Canon EOS R usability issues

Dec 13, 2010
And how effectively does this eliminate lag in the EVF when used with RF lenses? We've had comments that the EVF display lags behind real life in bird-in-flight and other action scenarios.

Is High Speed Display enabled by default? Looks, from the manual, like it should be. Who wouldn't want the EVF to be "more responsive, making it easier to follow fast-moving subjects"? :)
I haven’t tried it all that much, but it was definitely better. I’m using the RF50 so no birding:LOL:

With it disabled I sometimes feel like the VF shows me a long exposure freeze frame with lots of motion blur for a bit to long. But with the RF50 and enabled it’s much faster and shows the last shot for a split second and it goes away faster and it shows the feed again.

All in all it makes tracking that much easier.

The reason it’s disabled sometimes is due to other settings like Anti-flickering etc..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I haven’t tried it all that much, but it was definitely better. I’m using the RF50 so no birding:LOL:

With it disabled I sometimes feel like the VF shows me a long exposure freeze frame with lots of motion blur for a bit to long. But with the RF50 and enabled it’s much faster and shows the last shot for a split second and it goes away faster and it shows the feed again.

All in all it makes tracking that much easier.

The reason it’s disabled sometimes is due to other settings like Anti-flickering etc..

That's new for me, I have to go back to my local BestBuy and try this out. So if I mount an EF lens via the adapter that option is grayed out and I will essentially run the risk of having a slightly more lag/refresh screen in my EVF between shots? As long as the pause between shots is not jarring it's ok but if it feels distracting then bummer =( Software update could potentially fix this no?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That's new for me, I have to go back to my local BestBuy and try this out. So if I mount an EF lens via the adapter that option is grayed out and I will essentially run the risk of having a slightly more lag/refresh screen in my EVF between shots? As long as the pause between shots is not jarring it's ok but if it feels distracting then bummer =( Software update could potentially fix this no?
Yes, when doing fast tracking and shooting bursts it will be much better with RF lenses.

It will not be fixed with firmware as the reason is much faster data back and forth between lens and camera is one of the advantages of the RF mount that the EF lenses doesn’t support.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Yes, when doing fast tracking and shooting bursts it will be much better with RF lenses.

It will not be fixed with firmware as the reason is much faster data back and forth between lens and camera is one of the advantages of the RF mount that the EF lenses doesn’t support.
I've been keeping an eye on this conversation as I'm interested to hear more about what the EVF is like when tracking fast-moving subjects and shooting bursts. I have to say though I am not following why data transfer between lens and camera would be relevant to that. The image sensor and the EVF are both in the camera body, and I wouldn't have expected any need for data to be transferred from the lens in relation to the EVF feed. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I've been keeping an eye on this conversation as I'm interested to hear more about what the EVF is like when tracking fast-moving subjects and shooting bursts. I have to say though I am not following why data transfer between lens and camera would be relevant to that. The image sensor and the EVF are both in the camera body, and I wouldn't have expected any need for data to be transferred from the lens in relation to the EVF feed. What am I missing?
The concern is over the refresh rate, which depends partly on how fast the lens refocusses.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The concern is over the refresh rate, which depends partly on how fast the lens refocusses.

To take that argument to the logical extreme: with an MP-E 65mm the display won't refresh since that lens is fixed-focus? :p

It sounds like Canon tied the 'focus' and 'read sensor' loops together, which works if the camera can talk to the lens really fast, but not if there's a bottleneck like the 'old and slow' EF protocol.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
To take that argument to the logical extreme: with an MP-E 65mm the display won't refresh since that lens is fixed-focus? :p

It sounds like Canon tied the 'focus' and 'read sensor' loops together, which works if the camera can talk to the lens really fast, but not if there's a bottleneck like the 'old and slow' EF protocol.
To refresh the EVF, the lens needs to be refocused to provide the current information to be used in the refresh.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

How often do you use a MPE-65 for tracking birds;)

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I agree with you regarding the mode dial issue. it's really ok the way it is in EOS R. However, I am curious what you think about the touch screen functionality in the following scenarios 1) touch screen af usability under extreme weather conditions where you are wearing thick gloves. 2) M-fn touch bar under the same extreme conditions and wearing thick gloves 3) taking a shot through the EVF, are you able to select/reach the AF points on the left edge of the AF region in one go in absolute mode? I tried setting up the AF region to be on the top right corner of the actual touch-screen even then my thumb could not reach the left edge of the AF points without loosening my grip. Alternate way for me was to set it to relative mode and swipe twice/thrice to reach those AF points on the left edge. Is there are AF-drag speed setting (like PC mouse, track-ball) on EOS-R? I may have missed?

You bring up some extremely interesting points.

1.) I recently shot the camera in both wet and cold weather. My gloves actually have touchscreen functionality so it wasn't a problem at all. I didn't notice water impacting the screen, so it must not have been an issue - but it also didn't get very wet and I wasn't moving my AF point very much with what I was shooting.

2.) I have the entire right side disabled and the left side only turns on/off Eye Detect. Swiping changes my AF area mode and I didn't change it...I could see this being a problem for people who have something important assigned to it. I honestly don't like the Mfn. Bar at all. Physical buttons would be much more useful to me there...this is a very valid consideration I will test next month in the snow with gloves.

3.) This is exactly what I meant when I said "after you've gotten used to using it" because you get really used to its behavior. Moving from one side to the other is a very massive movement in terms of how many AF points it has to navigate over. After a few hours of using the camera it was really easy to understand how to move the point around to exactly where I wanted it to be. I now prefer this method over the joystick and I don't see how I would do this with a joystick...you would have to click it hundreds of times. Once you obtain the muscle memory on how to do this effectively it is a cinch .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You bring up some extremely interesting points.

1.) I recently shot the camera in both wet and cold weather. My gloves actually have touchscreen functionality so it wasn't a problem at all. I didn't notice water impacting the screen, so it must not have been an issue - but it also didn't get very wet and I wasn't moving my AF point very much with what I was shooting.

2.) I have the entire right side disabled and the left side only turns on/off Eye Detect. Swiping changes my AF area mode and I didn't change it...I could see this being a problem for people who have something important assigned to it. I honestly don't like the Mfn. Bar at all. Physical buttons would be much more useful to me there...this is a very valid consideration I will test next month in the snow with gloves.

3.) This is exactly what I meant when I said "after you've gotten used to using it" because you get really used to its behavior. Moving from one side to the other is a very massive movement in terms of how many AF points it has to navigate over. After a few hours of using the camera it was really easy to understand how to move the point around to exactly where I wanted it to be. I now prefer this method over the joystick and I don't see how I would do this with a joystick...you would have to click it hundreds of times. Once you obtain the muscle memory on how to do this effectively it is a cinch .

Thanks for reply. I agree, in hindsight I think touchscreen makes more sense for the AF selection.

I am trying to find the comment where someone mentioned about banding. Anybody here have experienced banding in their photos when using 1) flash unit 2) electronic shutter ? Can anyone verify this? I know Tony Northrup dude showed the example of banding when lifting shadows or high ISO (I cannot remember) in one of his video .

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Thanks for reply. I agree, in hindsight I think touchscreen makes more sense for the AF selection.

I am trying to find the comment where someone mentioned about banding. Anybody here have experienced banding in their photos when using 1) flash unit 2) electronic shutter ? Can anyone verify this? I know Tony Northrup dude showed the example of banding when lifting shadows or high ISO (I cannot remember) in one of his video .

Viggo has problems with banding when using strobes and triggers. I did not get banding when I tried, using a Canon 600 RT flash or Canon radio trigger.

I however, have seen banding on black fabric in deep shadow areas, when there are bright highlights in the frame. It appears at approximately 4,5 stops exposure lifting. My 5DIV appears to be slightly better, showing banding at 5 stops exposure lifting. The difference might be explained by a difference in exposure values.

For my use, I don’t think banding will be much of a real world issue. It could perhaps be an issue for landscape shooters who desire details in every shadow area, and adjust the exposure 4,5+ stops. HDR will be a workaround those rare occasions.

Personally, at least from my copy of the R, I don’t consider banding to be a consideration worth taking into account when buying the R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
BANDING:
If you're experiencing banding when using off camera flash, this is a result of the electronic first curtain shutter that the EOS R shoots with by default.

HOW TO CORRECT:
1.) Go to Camera Menus, Page 6, Silent LV shoot.
2.) By default, this is set to Mode 1. Change this to Disable.
3.) You're done. This will make the camera slightly louder during shooting, but it will eliminate the electronic first curtain shutter and get rid of banding when working with flashes in High Speed Sync.

Upvote 0
I love mine. Changed from 5d Mark iv that I had for a couple of years.

2 real issues with the R for me..

1: when i am shooting in the rain, the IR sensor gets confused about water on it and refuses to allow the screen to work.

2: I set the mfn bar to just have taps at either end for either iso 100 or auto iso. Sometimes when pressing the auto iso end it says not available.

Apart from these minor issues I love it and prefer to my 5div.

Upvote 0