The Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS R continued to sell well in December

How is that possible when is has no more DR than the original 6D?!? DPR and some other review sites made it abundantly clear how terrible that was, and yet people are still buying it. SMH.

;)

I own both the 6D and 6D2 and it's really hard to go back to the 6D once you start using the 6D2. It operates a lot faster. The UI is faster. Taking photos is faster. AF is faster. You can tap to focus as well as tap to shoot (though the tap to shoot was way too slow to be useful; it's so much slower than a smartphone tap to shoot). It makes it fun to shoot. It has a touchscreen. The screen is flip out and articulating so you can get really creative in your framing (no more lying in the dirt for that low-high shot). The 6D was almost worthless for video because the AF was awful (remember, 6D2 had dual pixel AF while the 6D had contrast).

And the resolution difference was noticeable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
You're right. Low-end APS-C DSLRs are still selling well, especially the bundles with two low-end lenses. And they'll continue to sell them while they can make a profit from them.

But that's not really the market we're interested in here, is it? The only FF camera in the top 10 is a mirrorless.

Indeed. Cheapish DSLR kits still sell.... but for how long.
I will maybe buy used EF lenses... but when i buy new lenses they will be RF.

RF is the future. No matter what the 60+ crowd says.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
The M50 seems to be a very popular vlogging camera, putting the Canon brand in a good position to capture younger demographics, among other things. They know what they're doing.

And it is cheap!
I may had bought one if the m-mount would not feel so dead
Or if it would be an open mount and there would be some sigma, tamron lenses for it.

I like that i can mount my FF glass directly on a canon aps-c DSLR camera. But it is not the same with a damn adapter.
So canon aps-c is dead for me as long as they do not make an RF-S mount and lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

So it's your contention that >60% of ILCs are bought by the '60+ crowd'? LOL.

YKNJS.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

So it's your contention that >60% of ILCs are bought by the '60+ crowd'? LOL.

YKNJS.
Ageism like most offensive "isms" usually is a product of ignorance as well as prejudice.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Young and dynamic people buy mirrorless, old farts buy DSLR, is that what you mean ?
A very intelligent point of view...

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Indeed. He's made such comments before, it's one reason I find his comments inane. I should probably just dismiss them as moronic musings, rather than replying to them.

honestly... nobody cares about what you do.. old geezer. :D

you spend half you life on a photography forum insulting other members.
for example go back a few years and look at the post you made about sony cameras, their users and your "predictions" for sony.
so who is moronic here is no question.... ;)

it is my observation that older folks tend to stick to DSLR cameras. younger embrace the mirrorless systems.

Young and dynamic people buy mirrorless, old farts buy DSLR, is that what you mean

well i was at photokina 2018 and the majority of 60+ people had a DSLR camera. younger folks in the 20-30 had mostly mirrorless.
when i talk to old folks they never stop saying "EVF are not good, i want an optical VF".

several studys support that.

The consumer study revealed that two-thirds of mirrorless camera users are within the age range of 18 – 35 years of age, and three-fifth of those who have the intention to purchase also fall within this age bracket.

On top of the sales momentum, InfoTrends’ customer surveys demonstrate how strong innovation in the mirrorless space is continuing to attract a younger and more photo active ILC customer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yep t2i censor is still sharper than lenses .on right light conditions shouldnt be much difference to what ever camera
The idea of sensor and lens sharpness, and one being 'higher' than the other, is a totally spurious concept and illustrates a complete lack of understanding of how system resolution is defined.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, thanks for making that clearer with each post you make.

it is my observation that older folks tend to stick to DSLR cameras. younger embrace the mirrorless systems.
Some use both, and have done so for many years, across generations.

YKNJS.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

for example go back a few years and look at the post you made about sony cameras, their users and your "predictions" for sony.

well i was at photokina 2018 and the majority of 60+ people had a DSLR camera. younger folks in the 20-30 had mostly mirrorless.
when i talk to old folks they never stop saying "EVF are not good, i want an optical VF".

I really admire the precision of your statistics and your knowledge of so many objective "studys"!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

The 60 and over crowd has the money and spends it on DSLRs. The 35 and under crowd uses cell phones until they have a kid, then they buy a mirrorless camera to preserve every moment of their little precious one's life on Facebook. Most will soon tire of the camera and go back to using a cell phone. Canon can be excused for catering to the crowd that is most loyal and has the most money.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

And most of the people are between 30 and 60. What about them?

BTW, I have mirrorless and I have DSLR. I have Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Leica. I have superzoom, and I shoot with my phone. I firmly believe that the majority of people on this forum do not fit neatly into a pigeon hole. Many of us, and particularly the pros, use the right tool for the job.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Although I'm not quite in the old fart category yet (40s) one of the reasons I've switched to mirrorless is that as my eyesight gets worse I find being able to review images inside the EVF (which is adjusted for my eyes) so much easier than having to whip out reading glasses and use the rear display.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I'm never going to buy another DSLR.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
BCN essentially tells us the Japan market, which per capita is the largest market for cameras.

Overall it's only around 12% of the market, but it's also the only market that sells more mirrorless than DSLR's right now. so it's potentially a look into the future. You can also say that BCN looks at 6% of the entire global market with 100% accuracy.

It's also the local domestic market which at least for Canon, they weigh that very heavily in their decisions. Domestic marketshare for them is quite important, they are on record as having that as a business objective for #2 and also #1 in mirrorless for a while now.

Also, no one else reports for free this kind of data in any other region, so what are we supposed to do, ignore BCN all together as a data point?

If the market was homogeneous worldwide, then yes, BCN would be a good source of information to extrapolate from. But it isn't, at all*, and so people make wrong assumptions because they base them on incomplete data. What's worse, though, is that what BCN publishes is very partial information. They make sales rankings for each month of the year, but never list the number of units or market share percentages, and their EOY rankings are extremely sparse in data too, only giving general market share percentages, so that it's impossible to build a complete picture even if both data sets are combined.

Canon can certainly assign more importance to Japan or whatever market they prefer. That says absolutely nothing about how their products are selling in other regions of the world. In East Asia, for example, there are wild differences from country to country - China is crazy about 35mm DSLRs, in South Korea Sony is king, in Thailand Fujifilm have the #1 spot, whereas Vietnam reflects the Japanese market somewhat. Base any far-reaching conclusions out of any of these countries and you'll get a completely unrealistic picture of worldwide sales.

When it comes to accurate numbers, it's CIPA or bust. One can certainly use other sources to complement this, but CIPA reports still constitute the only authoritative sales information available to non-insiders.

*Just look at Olympus - they were #1 in Japan for a couple of years with their PEN series, but could only gain a foothold in Europe and the US with the OM-D's... which, E-M10 excepted, sell in much lower volumes in Japan :ROFLMAO: Add DSLRs and different formats into the mix, and things get complicated very quickly.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Also, no one else reports for free this kind of data in any other region, so what are we supposed to do, ignore BCN all together as a data point?

I know this is harsh, but honestly, if you are running a website where your goal is to cover "Canon News" as accurately and thoroughly as possible, it's not really a valid excuse that you can't get needed statistical information without paying for it. If you haven't factored in the cost of the resources and information you need to be credible, perhaps your business model is flawed.

A better statement would be: This information is released to the public and accurately reports what it claims to report. We think it is worth covering, even though it is incomplete information, but we caution readers not to attempt to extrapolate this data to other markets.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
The 60 and over crowd has the money and spends it on DSLRs. The 35 and under crowd uses cell phones until they have a kid, then they buy a mirrorless camera to preserve every moment of their little precious one's life on Facebook. Most will soon tire of the camera and go back to using a cell phone. Canon can be excused for catering to the crowd that is most loyal and has the most money.
And most serious young photographers prefer film anyway.

Upvote 0