Patent: Canon speedbooster for EOS M

@mb66energy ... yes. But I think that niche is extremely small.

Will be a non-issue once "innovative Canon" finally brings an FF sensor with global electronic shutter ... mirror-free, moving-mechanics-free. Hopefully soon. :)

That would be great especially for video: I always like the quality of the "old fashioned" real film movies from 191x to 2010 which had global shutter! Maybe stacked sensor design allows sometimes individual ADCs for small pixel groups which have a readout speed of 10 kHz and the digitized data were read out at 100 Hz and are very precise!

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
In theory DPAF can't hunt, after 2 measurements it can calculate how far away the subject is and move to that immediately. Apparently contrast AF can't do that.

in practice it depends on camera *and* lens/AF drive.

Plus, when there simply is too little contrast in a scene, any AF system can and will hunt before giving up. :)

Upvote 0
i still use the 1st gen original M. It has been on many mountains with me in all sorts of weather, summer and winter. Once it fell into deep snow and i accidentally skied over it. Dug it out, wiped it off and it just kept working without a problem, despite no official weather sealing. Still working well today after close to 50k clicks. Proudly wearing a few battle marks. Not bad for a cheap little toy. :)

An upcoming M5 successor might well be (slightly) bigger with a (somewhat) bigger grip, stronger battery, (even) tougher chassis, full weather sealing and a top-notch AF system. And Canon might call it "EOS M7". Are you ready for action, soccer moms, birders and outdoor sports afficionados? :)

No need for an FF-sized, but only crop-sensored EOS R model. EOS R is about FF ... all the way.

Ever seen the 7d series? Large, heavy, crop-sensor cameras. It gives you better balance and stability when you have large, heavy lenses on them. Throw an EOS-M body on a 400mm f/2.8 and it'll be very front-heavy and unwieldy.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ever seen the 7d series? Large, heavy, crop-sensor cameras. It gives you better balance and stability when you have large, heavy lenses on them. Throw an EOS-M body on a 400mm f/2.8 and it'll be very front-heavy and unwieldy.

Canon could release a large, heavy M camera roughly the size of the 7D with the sample build quality and weather sealing. The 7D is my main camera besides my M, so I would seriously consider buying that plus a grip.

If Canon goes that way, will it be built like a tank like a 7D or be a sturdy toy-like build quality like the 80D?

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018

People able to afford 10k+ lenses like EF 400/2.8 L wuill simply buy an upcoming high-end, hi-rez EOS R and use crop-mode when desired. As simple as that.

PS: I had a 7D. Good camera, but too large for my use. Prefer EOS M + EF-M lenses.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Canon could release a large, heavy M camera roughly the size of the 7D with the sample build quality and weather sealing.

I expect a new flagship EOS "M7", of course not nearly as large as a 7D body. Smaller than any EOS R, basically M5 size, just a bit chunkier grip for (hopefully) a LP-E6N power pack. Decent weather-sealing should really be no problem, if Pentax can do it on 399 cameras. A few O-rings and a bit of PU foam for less than a € in total are all it takes. Plus a top-notch AF system and some fully-blown DIGIC.

Full match of Fuji X-T3 specs at same price ... €/$ 1499 ... all that's needed for Canon to immediately send entire xxD/7D mirrorslapper series into retirement.

Upvote 0
I loved my 7D mk I

But the mk II was a vast disappointmen, so I went to a 6D mkII

Great balance with a 200mm f/1.8 on the front. Hand holdable

Upvote 0
People able to afford 10k+ lenses like EF 400/2.8 L wuill simply buy an upcoming high-end, hi-rez EOS R and use crop-mode when desired. As simple as that.

PS: I had a 7D. Good camera, but too large for my use. Prefer EOS M + EF-M lenses.

See, this is where we disagree. I have a 7dmk2, and I love the larger size of it. It's much more solid and feels better in the hand. Plus if need be I could beat a man to death with it. I don't want a small camera, I want a big, heavy camera. But I can't afford the 1d series, so...

Upvote 0
I expect a new flagship EOS "M7", of course not nearly as large as a 7D body. Smaller than any EOS R, basically M5 size, just a bit chunkier grip for (hopefully) a LP-E6N power pack. Decent weather-sealing should really be no problem, if Pentax can do it on 399 cameras. A few O-rings and a bit of PU foam for less than a € in total are all it takes. Plus a top-notch AF system and some fully-blown DIGIC.

Full match of Fuji X-T3 specs at same price ... €/$ 1499 ... all that's needed for Canon to immediately send entire xxD/7D mirrorslapper series into retirement.

You have to consider the major design challenges with making a 7d series M camera. They would have to resign literally the entire camera from the ground up to meet the features available on the 7d just for that camera. If Canon is indeed comitted to making the switch from DSLR to mirrorless, they're going to need a 1d replacement. And many of the design features on a 1d easily translate to a 7d, greatly reducing engineering costs.

Look at the design of the M series. The memory card slot is inside the battery compartment. You simply can't have that in a professional level camera, it makes using a battery grip impossible, and battery grips are an important accessory for many professional photographers. For an M platform 7d replacement, they'd have to redesign the processing system, and the memory system, and the power management system. Ignoring personal desires, from a fiscal standpoint, an R platform 7d replacement makes much more sense than an M series.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
Look at the design of the M series. The memory card slot is inside the battery compartment. You simply can't have that in a professional level camera, it makes using a battery grip impossible, and battery grips are an important accessory for many professional photographers. For an M platform 7d replacement, they'd have to redesign the processing system, and the memory system, and the power management system. Ignoring personal desires, from a fiscal standpoint, an R platform 7d replacement makes much more sense than an M series.

The M10 and M100 have the SD card slot on the side and those are the lowest level in the M series.

Anyway, if the M7 is a copy of the R, but with an M mount I'd be happy with that. Especially if it takes LP-E6 batteries :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
You have to consider the major design challenges with making a 7d series M camera. They would have to resign literally the entire camera from the ground up to meet the features available on the 7d just for that camera.

"Major design challenges" ... LOL. A mirrorfree "EOS M7" far superior to 7D II would not be very difficult.

Start from EOS M5
* put new top-notch 28 MP DP-AF sensor in [100 $]
* put better DIGIC and 64 GB fast buffer memory in [100 $]
* put top-notch AF system in for full Servo tracking @11 fps, also in focus priority [50 $]
* put lag-free "4k retina" EVF in [50 $]
* make grip a little bit chunkier [1 $]
* stick a regular LP-E6N battery into it [0 extra cost]
* put 2 UHS-III SD card slots in [5 $]
* add a few O-rings, gaskets and foam behind doors, wheels and buttons for decent weathersealing [1 $]
done.

Vertical grip? Canon just needs to follow innovative Fuji's approach. No significant R&D expense involved. Much smarter design. Rather than a stupid connector "sticking into camera battery slot" a 2 battery grip working in combo with battery in camera = 3 batteries total. Plus even chunkier grip for those who like it big. No big deal really. And still smaller than any EOS R mount camera.

Fujifilm-X-T3-1-720x444.jpg

If you want a lot more battery power there's always the optional VG-XT3 battery grip. With the grip attached the X-T3 has three batteries, providing almost 1200 shots per charge. Fujifilm has designed the grip in such a way that the camera will switch between batteries seamlessly, so videos and continuous bursts are not interrupted.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3/3

... and where is "innovative Canon"?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
"Major design challenges" ... LOL. A mirrorfree "EOS M7" far superior to 7D II would not be very difficult.

Start from EOS M5
* put new top-notch 28 MP DP-AF sensor in [100 $]
* put better DIGIC and 64 GB fast buffer memory in [100 $]
* put top-notch AF system in for full Servo tracking @11 fps, also in focus priority [50 $]
* put lag-free "4k retina" EVF in [50 $]
* make grip a little bit chunkier [1 $]
* stick a regular LP-E6N battery into it [0 extra cost]
* put 2 UHS-III SD card slots in [5 $]
* add a few O-rings, gaskets and foam behind doors, wheels and buttons for decent weathersealing [1 $]
done.

Vertical grip? Canon just needs to follow innovative Fuji's approach. No significant R&D expense involved. Much smarter design. Rather than a stupid connector "sticking into camera battery slot" a 2 battery grip working in combo with battery in camera = 3 batteries total. Plus even chunkier grip for those who like it big. No big deal really. And still smaller than any EOS R mount camera.

Fujifilm-X-T3-1-720x444.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3/3

... and where is "innovative Canon"?

You mean a grip like this?

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
You mean a grip like this?

no. I do NOT mean one of Canon's idiotic WFT WiFi bricks. :)

I mean a smart design like the Fuji one. Or what Nikon did with D700 ... a vertical grip that could take either 2 regular batteries or 1 powerful large [D3] battery. Never understood why Canon did not design grip for 7D II that could either take 2x LP-E6N or 1x 1D-X II battery. Simply stupid, Canon.

Upvote 0
I loved my 7D mk I

But the mk II was a vast disappointmen, so I went to a 6D mkII

Great balance with a 200mm f/1.8 on the front. Hand holdable
Weird. I, too, loved my 7D mkI, but I love my 7DII much more. The upgrade from the 7D to the 7DII is the largest single upgrade in Canon history. Every single thing about the 7DII improves on the 7D. I can't imagine how anyone could have been even a little disapppointed in the upgrade (it was worth it for the amazing pro-grade AF alone), let alone thinking it a "vast disappointment". Did you own, or even handle the 7DII? There is still no other APS-C camera, Canon or otherwise, I would trade for it. It's a joy to use, and produces amazing results, more than four years after I bought it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Weird. I, too, loved my 7D mkI, but I love my 7DII much more. The upgrade from the 7D to the 7DII is the largest single upgrade in Canon history. Every single thing about the 7DII improves on the 7D. I can't imagine how anyone could have been even a little disapppointed in the upgrade (it was worth it for the amazing pro-grade AF alone), let alone thinking it a "vast disappointment". Did you own, or even handle the 7DII? There is still no other APS-C camera, Canon or otherwise, I would trade for it. It's a joy to use, and produces amazing results, more than four years after I bought it.

During the first year of the 7D2 launch there were a lot of reports of people not getting sharp pictures in any situation. Sending it in for repair mostly fixed it. To me that sounds like Canon had a manufacturing defect and didn't want to issue a recall.
Another large portion of the "I don't like it" comments had to do with the combination of larger AF spread and it picking the closest thing to focus on.
In the end I didn't buy a 7D2 because it lacked a touchscreen and my 7D1 still worked very well for me. The M1 showed me how useful that is in menus, picture review and the 'Q' menu.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0