Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Again, even IF Canon is using encryption, I am pretty sure it will be basic like FEAL-NX (from NTT Japan) or even a simple bitwise XOR-NOT-XOR-based function.

I wouldn't bet on that. AES and the various public/private key algorithms are well within reach of embedded, low power processors transmitting small amounts of data (i.e. camera/lens protocol). If Canon RF lenses communicate via a high level, serialized channel over the new pins the packets could use strong encryption.

If Canon doesn't etch those keys into the silicon itself, with no read out capability, then they can and will be discovered. But understand hiding the keys on the silicon is not a new thing (Apple's Secure Enclave). So it is possible the RF protocol is out of reach of 3rd party lens makers. I hope Canon is not that short sighted and greedy. But it is a possibility.

It WOULD be preferable for Canon to do an RF-to-EF adapter itself. And my suggestion is for Canon is to slowly STRANGLE the EF lenses by changing the mount to RF at each scheduled lens update cycle.

I probably missed some earlier posts in regard to this discussion, but isn't the mount distance a problem going RF to EF? Any such adapter would have to include glass to compensate for the back of the lens being so far from the sensor. Doing the glass right so you maintain 90-95% of the original lens IQ would put the price close to the cheaper RF bodies (by the time they appear).

Upvote 0
You may have a point here but let's see what happens with next body before we condemn it. It seems we want a home run every time at bat.
Even the 5DIV is an uphill battle to get sharp pictures at 30 megapixels at lower shutter speeds compared to a 20 Megapixel body. If the high pixel density is going to deliver benefits it must have either a IS lens or in body stabilization.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Even the 5DIV is an uphill battle to get sharp pictures at 30 megapixels at lower shutter speeds compared to a 20 Megapixel body. If the high pixel density is going to deliver benefits it must have either a IS lens or in body stabilization.
The pixels on a 5DIV are only 20% smaller than on a 1DXII so only a 20% increase in shutter speed would compensate or just downsizing by 20% should do the same.

Upvote 0
The pixels on a 5DIV are only 20% smaller than on a 1DXII so only a 20% increase in shutter speed would compensate or just downsizing by 20% should do the same.
It feels like that 20 percent make it a good bit harder, it could be i am getting less steady as I get older but if i want maximum detail its the tripod or 2 or 3 times the reciprocal rule for me.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It feels like that 20 percent make it a good bit harder, it could be i am getting less steady as I get older but if i want maximum detail its the tripod or 2 or 3 times the reciprocal rule for me.
20% is very little. It means using a shutter speed of a 1/200s instead of 1/160s, 1/50s instead of 1/40s etc for 30mpx instead of 20mpx.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't bet on that. AES and the various public/private key algorithms are well within reach of embedded, low power processors transmitting small amounts of data (i.e. camera/lens protocol). If Canon RF lenses communicate via a high level, serialized channel over the new pins the packets could use strong encryption.

If Canon doesn't etch those keys into the silicon itself, with no read out capability, then they can and will be discovered. But understand hiding the keys on the silicon is not a new thing (Apple's Secure Enclave). So it is possible the RF protocol is out of reach of 3rd party lens makers. I hope Canon is not that short sighted and greedy. But it is a possibility.

I probably missed some earlier posts in regard to this discussion, but isn't the mount distance a problem going RF to EF? Any such adapter would have to include glass to compensate for the back of the lens being so far from the sensor. Doing the glass right so you maintain 90-95% of the original lens IQ would put the price close to the cheaper RF bodies (by the time they appear).

---

Flange distance is definitely a problem! I think it's 44m for the EF (full frame) and EF-S (APS-C) mount and the RF is 20 mm, the EF-M (M5) is 18mm
so a diopter would be needed in the adapter itself.

HOWEVER! The KEY issue is using Glass versus High Refractive Index Acrylic (i.e. plastic lens) which will make it VIABLE for Canon, Wooden Camera, etc to offer an RF to EF mount converter WITH the built-in Neutral Density Filter slot-based or dial-in setup AND with focus and iris ring controls at an acceptable price point!

Using High Refractive Index Acrylic plastic allows a manufacturer to PRESS MOLD the diopter shape and then to use fully automated buffing to get the surface clarity needed for such a RF-to-EF converter at only $275 US (230 Euros) to $350 US (280 Euros) for the entire adapter! Doing the diopter piece out of glass would bring the price to more than $1000 US (750 Euros)!

Plastic lenses are so much clearer nowadays, and if they are coated with thin-film, optically-clear ceramics to toughen the surface of the lens against scratches and glare, then it would be quite easy to make such assembly very cost effective enough that consumers would be made very happy with such a high quality lens adapter at that magical $350 maximum price point!

So for Canon and Wooden Camera, I would DEFINITELY take a look at High Refractive Index Acrylic plastic for any diopter elements and PLEASE do add a drop-in or dial-based neutral density filter system AND proper iris and focus rings with easy-to-see, glow-in-the-dark markings and numbers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I imagine that most CR readers are as unsurprised by this rumor as I am (not so much).

Exciting times ahead for photographers who have learned to trust Canon, and enticing times ahead for all of us (some non-Canon shooters) who know how to use these wonderful tools.

As I've posted previously here, I've postponed my purchase of the 11-24 EF lens--I'm looking forward to what Canon offers in the R mount wide-angle 'version'.
I was very much excited when I read a rumour about the development of a Canon RF 12-35mm f2.8L USM Lens along with some other wide angle lens on Canon Rumors a while ago but have heard nothing about it there after. Hope Canon will pay attention to this lens and surprise The pros. with its sudden announcement. A super wide Non Bulbous Lens like Nikon’s 14-30mm f4.
A better Super Wide lens in RF Range like 11-24mm f4 in EF Range.What do you or most Canon enthusiasts suggest or think.

Upvote 0