Ended: Your favourite new lens from Canon in 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The end of 2018 is quickly approaching and all of the planned goodies from Canon have been announced for the year. Over the next couple of days, we’ll be posting polls that will cover your favourite new Canon lens of 2018, your favourite new third-party lens of 2018 as well as your favourite new camera from Canon in 2018.

(function(d, s, id){
var js,
fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
r = Math.floor(new Date().getTime() / 1000000);
if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.async=1;
js.src = "https://www.opinionstage.com/assets/loader.js?" + r;
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'os-widget-jssdk'));

First up, vote for your favourite new lens from Canon in 2018! (Poll at the bottom of the article)
A few of the lenses in the poll haven’t shipped as of yet, but with Canon’s ability to make killer L, and super telephoto lenses, I think it’s safe to assume the performance of all these lenses will be...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
To be fair, there should be "None" option to show that none of the released lenses is something we could use or want to buy which is exactly the case for me considering that RF will not be useful for me for very long time, big whites are not something I would even consider (especially shiny new ones) and those new 70-200 simply don't bring anything new to owners of excellent 2.8 IS Mk. II.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
To be fair, there should be "None" option to show that none of the released lenses is something we could use or want to buy...

I second that, it is exactly my thought about this poll, too. Maybe for a different reason.

My favorite lens of the year would be any of these (if they existed):
EF-S 15mm f/2
EF-S 22mm f/2 IS
EF-S (or EF, but not L) 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 IS USM
EF-S 85mm f/2 IS USM (with less focus shift problems than the Tamron)

I know that it is not likely to get any of them, though...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
To be fair, there should be "None" option ...
+1 and so true.

Allthough Canon showed very interesting things with the new RF line.
That's where my vote went to. But you should also have the choice to show that you were not satisfied with the offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon released 9 lenses in 2018, and a few of them are pretty cool. Even if none of the lenses fit your personal needs, you can still vote on the engineering prowess Canon has displayed this year when it comes to optics. The RF 28-70mm f/2L is a world's first, the RF 50mm f/1.2L is probably the best autofocus 50mm lens on earth. It also looks like the RF mount is the most advanced in the industry and every Canon user will one day be using an RF mount camera. Both the 400mm and 600mm lenses announced this year are the lightest of their kind, I'm still amazed that they reduced the weight as much as they did with the new iterations. They also released that fast prime everyone had been begging for in EF-M mount.

2018 was a monster year for lenses from Canon.

For me personally, only the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III will find its way into my bag on a permanent basis. I'll give the RF 28-70mm f/2L a whirl too.

Perhaps I could have worded the poll question differently.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
My favorite lens of the year would be any of these (if they existed):
EF-S 15mm f/2
EF-S 22mm f/2 IS
EF-S (or EF, but not L) 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 IS USM
EF-S 85mm f/2 IS USM (with less focus shift problems than the Tamron)

I think it's pretty safe to say there won't be any new EF-S lenses from Canon except minor upgrades of kit lenses and other low-end lenses.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, instead of discussing a lens, please keep this interesting by complaining about the poll's format and lack of a "I hate them all" option.

These are the lenses of the year. Canon will be paying more attention to actual sales than this poll, so don't feel bad if your true opinion must be written out rather than tabulated.

Meanwhile, I'm holding on to my 10 year old Samsung 46 inch TV with no plans of upgrading for another couple of years. And I'm going to keep using $30 by-the-month flip-phones. I'm borrowing books from the library instead of buying print or digital. Rarely eating at restaurants. Why? Because I fully expect Canon to release a FF mirrorless successor to the inveterate 5D IV. In other words, I want one of the RF lenses on the above list, but I can certainly "get by" and have extra time to save up.

Happy New Year!:geek:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
To be fair, there should be "None" option to show that none of the released lenses is something we could use or want to buy which is exactly the case for me considering that RF will not be useful for me for very long time, big whites are not something I would even consider (especially shiny new ones) and those new 70-200 simply don't bring anything new to owners of excellent 2.8 IS Mk. II.
Sorry for you... The R is a phantasmic camera, and the M32mm if phantasmic and the RF 35 is excellent as well.....

And the RF 50mmf1.2 is definitely a class of its own...

Don't get fooled if you are disappointed of the "R"....

Upvote 0
To me both the EF-M 32 mm f1.4 and the RF 50L are more than worthy for the lens of the year. They are both fantastic, but the RF 50L is my favorite. It is more than fantastic. The sensible choice however, money and size wise is the EF-M 32mm.

I have chosen the EF-M because for ME it is THE lens in terms of its unique combination of IQ, size, weight, MFD and price. While not having used the RF 50mm prime I think it is a mini-version of that beast.

Upvote 0