinion, the M mound should be replaced first, to not lock in customers and prevent them from upgrading.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I really hope they make a 60Mpix 5DSR replacement with the RF mount, then also make this the 7D replacement. 60Mpix with 5 fps should equal almost 13 fps in 1.6crop mode (23 Mpix). There's no mirror to be slapped, so the fps should only be limited by the processing power of the Digic CPU. [..]

Don't forget about the physical shutter, that needs some cycle time as well. The 1DX2 can do 16fps with the mirror up, so the 13fps you mention should be doable.

Upvote 0
hehe, i hope they scrapped more than just 1 DSLR in favor of mirrorfree ...

5Ds/R II >> "EOS R5 Pro", hi-rez sensor model (60MP?)
6D II >> "EOS R6" same as R in smaller body, without top LCD and at much lower price :)
5D V >> "EOS R Mk. II", with decent fps even in Servo-shooting priority AF, decent 4k specs, improved UI/control points
1D-X III >> "EOS 1R" ... 2020 Olympic killer beast leaving "Nikon Z8" and "Sony A10" in the dust :)
78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"
EOS 7D III >> "EOS M7" slightly larger + wheathersealed body, LP-E6N battery, more DIGIC power for more fps and (even) better AF than "M5 II"
"all Rebels xxxD" >> "EOS M60" - further improved, same price, successor to M50
"all Rebels xxxD / SL-" >> "EOS M 200" - successor to M100

So I'd say all of their DSLRs could, should and hopefully will be scrapped and replaced by mirrorfree cameras.
(y)(y)(y)

The AF in the Eos R is very lacking and the "photographer's experience" is appalling. So no...I would not be looking for a 5Dx mirrorless replacement. If you think Canon wold ditch their sales...then you have been drinking too much EOS R marketing kool aid. DSLR's are here to stay, as is Eos R. One is not a replacement of the other but both have their place in the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
hehe, i hope they scrapped more than just 1 DSLR in favor of mirrorfree ...

5Ds/R II >> "EOS R5 Pro", hi-rez sensor model (60MP?)
6D II >> "EOS R6" same as R in smaller body, without top LCD and at much lower price :)
5D V >> "EOS R Mk. II", with decent fps even in Servo-shooting priority AF, decent 4k specs, improved UI/control points
1D-X III >> "EOS 1R" ... 2020 Olympic killer beast leaving "Nikon Z8" and "Sony A10" in the dust :)
78D, 90D >> "EOS M5 II"
EOS 7D III >> "EOS M7" slightly larger + wheathersealed body, LP-E6N battery, more DIGIC power for more fps and (even) better AF than "M5 II"
"all Rebels xxxD" >> "EOS M60" - further improved, same price, successor to M50
"all Rebels xxxD / SL-" >> "EOS M 200" - successor to M100

So I'd say all of their DSLRs could, should and hopefully will be scrapped and replaced by mirrorfree cameras.
(y)(y)(y)
A 60 MP, and diffraction sets in at f 4???????
Macro photography means at least f 8, so please Canon, give us reasonable MP (50 max!)

Upvote 0