Brand new Canon 6D M2 unresponsive

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
Hello,

I have got an brand new Canon 6D M2 ( 4 weeks old ). Yesterday I was using it in cold but dry conditions, around 0°C. Suddenly the camera stopped reacting to any button press including trying to turn it off. What helped for a little while is taking out the battery and putting it back in.

Question is what to do with the camera. Bought it from Amazon and I can send it back or is this a know issue maybe caused by a weak battery and the camera is fine in the end. I do not want to sent it back if it is not caused by the camera.

Thanks!

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hello,

I have got an brand new Canon 6D M2 ( 4 weeks old ). Yesterday I was using it in cold but dry conditions, around 0°C. Suddenly the camera stopped reacting to any button press including trying to turn it off. What helped for a little while is taking out the battery and putting it back in.

Question is what to do with the camera. Bought it from Amazon and I can send it back or is this a know issue maybe caused by a weak battery and the camera is fine in the end. I do not want to sent it back if it is not caused by the camera.

Thanks!
First, if the camera is already four weeks old, can you still return it to Amazon?
What do you mean by "helped for a little while"? The problem happened again soon after removing and replacing the battery?

Sounds like a battery issue, but if any doubt, and you are within the exchange time, move quickly.

Check the manufacturing date on the battery. Does it seem new enough to be in a brand new camera? Are you sure you bought from Amazon directly and not a third party?

Might be hard to recreate the same conditions. Do you have another battery for it, maybe an older one from another camera? Try that in cold weather too, but consider the return deadline.

Oddly, Canon's own specifications (link below) regarding operating temperatures seem contradictory. Under "Power Source", they say that it can get 1100 shots at 0°C, but under "Operating Conditions," the same temperature is the very bottom of the range! They really seem to be covering their own behinds in this case.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...lr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-6d-mark-ii

Sounds frustrating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I recently spent 4 hours outside with my 6D2 on a tripod, shooting astrophotography. The temperature was -15C. The camera took it quite well, but battery life SUCKED! Fortunately I carried three (warm) spare batteries.

Batteries hate cold weather, particularly old batteries. I agree with Yeung, check to see how old your battery is. Quite possibly, you have a new camera and a old battery. It should be an LP-E6N battery, not an LP-E6.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
The battery in the camera was an old one and not the one that came with the camera. I had a 5D M3 before and couple of extra batteries. The battery was fully charged but nevertheless some years old.

Amazon gives a return window until end of January. I can ask for replacement or money back. I do not want to return a good working camera with just some batterie issues. On the other hand I do not want to keep a camera that might has an issue with soldering or something that showed now in cold conditions....

Basically when I removed the battery then the camera turned off. Once I put it back in it worked for a little while and then froze again. What was really disturbing that I couldn‘t turn off the camera. Or better when turned off the display still showed the same. If it is just a bad battery turning off the camera should turn it off. Could also be firmware.

Today I tried again but its about 5°C warmer today. No issues today. Also I put in the new battery today.

Upvote 0
Sound like you put in the old battery from 5Diii, the problem appeared while you put in the new battery (presume came with the camera) had no issue, right? Then most likely the problem is with the battery.

I have 2 LP-E6 from my old 7Di (about 5 years old), one third party new LP-E6 and one new LP-E6N, all work fine with my 6Dii under cold weather conditions. I feel the LP-E6N definitely has longer lasting power than the others.

Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
This thread seems a waste of time. The problem arose when he used an old battery and not the new one that was sold with the camera. All he has to do is to see whether the new one that came with the camera works before asking questions.
Given the bad press the 6DM2 has gotten, it would make me paranoid also. Nothing wrong with asking if it's a battery problem or not. He could theoretically put in a new battery only to have the same problem reoccur after the return window, so better to ask and see if others have had the same problem.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Given the bad press the 6DM2 has gotten, it would make me paranoid also. Nothing wrong with asking if it's a battery problem or not. He could theoretically put in a new battery only to have the same problem reoccur after the return window, so better to ask and see if others have had the same problem.
it's not theoretical at all. Just put the supplied battery in and see if it works. If it does then fine, if it doesn't send the camera back.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
it's not theoretical at all. Just put the supplied battery in and see if it works. If it does then fine, if it doesn't send the camera back.
Yeah, it's sort of like, "I bought a new SUV and now my new car won't start in the cold. Did I buy a lemon?"

"Oh, did I forget to mention earlier that I swapped out the new battery for the one from my 2003 sedan?"

Providing relevant information with the question certainly helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
What bad press is that?
There were a lot of very negative statements about the 6D2 on the forum, mostly because the sensor is not the one that these people wanted.

With a 6D at work and a 6D2 at home, I find that everything about the 6D2 is noticeably better, with the exception of the sensor, which is more or less the same as its predecessor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I was simply referring to the criticisms of the dynamic range and limited focal points that were all over the net when the 6dm2 came out. It’s a fine camera, but all the negative reviews made me a bit jitterish at first. (Jitterish = jittery + skittish)
Pretty big leap from limited focal points, a design decision, to "jitterish" in terms of reliability. I don't see the connection.

Upvote 0