Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You are welcome over here Click but it is barely freezing. It will be worse soon :)
Nice shot Alan
I'll be over there in a couple of weeks so I had better bring thermal underwear. In the meanwhile, I have been stocking up on East African dragonflies. These two were taken with the 5DSR and 100-400mm II. The second was at 560mm with a TC, and it picks up the individual lenses in the compound eyes.3Q7A8506-DxO_dragonfly.jpg3Q7A1135-DxO_dragonfly.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
You are welcome over here Click but it is barely freezing. It will be worse soon :)
Nice shot Alan

Thanks Erik
smile.png

-19 °C here tonight... Very cold for this period of the year.

Upvote 0
Definitely freezing conditions over here, all dragonflies are gone :cry:
I'd better plan a trip to warmer latitudes, can't wait the half year it takes until they're back..
[...]

Taking a trip to other interesting, possibly warmer locations sounds like a good idea ;):cool:. Alternatively you could focus on flying objects that are less sensitive to cold weather (the name "Saab" comes to mind :p). Whatever you choose, no excuse for not posting pictures anymore :sneaky:...
W.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Day 1 from a warm place. The first two are using 800mm at long mfd and the last the 100-400mm II of banded groundlings.

Very nice shots Alan! From the two perched banded groundlings, I like the perspective of the '800mm' one better - to my taste the '100-400mm' appears to be a bit too much "top down"... First picture may not show the best perspective for the groundling, but the picture is excellent ;)
W.

Upvote 0
Actually I quit at my job at Saab a few weeks ago but I guess that's no excuse to stop spamming.. You won't get rid of me that easy :p And there might also be a few pictures left in the archive..
[...]
Excellent 'head on' shot Erik!
I hope you have another job because photography isn’t cheap.
+1 :unsure:;)
W.

Upvote 0
I hope you have another job because photography isn’t cheap.
I'm afraid I haven't.. Maybe I need to start looking for cheaper photo gear, what do you think about pinhole cameras made from apples..?
I like the idea but I'm not sure if it is fast enough to catch dragonflies in flight? Maybe a bit messy also? :p
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-41833878

Thanks for the comments, Alan, Wiebe and Click

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm afraid I haven't.. Maybe I need to start looking for cheaper photo gear, what do you think about pinhole cameras made from apples..?
I like the idea but I'm not sure if it is fast enough to catch dragonflies in flight? Maybe a bit messy also? :p
https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-41833878

Thanks for the comments, Alan, Wiebe and Click

Actually, you may have an excellent idea there :p - the messy apple will attract insects that will attract the dragonflies - so you'll have the opportunity to take macro photos of foraging dragonflies :LOL::ROFLMAO: (not sure whether photo quality will be anything to boast about though :unsure:;))
W.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
As usually - you don't look at specific part of the forum and they are putting a pile of nice photos there!
Great pictures from every one!! Erik, that frosted plant is very nice (despite not dragonfly)!
Here is my contribution from today - Common green darner (Anax junius). I don't like the first photo but it illustrates well what happens with most of the dragonflyDSC_3211_DxO.jpgDSC_3245_DxO.jpg eggs before they hatched!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0