EOS R things for firmware update

Have you tried to set it to the absolute setting? Go to AF menu number 1, and pick the item on bottom. On the menu that pops up, you can choose between a relative or absolute AF setting. The absolute one is fast and sensitive. It didn’t work for me. Too jumpy, and it made it hard for me to focus to the left without loosening my hand from the grip. I prefer the relative setting. Not that fast, but less jumpy and much more predictable.

I think the touch and drag focus is here to stay, but the one in the EOS R needs refinement!

F***ing amazing! Perfect!

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Have you tried to set it to the absolute setting? Go to AF menu number 1, and pick the item on bottom. On the menu that pops up, you can choose between a relative or absolute AF setting. The absolute one is fast and sensitive. It didn’t work for me. Too jumpy, and it made it hard for me to focus to the left without loosening my hand from the grip. I prefer the relative setting. Not that fast, but less jumpy and much more predictable.

I think the touch and drag focus is here to stay, but the one in the EOS R needs refinement!
I just played with an EOS R briefly.

With it set to use the right side of the touchscreen only, and using the relative mode,it took about 3 swipes to move the AF point from one side of the frame to the other. When I switched to the absolute mode, I didn’t need to keep swiping ... but it seemed like I could only set AF In the right half of the frame. It seemed like I just could not get to the left hand side of the frame at all.

If that’s right, if you use the absolute mode you have to set touch and drag to use the whole touchscreen if you want to be able to put your AF point anywhere (that it can possibly go) in the frame. Is that really how it works? Doesn’t that seem odd, ie if you have only the right side of the touchscreen enabled for AF, shouldn’t the edge of he area which has been enable map to the edge of the frame?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I just played with an EOS R briefly.

With it set to use the right side of the touchscreen only, and using the relative mode,it took about 3 swipes to move the AF point from one side of the frame to the other. When I switched to the absolute mode, I didn’t need to keep swiping ... but it seemed like I could only set AF In the right half of the frame. It seemed like I just could get to he left hand side of the frame at all.

If that’s right, if you use the absolute mode you have to set touch and drag to use the whole touchscreen if you want to be able to put your AF point anywhere (that it can possibly go) in the frame. Is that really how it works? Doesn’t that seem odd, ie if you have only the right side of the touchscreen enabled for AF, shouldn’t the edge of he area which has been enable map to the edge of the frame?
No, you don’t need to use the whole touchscreen in absolute mode. When the screen AF set to the upper right, I have problems moving the focus point to the left part of the screen, without loosening my right hand from the grip of the camera, but if I do, I get to focus to the left. I hope Canon makes the focusing area smaller, so that one can easier reach the whole focusing area. Until then, I use relative mode. It is still faster than a joystick.

Upvote 0
For next firmware:
Direct custom button for to switch SILENT SHUTTER ON/OFF
Direct custom button for to switch EXPO SIMULATION ON/OFF
In Flash mode(auto expo simulation), automatic auto white balance independently from white balance setting for shutting
Add ZEBRA function
Create new folder with DATE name
Improve continues auto focus with face detect
Improve speed autofocus eye detect

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
No, you don’t need to use the whole touchscreen in absolute mode. When the screen AF set to the upper right, I have problems moving the focus point to the left part of the screen, without loosening my right hand from the grip of the camera, but if I do, I get to focus to the left. I hope Canon makes the focusing area smaller, so that one can easier reach the whole focusing area. Until then, I use relative mode. It is still faster than a joystick.
Thanks, that’s goood to know. I’ll give it another try next time I get a chance with an EOS R.

Upvote 0
I would like...
  • A smaller area option for the AF point selection via touch screen, I have absolute set but I can't reach the far left AF points very easily with my thumb. I tend to want to leap between the thirds rule rather than point to a very specific AF point.
  • An option to pre-weight the face selection to a certain AF area for say street photography, so it searches there first.
  • Would be good to have the weird touch bar as Exposure Compensation option, its location is better than the rear wheel.
  • Glad someone mentioned the weird AF point randomly resetting to the bottom left or right, thought I was going mad!
  • Please can we have more options for the centering of the AF point, using the delete button is a horrible stretch especially as this action needs to be quick and seamless. Maybe touch and hold the touch screen?
  • Turn back screen off and use only as a touch screen option to preserve battery power
  • More power options for booting up the EVF much more quickly from a sleep state for that instant moment. Maybe something that senses the camera being carried via the motion sensors and only if the camera is perfectly still will it go into deep sleep?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When the camera was released, I believe Canon said that the firmware update would happen in February 2019. I am not 100% sure of this, but you should be able to search the internet and get that answer.

Googling for 'canon eos r firmware update february' lists my post here as second hit :/ I'm more and more convinced that I didn't read about it, but watched it.
If only search actually worked in youtube...

Upvote 0