The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Which is one reason why some of us use DPP for RAW conversion. Adobe color is quite different in my opinion. I often wonder what the heck happened when using Adobe.

I wondered about this as well when using Lightroom and comparing the camera jpgs some time ago. Then I noticed the Profile: under Camera Calibration which has evolved over time. The import selects Adobe Standard profile. There are other profiles corresponding to Canon's basic picture styles. Changing the Profile can make a significant difference, but it is still Adobe's interpretation of Canon's picture style. Here's a comparison of processing with DPP4/LR6/PhotoLab2 using different picture styles/profiles/corrections corresponding to a default, standard, and landscape setting. The image is from an M5/28mm with Fine Detail picture style. They all can achieve similar effects, but the defaults vary.

Adobe Standard does not appeal to me so I've applied one of the camera profiles for some time. There is no profile corresponding to "fine detail" on the M5/1DX2. This caused me to start evaluating alternatives (DPP and PhotoLab2 so far) to start using in 2019.

Attachments

• DPP4_FineDetail.png
    DPP4_FineDetail.png
    713.9 KB · Views: 169
  • DPP4_Landscape.png
    DPP4_Landscape.png
    699.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DPP4_Standard.png
    DPP4_Standard.png
    684.6 KB · Views: 152
  • LR6-AdobeStandard.png
    LR6-AdobeStandard.png
    857.6 KB · Views: 153
  • LR6_CameraStandard.png
    LR6_CameraStandard.png
    876.7 KB · Views: 158
  • LR6_CameraLandscap.png
    LR6_CameraLandscap.png
    886.4 KB · Views: 138
  • PhotoLab2_noCorrection.png
    PhotoLab2_noCorrection.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • PhotoLab2_standardcorrection.png
    PhotoLab2_standardcorrection.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • PhotoLab2_landscapeCorrection.png
    PhotoLab2_landscapeCorrection.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes and it's wrong. I have processed many events where multiple body manufacturers were used and they all look very different in a basic LR render. Adobe take a lot of time trying to replicate each manufacturers in camera profiles.

To make a wedding dress and the brides complexion match across camera brands at the same event you have to make custom profiles for each camera.

It is very easy to create custom profiles to match brands, which is my reason for thinking people promoting 'color science' are barking up the wrong tree, and it isn't difficult to make your own profiles for any individual camera to replicate any look you want, just save a processed image setting and apply on import.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Adobe Standard does not appeal to me so I've applied one of the camera profiles for some time. There is no profile corresponding to "fine detail" on the M5/1DX2. This caused me to start evaluating alternatives (DPP and PhotoLab2 so far) to start using in 2019.
I think Adobe realized that the Adobe Standard profile wasn't working so they've added new profiles to Lightroom this year. Adobe Color is now the default. I believe there are a total of six if you include monochrome. Not sure that solves your problem but they provide a much better starting point than Standard IMO.

edit: I think Tony Northrups video, which I found very entertaining, was about the psychology of perception. Not about color science which it barely touched on. It was pretty obvious that he has a keen understanding of who follows his channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I think Adobe realized that the Adobe Standard profile wasn't working so they've added new profiles to Lightroom this year. Adobe Color is now the default. I believe there are a total of six if you include monochrome. Not sure that solves your problem but they provide a much better starting point than Standard IMO.

I'm on LR6, not CC. Going to evaluate alternatives before going to CC, although the iPadPro version makes it tempting. Too bad DPP Express doesn't support my bodies. I like the noise reduction in DXO OpticsPro / PhotoLab, but the others may have caught up. Strictly a hobby so ease of use is a key factor. Shot film for 20+ years so I like to get in right in camera and leave minimal post processing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would be surprised if that rumor would turn out to be true! With cycles constantly increasing between generations of high-end DSLRs in Canon in recent years, now with the market (and their focus) shifting towards MILC, it would be somewhat unexpected to see a flagship 1D successor in 3 years, when it took almost 5 years to replace the 1D-X. Not that I would mind it, I just don't think it is likely to happen.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would be surprised if that rumor would turn out to be true! With cycles constantly increasing between generations of high-end DSLRs in Canon in recent years, now with the market (and their focus) shifting towards MILC, it would be somewhat unexpected to see a flagship 1D successor in 3 years, when it took almost 5 years to replace the 1D-X. Not that I would mind it, I just don't think it is likely to happen.

Generally agree. I could see a 2019 announcement with release in 2020, in time for summer Olympics.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I find the 1DXMKII to be an amazing tool. I find that most users don't use most of the cameras capabilities. As a pro sports photog, there is no better camera in the world. For me, I'd love more cross points, auto MA, 30MP and increased DR. By all means shooting the 2020 games in Japan with the new body would be nice. Tied by cat5 to the truck for shots the producers can use for inserts during the games, I'd like weather sealing for the Cat5 cable. I now rig a cut piece of window foam and tape to keep the element out. Still best dedicated Sports camera ever owned. With the f/2.8 300 and 400 my favorites, historic equipment, historic!!!!

Upvote 0
There is so much wrong with the 1dx II, its REALY time for an upgrade. Compared to the 5d iv it feels realy ancient (though it is incredible fast). It just lacks basic stuff without any reason... intervallometer, a working touchscreen, at least a bit of advanced video options...

IMO the 1DxmkII is at best a break-even model for Canon. The bulk of sales (and profit) come from their prosumer lines and the M series. As a flagship camera they know they have to deliver a showstopper. The last few years were spent developing the new RF lenses and the mirrorless FF bodies. With the development of those bodies now well advanced they can turn their attention to the 1D series.
The real issue for them is they have to make a convincing argument for a DSLR in this segment when Sony has delivered a 20FPS 24MP powerhouse that is gaining significant traction among pros.
I find it hard to believe they can deliver comparable speed with a mirror.

Upvote 0
I own the EOS-R and 1DX2. The EOS-R is a poor choice for action shooting and close to useless for BIF. The EOS R frame rate is far too slow. The EVF has a lag which makes tracking a fast subject very difficult. EOS R lacks the power to drive the focusing servos of a large telephoto as well as the 1dx2. Just to name a few...

As the R is a mirrorless analog for the 6DmkII I am not surprised. Using a modest spec mirrorless body as metric to disparage their performance as a whole is not realisitc.
The Sony A9 has no problems being a credible BIF camera and it is certain that Canon will deliver a credible competitor without a mirror. It is just a matter of processing power and appropriate components.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
If I am still shooting sports when the 1DxIII comes out, the deciding factor for me will be autofocus. That's the one area where significant improvements remain possible. I dream of a reliable face/eye detection system that actually locks on the subject and follows it around the frame while the shutter button is engaged.

For me, everything else is quibbling.

If I'm not shooting sports any longer, the 5D IV meets my needs. The quieter shutter, higher resolution and lighter weight make it my preferred camera for everything except sports. I even prefer the 5D for birds in flight, finding the extra resolution more important than the high frame rate.

Based on the current state of affairs, I do think it will be a long time before a mirrorless camera can compete with the 1Dx for sports shooting.

the 5d4 is a very adequate sports camera

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have had both the 5D IV and the 1DX2 and in my opinion the 1DX2 wins hands down for picture quality

Unless you need to regularly crop and you run out of pixels. That was my only regret; if only it could have had a high resolution and low resolution mode select where you trade off speed for resolution. The video swayed me.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
IMO the 1DxmkII is at best a break-even model for Canon. The bulk of sales (and profit) come from their prosumer lines and the M series. As a flagship camera they know they have to deliver a showstopper. The last few years were spent developing the new RF lenses and the mirrorless FF bodies. With the development of those bodies now well advanced they can turn their attention to the 1D series.
The real issue for them is they have to make a convincing argument for a DSLR in this segment when Sony has delivered a 20FPS 24MP powerhouse that is gaining significant traction among pros.
I find it hard to believe they can deliver comparable speed with a mirror.

Yes, with electronic shutter and a whole bunch of if’s and but’s.

The scenarios where you can’t use electronic shutter, and I’ve found a few already, you’re stuck with the same speed as the EOS R at 5 fps with the mechanical shutter. While the 1dx2 shoots away at 14 fps not matter what.

Difference between Sony, Nikon and Canon is that the first two are much about spec sheets and can’t really deliver on them, and Canon who seems under spec’d, but deliver so incredibly solid...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
What do you think separate the two in terms of image quality? High ISO performance, colors or something else?
I looked at the quality of the image for the pictures I take - regardless of lens, ISO and speed the 1DX2 is better than the 5D 4. The 1DX2 has other benefits as well, such as battery live. I am talking here about stills …

The only time the 5d4 was better was when the picture needed a big crop which was not that often as I use a 600mm + 2x for birding. - and then I use my 7D2 which outruns the 5D4 for that ...

We all have our preferences - I can see that the weight and size of the 1DX is an issue for some people - this might be where a lighter camera such as for forthcoming mirrorless bodies will help. The recent lightweight lens such as the new 400/500 and 600 are a big bones for handheld photos - it is hard to wave a 600 mk1 around after birds..

Last edited:
Upvote 0