IBIS and 100mp coming to an EOS R camera? [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
i believe strobe can make many fast flash on row without needing stop recharge?
Aha, I now see the problem. You are correct. But, there is a US/British English language divide. It seems that Americans sometimes use strobe and flash interchangeably whereas I don’t. Often, however, US usage eventually spills over into British.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The real use for me with a 100 megapixel camera would be to get more reach out of existing lenses, or to be able to use smaller lenses, for birding and other wildlife photography. So, what it comes down to is, are two things: first, how good are heavily cropped photos? Secondly, when a 100 megapixel image is taken under ideal lighting and reduced down to 5 megapixels or so, how much better or worse is it compared to a 30-ish megapixel camera reduced down to 5-10 megapixels?

In reality, every single time, a 1DX with the ideal focal length lens (ie no cropping required) reduced down to print or screen resolutions produces better results than a camera with a lot more megapixels and a lens with a lot less focal length.

So, will the 100 megapixel camera change this dynamic at all?

If so, a 100 megapixel mirrorless could be a wonderful tool. For example, I can imagine that it could have a crop mode that would turn it into a 25 megapixel camera, using only the center 1/4 of the image circle at very high pixel density, yet filling up the EVF.

Only time will tell if what I'm wishing for is simply a pipe dream, or a possibility. But, these are exciting times!

Regarding IBIS: I still don't really care, but it would be wonderful just to shut up the people who go on and on about how the R doesn't have IBIS. :)

If EOS R 30 mpx shoot at maximum 5FPS, what's FPS for 100 mpx?

If I'm a wild life photographer, I would prefer animal eyeAF and a much faster burst FPS not 100 mpx camera that will slow to cull and edit.

IBIS: Canon is the only camera manufacture not having IBIS for FF mirrorless.
Panasonic, Nikon, Sony all have it for full frame camera.

Even if I'm not going to ever use it, I would want more bang for my money if Canon is going to charge the same price. Same goes for eyeAF, dual card slot, slog, etc.

I also never use video feature on my Canon 5D IV but I'm not going to "I still don't really care, but it would be wonderful just to shut up the people who go on " for those who need it.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If EOS R 30 mpx shoot at maximum 5FPS, what's FPS for 100 mpx?

If I'm a wild life photographer, I would prefer animal eyeAF and a much faster burst FPS not 100 mpx camera that will slow to cull and edit.

IBIS: Canon is the only camera manufacture not having IBIS for FF mirrorless.
Panasonic, Nikon, Sony all have it for full frame camera.

Even if I'm not going to ever use it, I would want more bang for my money if Canon is going to charge the same price. Same goes for eyeAF, dual card slot, slog, etc.

I also never use video feature on my Canon 5D IV but I'm not going to "I still don't really care, but it would be wonderful just to shut up the people who go on " for those who need it.
Surely you don't think that Canon is incapable of building a camera faster than 30mp / 5fps. That's simply what Canon is offering for a midrange $2,000 camera.

The complaint that that 100 megapixels will slow cull and edit (ie files are too large), that isn't unique to wildlife. I mean, 1,000 photos at 100 megapixels whether it's a wedding or a day in a safari is the same thing, right? People make the same argument about the 5DSR (or the A7R3). I don't think there's any question that some people like the additional reach of that higher density/more pixels offers.

Regarding eye AF for animals, this will be a unique feature to Sony, when it comes out next month. I'm sure it will be extensively evaluated when it it's out, and yes, this sounds like a great feature, especially for cat photos, or for bird portraits. On the other hand, for A9/A7, I think it will be much less useful for bird in flight, because frankly, these cameras suck for bird in flight photos. The autofocus is just a pitiful compared to similarly priced DSLRs, and especially with lenses and extenders that have smaller apertures, the keeper rate is just miserable.

I mean, if most of my photos are not in focus at all, I'm not going to hold my breath that the eye AF will be meaningful :)

IBIS: it's coming, for Canon, right? At the moment, you either buy a camera with IBIS, or you buy a camera with DPAF. You can't get both, but soon you'll be able to.

Upvote 0
Surely you don't think that Canon is incapable of building a camera faster than 30mp / 5fps. That's simply what Canon is offering for a midrange $2,000 camera.

The complaint that that 100 megapixels will slow cull and edit (ie files are too large), that isn't unique to wildlife. I mean, 1,000 photos at 100 megapixels whether it's a wedding or a day in a safari is the same thing, right? People make the same argument about the 5DSR (or the A7R3). I don't think there's any question that some people like the additional reach of that higher density/more pixels offers.

Regarding eye AF for animals, this will be a unique feature to Sony, when it comes out next month. I'm sure it will be extensively evaluated when it it's out, and yes, this sounds like a great feature, especially for cat photos, or for bird portraits. On the other hand, for A9/A7, I think it will be much less useful for bird in flight, because frankly, these cameras suck for bird in flight photos. The autofocus is just a pitiful compared to similarly priced DSLRs, and especially with lenses and extenders that have smaller apertures, the keeper rate is just miserable.

I mean, if most of my photos are not in focus at all, I'm not going to hold my breath that the eye AF will be meaningful :)

IBIS: it's coming, for Canon, right? At the moment, you either buy a camera with IBIS, or you buy a camera with DPAF. You can't get both, but soon you'll be able to.

Surely you don't think that Canon is incapable of building a camera faster than 30mp
They may get it faster than 5 FPS but I wouldn't expect a significant increase at 100 mpx.

Canon is offering for a midrange $2,000 camera.
Canon EOS R has MSRP of $2300 not $2000. It's a disappointment you called EOS R a midrange when Sony A7III is their "entry" mirrorless with dual card slot, joystick, uncropped 4K, better eyeAF, and IBIS albeit worst EVF and ergonomic.

The complaint that that 100 megapixels will slow cull and edit (ie files are too large), that isn't unique to wildlife. I mean, 1,000 photos at 100 megapixels whether it's a wedding or a day in a safari is the same thing, right?

You brought it up wild life where 100 mpx is beneficial. As a wedding and portrait photographer, I wouldn't consider any camera more than 30 mpx Canon 5D IV and I print large canvas for my clients.

1000 photos is on the low end for 8 hours wedding with one photographer. Multiple shooters, dual camera, longer day and more elabroate wedding will mean A LOT more photo than 1000 photo.

There are a lot of application for animal eyeAF. I don't think it will works great with bird in flight but not all wildlife shooters shoot bird in flight. It will works better in some circumstances than others but at least they have it and Sony is trying. I don't shoot animal but I can appreciate Sony providing those features to those who do.

Having tried EOS R extensively for a month, Canon eyeAF still way behind compared to A7III, A7RIII and A9 I tested.

IBIS: it's coming, for Canon, right?
Yes it's coming, the big question is WHEN? We had rumors Canon FF mirrorless coming in 2016. ;)

When we finally got FF mirrorless, it's a disappointment for pro in many ways.

DPAF doesn't matter to me as a still only photographer, but I'm sure it's beneficial to hybrid shooter or videographer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I typically use “strobe” for studio lights, even if they have a long cycle time, and “flash” for speedlights.
Those are the conventional meanings and B&H use those definitions for their sales, and that is what I am used to, which is why I queried the use of “strobes” for bird photography.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
They may get it faster than 5 FPS but I wouldn't expect a significant increase at 100 mpx.
You made it sound like Canon can only make a 30 megapixel 5fps camera. Obviously, this is not so. The EOS R is Canon's first MILC, not the pinnacle of Canon's mirrorless technology, never to be superceded. No, Canon's first 100 megapixel camera isn't going to be 16fps camera. You can't have it all.

You brought it up wild life where 100 mpx is beneficial. As a wedding and portrait photographer, I wouldn't consider any camera more than 30 mpx Canon 5D IV and I print large canvas for my clients.

1000 photos is on the low end for 8 hours wedding with one photographer. Multiple shooters, dual camera, longer day and more elabroate wedding will mean A LOT more photo than 1000 photo.
So, 3,000 photos. What does it matter? Are you saying you don't want a 100 megapixel camera, or that you never want a Canon 100 megapixel camera, or that you don't want a Canon camera? There are plenty of people who say the same thing about a 50 megapixel or 43 megapixel camera. Solution: don't buy one of those. There are plenty of choices.

There are a lot of application for animal eyeAF. I don't think it will works great with bird in flight but not all wildlife shooters shoot bird in flight. It will works better in some circumstances than others but at least they have it and Sony is trying. I don't shoot animal but I can appreciate Sony providing those features to those who do.

I agree. But do you think, nobody else will ever have animal eye AF?

Having tried EOS R extensively for a month, Canon eyeAF still way behind compared to A7III, A7RIII and A9 I tested.

Having tried the A7R3 extensively for a few months, I prefer the Canon implementation because it doesn't require pushing another button. Sony must agree, because they're changing their Eye AF so that you also don't have to push an extra button. Sony is making Canon do some new things and vice versa. It's a win-win for photographers. I'm happy when camera vendors take great ideas from each other and implement it in their systems.

Yes it's coming, the big question is WHEN? We had rumors Canon FF mirrorless coming in 2016. ;)

DPAF doesn't matter to me as a still only photographer, but I'm sure it's beneficial to hybrid shooter or videographer.

So, please be happy with your Sony. I'm truly happy for every Sony owner that feels that they have their ideal camera. I do not try to convert them to DSLR or Canon. Please be considerate enough to understand that there are people who have different priorities, viewpoints and preferences than you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, please be happy with your Sony. I'm truly happy for every Sony owner that feels that they have their ideal camera. I do not try to convert them to DSLR or Canon. Please be considerate enough to understand that there are people who have different priorities, viewpoints and preferences than you.

I don't own a Sony.

Regarding IBIS: I still don't really care, but it would be wonderful just to shut up the people who go on and on about how the R doesn't have IBIS

Yes that's very considerate of you.

Upvote 0
I think he meant it would be wonderful for canon to introduce it so we could stop reading complaints about them not.

I know what he meant. I completely agree with what he recently said, "that there are people who have different priorities, viewpoints and preferences". Photographers have have different needs/want. If they need IBIS, so be it.

Also, once Canon photographer have IBIS, there will be something else to complain about.

With 4 major company in FF mirrorless, there are going to be alot of features people wish Canon have and will complain about.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I know what he meant. I completely agree with what he recently said, "that there are people who have different priorities, viewpoints and preferences". Photographers have have different needs/want. If they need IBIS, so be it.

Also, once Canon photographer have IBIS, there will be something else to complain about.

With 4 major company in FF mirrorless, there are going to be alot of features people wish Canon have and will complain about.
There's nothing wrong with a Canon owner wanting a feature that Sony or Nikon implements, or vice versa. On the other hand, I think it's unreasonable to expect Canon or another manufacturer to have every desirable feature. Nobody expects that from a car or a laptop.

There are certain things that Canon just does better, like tethering and DPAF. There are certain things that Canon does worse like subject lock/tracking and IBIS. The list is really long, and it's incumbent upon a prospective buyer of a $2,000 body / $5,000-$15,000+ system to choose wisely and with a holistic, long term view, rather than just that IBIS or DPAF or DR wins it all.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Canon EOS R has MSRP of $2300 not $2000. It's a disappointment you called EOS R a midrange when Sony A7III is their "entry" mirrorless with dual card slot, joystick, uncropped 4K, better eyeAF, and IBIS albeit worst EVF and ergonomic.

Toys/Pram...go figure
If you cannot see into the EVF very well, and you cannot hold the thing, then whats the point?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Toys/Pram...go figure
If you cannot see into the EVF very well, and you cannot hold the thing, then whats the point?

Everyone have different priority. The Sony A7III isn't for me either but it is a much better camera then my Canon 6D when I first started doing paid work and it's a better camera for some people too. People don't seem to have problem with the EVF and can deal with ergonomic with ergonomic by adding L bracket/battery. They were sold out in many places is an indication some people don't mind it, but I do.

People can say the same about EOS R and its short comings. Some people want a hassle free dual card slot for backup, 4K, etc.

Honestly both Sony & Canon FF mirrorless are full of compromises.

I'm considering Panasonic S1: Highest resolution EVF, ergonomic and weather-sealed, touch screen menu, dual IS, modern sensor, dual card slot, eyeAF, high resolution mode. Let's see if it can deliver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with a Canon owner wanting a feature that Sony or Nikon implements, or vice versa. On the other hand, I think it's unreasonable to expect Canon or another manufacturer to have every desirable feature. Nobody expects that from a car or a laptop.

There are certain things that Canon just does better, like tethering and DPAF. There are certain things that Canon does worse like subject lock/tracking and IBIS. The list is really long, and it's incumbent upon a prospective buyer of a $2,000 body / $5,000-$15,000+ system to choose wisely and with a holistic, long term view, rather than just that IBIS or DPAF or DR wins it all.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect manufactures to have the most desirable features in their camera.

IBIS: Nikon, Panasonic, Sony have it except for Canon.
4K uncropped: Sony, Nikon and maybe Panasonic. Canon nope.
EyeAF: All have it.
Ergonomic: Panasonic, Canon and Nikon have great ergonomic except for Sony.
EVF: Sony has the poorest EVF.

Things like articulating screen on EOS R is what some Sony and Panasonic users are asking as well.

I expect alot of desirable features for a laptop if I'm paying a lot of money for.
Latest processor, GPU, infinity screen with close to 100% Adobe RGB, USB C, 1TB NVME storage, 32GB of ram, SD card reader

Laptop get refresh yearly and can be upgrade. You can't upgrade a camera internals. It's expensive equipments that you are somewhat married to an ecosystem of lens and light kit.

I have been looking hollistically FF mirrorless in general especially now I want to upgrade my DSLR. DPAF and tethering isn't on my list of priority. I'm waiting to see how Panasonic will do.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Sorry the correct term should be weather-sealed. I'm just looking to be able to shoot in most rugged condition: rain, snow, cold, etc.

Gotcha. I often see that term, and my profession kicks in. I’m responsible for the development of hardware we have to qualify to work in some of the most demanding environments. Wide temperatures cycles, salt fog, condensing humidity, volcanic ash, sand and dust, and ambient temperatures higher than many electronic components are made for.

I expect any of these cameras will satisfy your weather needs.

Upvote 0