Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Imaging Resource sat down with Canon executives to discuss the future of the EOS R system and RF lenses. There is a lot of great hints in the interview about what we can expect from Canon in the future for the system.
A few points worth noting from our perspective.
The EOS R and RF mount system have been designed to be around for the next 30 years, just like the EOS and EF mount have been. Canon will continue to develop DSLRs, as sales have remained strong for those cameras.
We developed the EOS R System for the next 30 years, and started by introducing higher-end RF lenses. Yes, we are very serious about mirrorless. But please do not get the wrong impression, we will continue to enhance DSLR technology and products as well. We will work hard on both DSLR and mirrorless technologies and will wait to hear what customers say about each. Regarding the EOS R series, we are...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.

I would assume that an 8K capable image sensor will also benefit still photographers.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
Another sign Canon cannot figure out how to make a high dynamic range sensor that can overcrank. They’re going for resolution instead of tackling the really hard stuff. I could care less about 8k. I want 15 stops of dynamic range across the range and the ability to shoot 120fps with an image that doesn’t look like absolute mush.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I would be interested in why you assume that a sensor that can do 8K video take better stills? I'm curious.

Well, for one, it would be newer. And readout speeds would probably need to be high, right? It's not better because it can do 8K video, it can do 8K video because it is better. Probably will not make a huge difference if we're only considering image quality though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Another sign Canon cannot figure out how to make a high dynamic range sensor that can overcrank. They’re going for resolution instead of tackling the really hard stuff. I could care less about 8k. I want 15 stops of dynamic range across the range and the ability to shoot 120fps with an image that doesn’t look like absolute mush.

Canon are having a hard time getting better sensors to market. Sony are having a hard time designing good lenses. Don't know if I'll call that a draw or a win for Canon...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.

You're in luck! Samsung just released one this week. An 85 inch 8k tv for $15,000. Sounds reasonable, right? ;):p

Upvote 0
I would actually assume this was a hint at an R-mount Cinema EOS camera. I think it would make a ton of sense for Canon to move the Cinema EOS line to R Mounts. That way they can just sell one body with adapters for both EF and PL mounts and they could take advantage of all the new RF glass.
Allow the Cinema EOS camera to use the EF adapter with the drop in filters too.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

And what are you lacking sensor wise? DR? The difference between the brands is so small as to be silly. IQ? Canon again is right there. Color is noted by those in the know as definitively superior in Canon. DPAF trashes everyone else.
I doubt you or anyone else can see the difference except for color science in any photo by any sensor on the market today.
PS in DR Canon generally meets or exceeds all others as ISO climbs beyond 100.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon are having a hard time getting better sensors to market. Sony are having a hard time designing good lenses. Don't know if I'll call that a draw or a win for Canon...

Then there is an option.
EOS C700 FF or other video centric camera for those truly into real video.
The R cameras are for us mere mortals who shoot stills and some home videos of kids etc. We do not want to spend the bucks for all the hooey video stuff that will never be used.
It amazes me how many complaints on this matter when canon has way superior products designed to do real video that will use all your EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Call me cynical, but I do wonder if the 8k might be more of a box ticking exercise to keep the spec sheet warriors happy (well, for anything below the Cinema cameras anyway). there is a reason canon are discussing this in public - if this was a genuinely important feature, Canon would be keeping it well under wraps until ready for release.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
And what are you lacking sensor wise? DR? The difference between the brands is so small as to be silly. IQ? Canon again is right there. Color is noted by those in the know as definitively superior in Canon. DPAF trashes everyone else.
I doubt you or anyone else can see the difference except for color science in any photo by any sensor on the market today.

I'm with you on that. The color doesn't matter much to me, DR has been pretty amazing, as has been high ISO shooting. Just simply amazing to me with my MIV. The only thing that hasn't been amazing is some odd banding in certain shooting conditions.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

No matter what Canon announces, the whining about their (excellent) sensors will never stop.
And nobody complains about the poor Sony colors....
Spec -sheets seem to be all that matters.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Someone else should double check my math, but couldn't you have an ~39.3 megapixel sensor that shot 8k with zero crop - just a change in aspect ratio? I for one would be very happy with a close to 40 megapixel sensor. I love 30 and I'm not sure I need (or want) 50+.

And for those who don't understand 8k - it's not that everyone needs the video to display that large, we don't need screens with that resolution. 8k allows panning and cropping options in post. A lot of what you are seeing on TV and in theater appears like the camera is panning, when it's actually fixed and cropped to simulate camera motion.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Well, for one, it would be newer. And readout speeds would probably need to be high, right? It's not better because it can do 8K video, it can do 8K video because it is better. Probably will not make a huge difference if we're only considering image quality though.

8K in 3:4 ratio is 45MP. CFast cards writing speeds are, AFAIK, just shy of 400MB/s. So lets assume Canon can make a camera that shoots 45MP at 10 fps.

What would be the usage scenario? Sports photographs cropped 50% and printed to cover a wall?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AA

Jan 30, 2015
Hahahahaha... How about proper 4K first Canon?

Well, I added an A7R III to my Canon stable the moment it came out over a year ago. And I'm very impressed. The Sony's dynamic range is everything. I only bring the Sony on my vacations these days. My Canon gear has been staying home a lot. It's a real shame. I love my Canon glass.

Upvote 0