As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
I meant a publicly-accessible roadmap. Canon doesn't work that way, apparently - they obviously have internal plans.

But I honestly don't understand your position. They aren't going to abandon EF! Even if they never make another EF lens, which I'd be very surprised by, they will continue to support existing ones for many years. Beyond that the bottom line is: there are no guarantees. When you buy stuff, you don't know what will happen - but Canon are the biggest player in this market so they are unlikely to go bust and leave you with gear that can't be serviced, and the resale values hold up well, so I don't see why it's such a big deal. I still say the situation is essentially the same now as it was a year ago - all lenses have deficiencies. Some will be replaced, some may never be, we don't know which. You have to buy what suits you best at the time. You'll probably want a new body at some point, if you go with an R-series, they'll take your existing glass. If the new lenses you want are RF then you'll have to buy an R-series if you want to use them (this is the only difference). But by then there will be a choice of bodies and one will likely meet most of your needs (but no body is perfect, regardless of mount or manufacturer). *Shrug*

Service is one thing, bringing out new and improved lenses or bodies another. For over two decades the path was clear and one could happliy buy into the system, assured that there is one system. That was kind of a guarantee, which made this a very safe home. As I said, in my opinion some EF-lenses need improvement, which won't likely happen anymore. Therefore you are forced to buy into the new system, if you want to get these improvements. The resale values of older lenses will drop, if better alternatives exist in native glass. Since I am not made of money, this is naturally of some concern to me.
Another choice I am confronted now is to stay with canon (not likely with the EOS R), or switch to another system all together, since buying another body is a given fact someday. Canon may bring something to the table, but judging from the latest releases, I am not convinced that they will or are able to. EOS R is not for me, too many things that annoyed me (ergonomics, not working features) during my tests with it. If they would have done it differently, I would not question this at all.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
As I said, in my opinion some EF-lenses need improvement, which won't likely happen anymore. Therefore you are forced to buy into the new system, if you want to get these improvements.

There are certainly some EF lenses that could use improvements that won't get them. But then again, that was always the case, like the 50/1.4. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the RF system.

On the other hand, I think there will be many EF lenses, including some that aren't bestsellers, that will continue to see refreshes and updates for the foreseeable future. Sure, the cadence may slow, but there are just a ton of EF bodies out there; that's a market that Canon won't leave unserviced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Why is it ludicrous?

They will continue to manufacture lenses for the EF mount for as long as there is demand, I'm sure. But do they need to invest in new designs? Why would they bother now? I'm sure every Canon DSLR owner who wants to buy EF lenses already has a wish list of existing lenses that's far greater than they can realistically afford. Canon won't stop selling EF lenses to us if they stop launching new ones.

I would be suprised to see a new 70-200mm f2.8 mk4 in 5 years.
Maybe canon will do that but that will sure be the last version then.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would be suprised to see a new 70-200mm f2.8 mk4 in 5 years.
Maybe canon will do that but that will sure be the last version then.

Why? Because you say so?

Canon will release new versions of lenses whenever they feel the convergence of imaging technology, manufacturing improvements and customer demand justifies a new version. Anyone on this forum who claims to know with certainty what the future holds is simply revealing their own ignorance.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It is incredible what everyone reads into this rumour!

First off, IT IS A RUMOUR!

Second, look at the lens lineup for EF, and look at the lens lineup for R. R was just introduced, this means that for the next few years Canon is going to be trying very hard to increase the R lens lineup.

Third, the vast bulk of Canon lens sales are EF and EF-s. The vast bulk of cameras in the field take EF and EF-s lenses. Even if Canon did not sell a single EF or EF-s camera from today onwards, it will take several years before R cameras become the majority, and there is no way that is going to happen.

Fourth, didn't Canon just come out with a bunch of new L glass? Not exactly the sign of a company getting ready to drop a line.... and why in the world would anyone think they were getting ready to drop their major line that supports most of their cameras?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...and why in the world would anyone think they were getting ready to drop their major line that supports most of their cameras?
One clear takeaway from reading this forum is that there are some people who prefer to ignore facts, data, and the objective world in favor of their own personal reality. I think for some people, living a delusion is easier than admitting to being incorrect.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Fourth, didn't Canon just come out with a bunch of new L glass? Not exactly the sign of a company getting ready to drop a line.... and why in the world would anyone think they were getting ready to drop their major line that supports most of their cameras?

Because most forum dwellers are idiots? Could that possibly be true? :love::love::love:

Upvote 0
8192 x 4320 = 35.38944 megapixels

The 8192x4320 pixel recording is for video but the image sensor itself is 4:3 ratio at 8192 x 6144 pixels allowing users to DEFINE their own aspect ratio for video and stills recording. We only could get 30 fps at the 8192x6144 pixels BUT for stills you STILL get the full 50,331,648 pixels of the entire sensor (50.3 megapixels). So in order to get 60 fps DCI-8k (8192x4320 pixels) VIDEO RECORDING at 4:4:4 RGB + A or D (16 bits per channel or 64 bits colour pixels) we had to VERTICALLY CROP the 4:3 sensor to a 1.89:1 aspect ratio similar to what Sony Venice does in terms of it's OWN aspect ratio agnostic sensor.

---

Anyways neither here or there...it's sitting on my desk UNLIKE what Canon or Sony can do!

The most advanced COMBINED stills and video camera EVER!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 8192x4320 pixel recording is for video but the image sensor itself is 4:3 ratio at 8192 x 6144 pixels allowing users to DEFINE their own aspect ratio for video and stills recording. We only could get 30 fps at the 8192x6144 pixels BUT for stills you STILL get the full 50,331,648 pixels of the entire sensor (50.3 megapixels). So in order to get 60 fps DCI-8k (8192x4320 pixels) VIDEO RECORDING at 4:4:4 RGB + A or D (16 bits per channel or 64 bits colour pixels) we had to VERTICALLY CROP the 4:3 sensor to a 1.89:1 aspect ratio similar to what Sony Venice does in terms of it's OWN aspect ratio agnostic sensor.

---

Anyways neither here or there...it's sitting on my desk UNLIKE what Canon or Sony can do!

The most advanced COMBINED stills and video camera EVER!

---

AND...the ONLY reason we had to do that is because of a CPU/GPU processor limitation. The REST of the camera software can actually do full 8192 x 8192 recording but the CPU itself is bandwidth limited. This will be changed in newer versions in the next 3 to 4 years but for this iteration it's DCI 8k 8192x4320 60 fps 4:4:4 64-bit RGB + A or D pixels for VIDEO and 50.3 megapixels STILLS coming off of a 8192 x 6144 photosite BAYER-formatted High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor that uses 32-bits per channel ADC (32-bits per channel Analog to Digital Convertor downsampled to 16-bits per channel for BEST IMAGE QUALITY EVER)!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I mostly photograph wildlife and use a Canon 7D II body. My main lens for such use is a Sigma 150mm -600mm Sport. (I do own 5 Canon "L" lenses.) I have been contemplating buying a Canon 600mm F4.0 III, but have delayed the purchase because of uncertainty regarding mirrorless bodies. The 7D II sensor, if full frame, would be greater than 50 MP. So unless Canon can supply a mirrorless body with a full-frame sensor of greater than 50 MP, or else an APS-C sensor in a mirrorless body, I am totally uninterested in the "R" lenses listed. I also use a Sony RX10-IV which has a Zeiss lens that zooms to 600mm at F4.0 (equivalent). Much lighter to lug around, but doesn't get me the 960mm equivalent of the Canon gear. However, if Sony brings out an RX10-V with 800mm equivalent or more and no more than F5.6 equivalent at 800mm and around 22 MP, then I would drop the Canon equipment. As a bonus, the silent shutter of the Sony decreases the anxiety of small birds. I know several other photographers doing similar work who are using the Sony RX10-IV more and carrying the Canon/Nikon gear less. Perhaps not a large market niche, but one that supports the Big Whites (or Blacks). Meanwhile consumer use of rapidly improving smartphones for their photography is also increasing. To date, though, such phones are not useful for wildlife photography. Canon may be trying to protect a market that it has already lost. Perhaps Canon should come out with a smartphone with a fancy camera on it and forget about "R" bodies and lenses. And if they don't upgrade their equipment for wildlife/sports photography, they will also lose this market to cameras like the Sony RX10-IV and its successors.
I wonder if it would be possible get compare pictures about something 10cm wide 3meter away from camera ,with sony rx10-iv with full 200mm zoom and crop sensor canon with good quality 200mm objective. crops from 100% picture so could see what one is sharper? anyone knows pair like this on net?

Upvote 0
I think the fact that you haven't told me what it's called, who makes it, or where I can buy it says everything I need to know about it.

---

You'll see it soon enough.... but I will give you a hint ... Ap??? !!!

To put it mildly, WHAT OTHER COMPANY could have afforded to buy me a Bell 429 ???

...and I actually GOT PERMISSION to leak that word noted above in that particular manner, which is NOT a normal thing for them to do ... which shows you JUST HOW IMPORTANT this new type of CODEC and advanced CMOS SENSOR technology really is !!!! --- AND....there is a heck of a LOT MORE COMING DOWN THE PIPELINE with this technology!!!
In September, there will be a DELUGE of NEW products to make consumers drool! AND YES! I got permission to say this too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if it would be possible get compare pictures about something 10cm wide 3meter away from camera ,with sony rx10-iv with full 200mm zoom and crop sensor canon with good quality 200mm objective. crops from 100% picture so could see what one is sharper? anyone knows pair like this on net?
I have compared the Sony RX10IV at a nominal 600mm (ie 220mm on 1") with my very sharp 100-400mm II at 400mm on my 5DSR and 5DIV. The Sony resolution is very similar to the to 5DIV combo but not as good as the 5DSR. The Sony would easily outresolve 200mm on an APSC as 400mm on a 5DIV will outresolve 200mm on a 7DII.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Yes its expected it would be better than 5DIV on bird photographing .Canon full frames got low pixel density compared to Rx10iv ,full frame with same density would be 180 mpx.
I never heard any lens would outresolve APSC would be supriced if first is superzoom not prime lens? If Rx10iv can resolve 1/3 its pixels it would be equal with APCS i would think?

Upvote 0