Patent: Canon speedbooster for EOS M

The M10 and M100 have the SD card slot on the side and those are the lowest level in the M series.

Anyway, if the M7 is a copy of the R, but with an M mount I'd be happy with that. Especially if it takes LP-E6 batteries :)

Why would you want it to be an M mount to begin with? There is very little M glass available, and none of it is L series equivalent.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Why would you want it to be an M mount to begin with? There is very little M glass available, and none of it is L series equivalent.

because EOS M is Canon's product category with APS-C sensor. It has really right mount, size, weight, bulk and price for APS-C.In addition to EF-M lenses which are all good to excellent and cover the entire relevant focal length with crop size advantage, all EF/EF-S lenses, including L glass are fully functional on any EOS M camera via a simple little extension tube adapter.

future EOS M models can easily be designed to surpass, succeed and replace entire xxD and 7D series mirrorslappers.

No need whatsoever for APS-C sensors in EOS R series. R mount and EOS R product line is all about FF image circle.

Different weight classes, as in boxing sport. APS-C sensor in EOS R body would be like a bantam-weight guy wearing heavyweight boxer shorts going into heavyweight fights. :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Aside from the 18-150 I have all the EF-M lenses Canon released and I don't mind the EF adapter. But I think we're slightly misunderstanding eachother: I don't actively want a mirrorless 7D with EF-M mount, but I would be very happy buying it.
What I am actively wishing for is an M6II with EOS firmware, like the M50 has, and an R with 50+ MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
because EOS M is Canon's product category with APS-C sensor. It has really right mount, size, weight, bulk and price for APS-C.In addition to EF-M lenses which are all good to excellent and cover the entire relevant focal length with crop size advantage, all EF/EF-S lenses, including L glass are fully functional on any EOS M camera via a simple little extension tube adapter.

future EOS M models can easily be designed to surpass, succeed and replace entire xxD and 7D series mirrorslappers.

No need whatsoever for APS-C sensors in EOS R series. R mount and EOS R product line is all about FF image circle.

Different weight classes, as in boxing sport. APS-C sensor in EOS R body would be like a bantam-weight guy wearing heavyweight boxer shorts going into heavyweight fights. :)

The 7d series aint no bantam-weight. It's a heavyweight performer that needs a heavyweight body to match. The fact that you keep lumping it in with the xxD series makes me question whether you really understand the purpose of the 7d series.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
The 7d series aint no bantam-weight. It's a heavyweight performer that needs a heavyweight body to match. The fact that you keep lumping it in with the xxD series makes me question whether you really understand the purpose of the 7d series.

1) I've had a 7D myself. :)

2.) ok, how about
xxxxD = light flyweight
xxxD = flyweight
xxD = bantamweight
7D = welterweight
happier now? :)

My definition of (digital) cameras rests on *size of sensor surface*, not on weight of camera body, because the latter is to a large degree arbitrary. To me no crop-sensor cameras is ever "heavweight".

3) A new "flagship" EOS M could easily be made with a slightly chunkier grip to house a larger battery (ideally LP-E6N), sturdy and fully weathersealed body, top-notch AF and fps, and with an (optional) vertical grip to yield a package far superior to any mirrored 7D III but yet more compact and less expensive than a EOS camera R camera.

"EOS M7" could be sized anywhere between EOS M5 and EOS R. If Canon makes it as big as Fuji X-T3, they might as well go with EOS R body. ;-)
I'd prefer and expect it "as compact as possible" = only slightly larger (grip) than EOS M5.

dzaamtgwxuzuamjie.jpg

4) I expect FF EOS R bodies to start around USD/€ 1500 in future. That leaves price range between 1000 and 1499 open for "high-capability crop sensor EOS M camera/s. To get an idea, just look at Fuji XT-3. It is 1499 MSRP, (smart!) optional grip available (for a total of 3 batteries) and it runs circles around 7D II.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Aside from the 18-150 I have all the EF-M lenses Canon released and I don't mind the EF adapter. But I think we're slightly misunderstanding eachother: I don't actively want a mirrorless 7D with EF-M mount, but I would be very happy buying it.
What I am actively wishing for is an M6II with EOS firmware, like the M50 has, and an R with 50+ MP.

I would like "the most compact possible" EOS R. Then I could finally consolidate from 2 systems [APS-C plus FF] to 1 system only [FF].

Upvote 0
1) I've had a 7D myself. :)

2.) ok, how about
xxxxD = light flyweight
xxxD = flyweight
xxD = bantamweight
7D = welterweight
happier now? :)

My definition of (digital) cameras rests on *size of sensor surface*, not on weight of camera body, because the latter is to a large degree arbitrary. To me no crop-sensor cameras is ever "heavweight".

3) A new "flagship" EOS M could easily be made with a slightly chunkier grip to house a larger battery (ideally LP-E6N), sturdy and fully weathersealed body, top-notch AF and fps, and with an (optional) vertical grip to yield a package far superior to any mirrored 7D III but yet more compact and less expensive than a EOS camera R camera.

"EOS M7" could be sized anywhere between EOS M5 and EOS R. If Canon makes it as big as Fuji X-T3, they might as well go with EOS R body. ;-)
I'd prefer and expect it "as compact as possible" = only slightly larger (grip) than EOS M5.

dzaamtgwxuzuamjie.jpg

4) I expect FF EOS R bodies to start around USD/€ 1500 in future. That leaves price range between 1000 and 1499 open for "high-capability crop sensor EOS M camera/s. To get an idea, just look at Fuji XT-3. It is 1499 MSRP, (smart!) optional grip available (for a total of 3 batteries) and it runs circles around 7D II.

Are you willing to sacrifice performance to get a more compact body? because I sure as hell am not, and making it much smaller would mean sacrificing features. Can you fit dual card slots in an M sized body? Probably not. That was a major complaint about the EOS-R, and I can't see them sacrificing it for a 7d replacement after having implemented it in the 7dmk2. Size wise, the 7d series and the 5d series have always been very comparable. In any given dimension they're only 2-4mm differenc between them; which again I don't see them changing as they switch to mirrorless. I also like the fact that I could beat a man to death with my 7dmk2 should the need ever arise.

I'm honestly very skeptical as to whether an M sized body could properly handle the heat from a dual processor camera, and dropping to a single processor would be a major blow to performance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

You are absolutely right. The 7D series is used by birders and nature photographers who need a big body with deep grip and strong frame to take large telephoto lenses.

Upvote 0
DF9E22F2-2B20-46DB-82FD-F8E10E8B05BA.jpegYesterday, I bought viltrox speed booster efm to ef. Today, I returned it. Yes it do increase lens aperture by 1 stop and make the lens field of view wider. But:

I can notice an IQ loss across all of my lenses. AF speed slower than canon original ef adapter

35mm f1.4 II
AF always back focus with the lens and a lot of color fringing. Image quality loss is very noticeable with this lens.

16-35mm f2.8 III
AF work fine just with 16-35mm III. IQ sllightly worst compared toefm 11-22mm.

50mm L and 85mm f1.2
The lens af motor work just fine but never achieve focus and cannot go wider than f1.0.

The 200mm f2 work just fine.

Build quality is very cheap. The build quality diffrence compared to original canon ef adapter is huge. The lens mount is plastic and wobly.

I hope canon make the speed bosster available soon. My advice is, stay away from this viltrox speed booster for eos m

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0