Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

I guess it will face the same situation as the Canon EOS 5DSR. Everybody was so excited and when it was released people and internet reviews were like "Wait Canon, what did you do to the dynamic range?". Since the 5DSR video has become more and more important for gear review pages and even though I don't care much about video in this upcoming camera others will.

I'm sure it will be a fine camera for me but looking at Canon's camera releases of the last years I'm also sure that the gear reviewing pages will criticize it for being behind. Well, at least not with megapixels. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
LOL. As always lots of people claiming this camera is pointless when what they simply mean is that the camera isn't the one they want. There are plenty of people, myself included, who would make great use of this.
Doesn't it go without saying that somebody posting in a forum is expressing their own personal opinion? In my opinion, we don't have to say, every single time we post something, "In my opinion..."!

Thanks for letting me get that off my hairy chest.

As for the next RF mount being "entry level," I agree with Don Haines, the current EOS R is entry level! IN MY (our?) OPINION.

And, IN MY OPINION, I also can wait with my 5D IV until 2020 for a new body, and still feel as if I have a chance, IN MY OPINION, to get some half way decent shots.

Heck, I just ordered the Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC, which, IN MY OPINION, got some great reviews. This lens might, IN MY OPINION, just keep me satisfied for a while in the fast, approximately 50mm range, give or take 5mm, until I lose enough marbles to buy a future RF body plus the magical (IN MY OPINION) RF 50mm f/1.2L.

o_O:p;):cool::whistle::coffee::coffee::coffee::alien:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
It's all about the quality of the sensor in my opinion. I mean, the 5D4 was a jump forward in DR, and it is a great sensor. I'd like to see another forward move, with the realization that higher sensor density goes against DR in one respect (pixel-level DR). 75 MPX isn't for me right now, given that I'd have to upgrade my computer system to deal with the huge files. But it's still forward progress.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
My feeling is that the "R" is the introductory model, and that what comes next will be painfull to our bank accounts :)

I'll second that. And I'm not certain my felines are ready for 75 MP close-ups.

I think I would prefer a 22-25 MP version with effective (low grain) ISO into the 200K range.

While I am fine with one card slot, I do wish it were CF; SD's are too easy to drop when my fingers are cold.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Another pointless megapixel race, without IBIS,high dynamic range and and flawless working Eye detection this seems overkill.

Yes, because studio photographers are well known for their need of IBIS or extreme DR. And even DPR reports that the R’s one-shot AF is classleading.

But of course a camera is totally useless unless it happend to have exactly the strong points of whatever competing model is currently in vogue among Internet gearheads.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Doesn't it go without saying that somebody posting in a forum is expressing their own personal opinion? In my opinion, we don't have to say, every single time we post something, "In my opinion..."!

Thanks for letting me get that off my hairy chest.

As for the next RF mount being "entry level," I agree with Don Haines, the current EOS R is entry level! IN MY (our?) OPINION.

And, IN MY OPINION, I also can wait with my 5D IV until 2020 for a new body, and still feel as if I have a chance, IN MY OPINION, to get some half way decent shots.

Heck, I just ordered the Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC, which, IN MY OPINION, got some great reviews. This lens might, IN MY OPINION, just keep me satisfied for a while in the fast, approximately 50mm range, give or take 5mm, until I lose enough marbles to buy a future RF body plus the magical (IN MY OPINION) RF 50mm f/1.2L.

o_O:p;):cool::whistle::coffee::coffee::coffee::alien:
Read this: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Opinions Are Like Assholes.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think some of the negative "reactions" to 75 MP camera rumor are understandable. Many of us invested in Canon lenses, I'd venture to say, would just love to see a camera that can equal or outshoot Nikon's D850 in any light. Another niche camera for product photography and formal, static portrait work would certainly be useful to some, but wouldn't a Canon D850 buster, in either a dSLR or mirrorless body, be appealing to a larger number of photographers?

Canon quality and service PLUS fully featured bodies. What's unreasonable or hyper-critical about wishing for such a combination?

Does anybody have hope that we might be looking at an industry transforming, quantum leap here? That we'd be getting a low light, high FPS, full-frame 4k destroyer of all competition? Or just a 5Dsr on MP steroids?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think some of the negative "reactions" to 75 MP camera rumor are understandable. Many of us invested in Canon lenses, I'd venture to say, would just love to see a camera that can equal or outshoot Nikon's D850 in any light. Another niche camera for product photography and formal, static portrait work would certainly be useful to some, but wouldn't a Canon D850 buster, in either a dSLR or mirrorless body, be appealing to a larger number of photographers?

Canon quality and service PLUS fully featured bodies. What's unreasonable or hyper-critical about wishing for such a combination?

Does anybody have hope that we might be looking at an industry transforming, quantum leap here? That we'd be getting a low light, high FPS, full-frame 4k destroyer of all competition? Or just a 5Dsr on MP steroids?

I read the '75MP' headline with a degree of trepidation... But Really we should wait until the camera actually exits before trashing it!

Resolution is just an attribute of a sensor - as is dynamic range, high ISO noise, tonal range, colour response etc etc. I know people on the internet like to fixate of one individual attribute as the 'be all' of sensor performance, but the the truth is all are important, and you should judge a sensor on the pictures it produces.

And if Canon do push the boat out, and produce a 75MP chip - we shall have to see what it can do before deciding if its good/bad or ken rockwell. It would be really cool if Canon could produce a high res Low ISO monster, and at the press of a button and 18/19MP high ISO monster in the same body....

Upvote 0
The EOS R seems to many of us to be a mirrorless 6DMKII, which is just fine as a starting point. I'm looking forward to RF-mount updates of the 5DMkIV and 7DMkII, while others are doubtless looking forward to RF-mount replacements for their 5DSRs and 1DXMKIIs.

When they do get the dual-card versions, I wouldn't mind seeing SD with UHS-II write speeds for both slots instead of the current mix. Also wouldn't mind sticking with LP-E6N batteries. Just give us everything that we like about our current models, but add something that we will find compelling enough to motivate us to upgrade within the family.

Some of the competition is looking really good right now (A7III, D500, and D850 in particular). Give us reasons to be glad that we haven't sold our glass and jumped ship.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I suppose it's a good thing that 2TB and 4TB SSDs are getting cheaper O.O

I notice that when Canon releases a new high res body (such as the 5Ds) this argument of storage space gets trotted out all the time, but when Nikon releases the D850, or Sony the A7R3, no body bats an eyelid.

In three years of shooting with the 5DS, I have produced 700GB (and that is without clearing out the rubbish) - hardly hard drive armageddon!

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
It's all about the quality of the sensor in my opinion. I mean, the 5D4 was a jump forward in DR, and it is a great sensor. I'd like to see another forward move, with the realization that higher sensor density goes against DR in one respect (pixel-level DR). 75 MPX isn't for me right now, given that I'd have to upgrade my computer system to deal with the huge files. But it's still forward progress.

You can always have a 75 mpx camera and shoot at a lower resolution. Theoretically a 75 mpx camera shot at 30 mpx would be better than a 30 mpx camera shot at 30 mpx.

Upvote 0