As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
No they really dont ! I want usable 120fps and something that can shoot videos that has good value. Now with the R there’s absolutely no value upgrading from the M50.
Your response to 'Canon doesn't need to compete on spec sheets' is that you want a particular feature and you don't see the value in the EOS R? Lol. By all means, ignore the facts that the R is the best-selling FF MILC in Japan and that Canon continues to sell more ILCs and more FF ILCs than any other manufacturer.

It may be hard for you to accept, but Canon doesn't give a damn what you personally want, nor what I personally want. Their goal with the EOS R ( as with all their cameras) was to make a camera that would be popular with a majority of buyers, and the fact is (supported by the available data on sales) they succeeded.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oh yes, it's now 2019, the year we takes words for their literal meaning and not their obvious implication. Do go on.
I'm not the one claiming a practical RF lens to EF mount adapter is impossible. I certainly don't think Canon will produce one, but that doesn't mean it's impossible… I suspect it could even offer some functionality to the control ring on RF lenses, considering that the EF supertelephoto lenses have an AF Stop button, to which any of several functions can be assigned.

Then again, it is 2019, the year that some people make ridiculous assertions and expect people to take their bullshit as truth. So by all means, do go on making your unsubstantiated claims.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maybe Canon has run out of ideas on EF lens as they’ve come close to perfection. If I were R&D designing new lens for Eos-R would be far more interesting.
The EF lens lineup is extensive and mature. The RF lens lineup is quite limited. It makes perfect sense that they would devote substantial resources to the new line to get it up to speed.

Upvote 0
Looking at this list I wonder whether Canon will really come up with a RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS like lens. Wouldn't that cannibalize sales of their new RF 28-70mm f/2 lens? Given the price level of actual EF 24-70 f/2.8 lenses, they wouldn't play exactly in the same league, of course, but close enough for sales interferences. On the other hand, a cheaper RF 24-70mm f/4 lens wouldn't make too much sense because the new 24-105mm RF kit lens seems to be very good and much more versatile. Interesting to watch which new RF lenses Canon will finally give a real go.

I don't think so. I think it depends on whether or not the RF 28-70 f/2 is selling well despite there being an EF 24-70 f/2.8 II. I see the RF 28-70 as an event lens -- a compromise for those switching between a 24-70 f/2.8 and f/1.4 or f/2 primes. It's big and heavy. I don't see it used much as for travel, hiking, etc. The 24-70 is much smaller/lighter and better for general purpose. I see the 28-70 more as a specialized lens like the 11-24.

Upvote 0
I wonder if Canon invested years of development and testing to new lenses like EF 24-70 IS, new 50 and maybe even promised affordable super-telephoto lens they will just cancel them? I assume at least first two must be in very advanced stage and could be released anytime. They may not be top in class but after all those years they will not be bad either. So why not to just start selling what they have and capitalize on all those years of development which was already done?

They will if it no longer makes sense. It is rumored they killed off at least 1 DSLR in development, and rumor also had it that the 24-70 II was chosen amongst a version that had IS. I can see that releasing an EF 24-70 f/2.8 IS making sense if it is close, but I would also expect the upcoming RF version to be better or lighter or both. For as much as it takes to develop a new design and a prototype, it costs much more to put it into production.

Upvote 0
Guys, you're the experts here and I need advice: should I buy EOR R with kit RF 24-105mm f/4 and fix 50mm f/1.2 now or wait for EOS R Pro?

At present I have Canon 450 with Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I've had this setup for about 12 years and was looking to upgrade since year 1. First, I wanted better ISO performance from the camera, then better lenses, then both. At present, I want to invest around £5k into a future-proof system that would provide solid performance for another 10 years.

I am looking to shoot family & friends' portraits, trips, possibly some landscape and night photography.

I have no interest in video, well, at least I am not concerned about crop factors / etc and I do not like flash: built-in option never worked & I am not setting-up full rig. For that reason I always wanted fast lenses.

Should I wait for EOS R Pro?

Thanks!

If you're thinking about not buying/upgrading anything else for the next 10 years, then no, wait for the pro. But if you are willing to lose a few hundred to use the equipment now, then yes. The new system will AF better even with EF lenses, and the RF 50 is a spectacular lens. The RF 24-105 is a competent lens and suited for general purpose. If you are willing to rent the R/RF system for a couple weeks to try it out, then it'd probably make sense to buy it now and upgrade the R body later as needed because the costs will be similar but you'd have R system to use for that much longer. You would also be able to wait for the Pro version price to settle/fall a bit because you already have the R. If you're mostly satisfied with your current system and want the absolute lowest price, then wait. Ultimately, you need to figure out what your opportunity cost is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Guys, you're the experts here and I need advice: should I buy EOR R with kit RF 24-105mm f/4 and fix 50mm f/1.2 now or wait for EOS R Pro?

At present I have Canon 450 with Canon 50mm f/1.4 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I've had this setup for about 12 years and was looking to upgrade since year 1. First, I wanted better ISO performance from the camera, then better lenses, then both. At present, I want to invest around £5k into a future-proof system that would provide solid performance for another 10 years.

I am looking to shoot family & friends' portraits, trips, possibly some landscape and night photography.

I have no interest in video, well, at least I am not concerned about crop factors / etc and I do not like flash: built-in option never worked & I am not setting-up full rig. For that reason I always wanted fast lenses.

Should I wait for EOS R Pro?

Thanks!
The EOS R is certainly a good camera and there are many happy users here. But, don't be rushed into buying now because others have done so as we don't know what Canon will produce this year unless you are satisfied the R has all you want in a camera.

Upvote 0
wouldn't it be better to fix the complaints people had with the eos r camera and come out wit a new improved mark 2, instead of bringing out a tonne of lenses ...

Quite sure Canon has different teams designing lenses and cameras; even sensor designers and software engineers. So yeah, there will be more camera bodies on the way for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
wouldn't it be better to fix the complaints people had with the eos r camera and come out wit a new improved mark 2, instead of bringing out a tonne of lenses to attatch to a product that still doesn't match up to a sony a7iii.

I'm glad that Canon is pushing out so many high quality RF lenses because it shows its commitment to the system. Does anyone remember Samsung's foray into cameras? They had better stuff than Sony at the time, but they the exited the market. Lenses define the system, and Canon's choice in releasing a bunch of RF L's is showing that Canon is preparing for the long term.

I'd rather have the R with the RF lenses rather than the choice that Nikon made with compact/slow lenses launched with the Zs. Canon's "problem" can be fixed by releasing 1 or 2 bodies, whereas the Z7 doesn't focus as well as their D850 and costs more. Why would a person buy a Nikon? For f/1.8 primes or a f/4 zoom at higher prices than their F mount equivalents? I jumped into the R system because of good pricing during the holiday season and because of the lenses. It's grown on me -- a lot more than I expected. I swapped the EF 35 f/2 IS for the RF 35 f/1.8 IS as a compact walk-around setup, and have the RF 24-105 and the RF 50, and I'm sure that many other R adopters did it for the glass as well.

With the RF 35 f/1.8 IS, 50 f/1.2, 24-105 f/4 IS, and 28-70 f/2 already available, and the RF 16-35mm f/2.8, RF 24-70mm f/2.8 IS, RF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, RF 105mm f/1.4, RF 85mm f/1.8 IS, RF Macro lens, RF non-L kit lens coming soon, that would cover the majority of the needs of most photographers. Add in EF compatibility, and there is more lens capability in the R system than there will be in the EF system. And then, Canon will just have to release a couple cameras to win over the 1D/5D users.

Upvote 0
The other competitors are ALREADY on the way! Canon DOES NOT have much time on this!

Your old posts were crazy but at least had novelty value. This is just the same old conventional 'the sky is falling and Canon needs to act fast' nonsense we've heard here for years. Why *now* is this line true, when every previous time it turned out not to be?

Upvote 0
Mirrorless will grow when it becomes fully competitive with DLSR cameras in their own wheelhouse. When an "R" body can perform like the 1Dx II (or a 7D2, or 5D4), then the move will start. Notice that Canon made EF compatibility a priority with the R, to make the transition relatively painless when the time comes.

You're implying that the high-end bodies drive sales, but that's not true. The vast majority of cameras sold are at the low end - so why would the introduction of a 1-series equivalent mirrorless cause significant growth of that sector? Even within FF, which is itself a minority of bodies, the 1-series must sell far less than cheaper cameras.

Upvote 0