Brand new Canon 6D M2 unresponsive

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I was simply referring to the criticisms of the dynamic range and limited focal points that were all over the net when the 6dm2 came out. It’s a fine camera, but all the negative reviews made me a bit jitterish at first. (Jitterish = jittery + skittish)

It wasn’t just DPR, but seemed to be the fashion to deprecate it for awhile. Not having much money, I didn’t want to buy a lemon, but I’m now more familiar with the evil that lurks beneath on the interwebs. :devilish:

Yes..... The DR was essentially the same, but many hoped it would be significantly better. To me, that was the only disappointment of the camera.

The focus points were more and better spaced than the 6D, with a CONSIDERABLY improved set of AF settings. You are limited by geometry as to how much of the sensor can be covered by the AF sensor. There is only so much space between the mirror and the sensor and short of designing a whole new set of lenses with an increased flange distance, this is it! Pay a whole lot more money for a 1DX2 or a 5D4 and you get marginally more coverage, while those crop shooters, because of the smaller sensor size, can have AF points almost to the edge of the sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I cannot tell what caused the camera to crash, hang-up. What worried me is that I couldn‘t even turn it off. When I switched off the display showed no change, still displaying the same information. Basically the camera hang and that repeatedly. So I could remove the battery, put it back in. Then I could use the camera for some shoots and than it hang again and I couldn‘t even turn it off.

It could be the old battery that’s correct and hopefully it is. I was simply wondering if someone experienced a similar issue or if there is a KNOWN issue with the camera.

BTW - I found that there is a issue that seems to be exactly what I found with live view and firmware older than 1.04 Just that I didn‘t use live view and I already have 1.04 so that doesn‘t explain it.

The weather is now about 5°C warmer as it was yesterday. I used the camera yesterday with the new battery outdoors for about 2 hours and it just worked fine. Within the next week the temperature shall drop again. So I will try then to reproduce the error. If I cannot I blame the old battery and will not return the camera.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I think there is a distinct of a lack of ‘good will to all’ going on here, in fact there are some downright spiteful comments being posted! :(
We should remember that a fair proportion of the posters here are not native English speakers, or English as a second or third language, the op is from Germany, perhaps that explains the misunderstanding?

Cheers, Graham

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.
I think there is a distinct of a lack of ‘good will to all’ going on here, in fact there are some downright spiteful comments being posted! :(
We should remember that a fair proportion of the posters here are not native English speakers, or English as a second or third language, the op is from Germany, perhaps that explains the misunderstanding?

Cheers, Graham
Are you implying that you have to be a native English speaker to understand that using a clapped out old battery instead of the one supplied with the camera might be the cause of a problem?

Upvote 0
Are you implying that you have to be a native English speaker to understand that using a clapped out old battery instead of the one supplied with the camera might be the cause of a problem?
Alan,
I think Graham (and I) don't see the need for spiteful comments. The number of people that post spiteful comments on this list is very small (which is one reason I like the list), but I wish we could get it to zero. There's just no reason to be rude--no matter how stupid you think a post is, or how much smarter you think you are than others. Just please be kind to others.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's not spiteful to point out an obvious gap in information. The OP stated the temperature, so he was aware of the effect of low temperatures on battery performance. But he initially left out the critical fact that he was using an old battery at the time, in his question positing the camera itself as the likely source of the problem. He even initially suggested a 'weak battery' might be the cause...again, omitting the information that he very likely was using a weak battery, rather than the one that came with his new camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The battery is from 2014. I did not re-charge it. Attached the battery info.
I'd have expected worse, but not necessarily. Multiple factors affect Li-ion battery health, including number of charge cycles, age, and temperature. I believe the Canon 'meter' reflects only the first. Storage of a battery in high temps (e.g. a closed car in summer), especially with a full charge, can kill a battery fast.

Regardless, I'd certainly recommend trying with the new battery on an upcoming cold day.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham

Alas, it is the same old story - many folk here find it almost necessary to be rude and impolite. I guess people coulnd't understand a legitimate question form someone who did not say "Canon is doomed."

Personally, I have had battery issues - and have had cameras unresponsive for no apparent reason (and ultimately, there was a reason) - but I have never had a camera that continued to display when turned off. So the questions seems quite legitimate - and even if the answer is obvious (which it most definitely is not based on the actual experience of the OP) that's no reason to question the purpose of the thread or mock the OP.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

The fact that it MIGHT be a problem does not mean it is the problem. I'm sure virtually everyone here on this forum that has multiple batteries has used older batteries with a newer camera. And I think it is quite unlikely that many - if any - have had the specific issue that the OP describes.

Quite frankly, it was your post that questioned the purpose of the thread that started the rude and impolite remarks. You owe the OP an apology, but I'm pretty sure none will be forthcoming.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I hereby apologise for my two posts that led to this storm of outrage.

This thread seems a waste of time. The problem arose when he used an old battery and not the new one that was sold with the camera. All he has to do is to see whether the new one that came with the camera works before asking questions.
it's not theoretical at all. Just put the supplied battery in and see if it works. If it does then fine, if it doesn't send the camera back.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
Hello guys,

Again thanks to everyone for replying. I didn‘t want to create such a controversy. Actually the reason I posted the thread is that sometimes there are well known issues like the one with the current Apple MBPs keyboard or for the 6D M2 with older firmware than 1.04 the camera could freeze, more or less what I experienced and usually people on forums dedicated to a certain brand usually know those issues.

In my case this doesn’t seem to be the case and of course I do not expect that the issue can be debugged even if I describe it very well. Only Canon Engineers could debug the issue. I agree that there is some kind of indication that it might be related to the battery but I am not so sure because I use Canon cameras since 2010 (before Nikon) and of course had plenty of times with dying batteries. I cannot recall that if I switched off the camera the display stayed on in a frozen state. For illustration purpose I added to pictures. Those I did not take during the incident.

What I am worried that there is something wrong with the hardware like a bad solder joint or something similar which could get worse over the years. Again I do not expect anyone being able to debug this from far away. Only Canon engineers with actual access to the unit that does reproduce the error could do that.

BTW - I love the camera and I hope to use it for many many years.

75073E7D-6671-44CA-B49B-BB93124FAC80.jpeg
434E2FFF-7143-4C8F-BE4C-5FF9D6052BAD.jpeg

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You could try to mimic the conditions where it failed previously by putting the camera in a sealed polythene bag in a refrigerator and see if the fault returns with the new battery, and if it doesn't repeat with the old one.That will save you a delay in waiting for cold weather again.

Upvote 0