Portugal - The South

Hi everyone!

Since there was already an article about the north of the country, it's not hard to guess that the south will get some attention in this one. Especially the world famous Algarve coast and the historic monuments of Sintra are pictured in the best light.

If you'd like to see some images please check it out.

By the way: I also did some birding in Portugal and I posted that into the wildlife forum. In case you missed it there and are interested here's a link.

Thanks and best regards!
Ben

teaser.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Ben!

I did a fast scan through the pictures, not able to read through it in detail.
But once again big compliments to you for the very nice pictures that take me directly there. Lighting and composition are inspiring.
This one above of the Palácio Nacional is really phenomenal. Khudos!

I will take a closer look tomorrow.
Thanks for giving me some nice distraction through this rainy first Advent weekend.

Regards!
Maximilian

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some very nice photos of a few shore birds and a hoopoe, but no smaller birds or other species. Did you take any? We had a birding holiday just north of the Algarve in the Alejento region with an expert local guide and found the birdlife quite sparse and disappointing. Our one visit to a nature reserve in the Algarve wasn't that fulfilling.

Upvote 0
Hi Ben!

I did a fast scan through the pictures, not able to read through it in detail.
But once again big compliments to you for the very nice pictures that take me directly there. Lighting and composition are inspiring.
This one above of the Palácio Nacional is really phenomenal. Khudos!

I will take a closer look tomorrow.
Thanks for giving me some nice distraction through this rainy first Advent weekend.

Regards!
Maximilian

Thanks for your compliments, Maximilian! We also have awful weather around here! :sneaky:

Upvote 0
Some very nice photos of a few shore birds and a hoopoe, but no smaller birds or other species. Did you take any? We had a birding holiday just north of the Algarve in the Alejento region with an expert local guide and found the birdlife quite sparse and disappointing. Our one visit to a nature reserve in the Algarve wasn't that fulfilling.

Thanks! What you see on the pictures is pretty much all I got. I only spent two mornings and one afternoon shooting birds. My schedule wouldn't allow for more, unfortunately! I could have gone birding there for two weeks straight I think.

It's hard to believe that you didn't see much. The Algarve is really the best part for birding I think. I linked the amazing birding guide of the Algarve Tourism Board in my article. You can find so much info in there that you won't be needing a (human) guide.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks! What you see on the pictures is pretty much all I got. I only spent two mornings and one afternoon shooting birds. My schedule wouldn't allow for more, unfortunately! I could have gone birding there for two weeks straight I think.

It's hard to believe that you didn't see much. The Algarve is really the best part for birding I think. I linked the amazing birding guide of the Algarve Tourism Board in my article. You can find so much info in there that you won't be needing a (human) guide.
I am afraid that the tourist boards of many areas list birding sights and give huge amounts of praise but when you get there it is a different matter altogether. Sometimes, it's because they don't take into account the decline in bird populations and sometimes they just sum together all the rare sightings as if they are commonplace. Believe me, I am an experienced birder and I had a good guide but I have a dismal photographic record of 10 days of birding.

Upvote 0