Jared Polin rates Canon as best 70-200

IMO the only way Canon could improve it is to paint it black. Am I the only Canon shooter who hates white lenses?

For me it is a love-hate-relationship: I do not like to run around like a "colored dog" which is the case with white lenses. On the other hand they really stay substantially cooler under a sunny sky.

Upvote 0
I do find he (Jared) makes an interesting point about Nikon (and Tamron and Sigma) having the zoom and focus rings in a less convenient orientation than Canon. They all have focus ring near camera body and zoom ring near end of lens. Canon has zoom ring near camera body and focus ring near end. I think most of us use the lens in autofocus most of the time and use the zoom ring far, far more than the manual focus ring. Therefore having the zoom ring closer (as only Canon does) makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0
[...] Therefore having the zoom ring closer (as only Canon does) makes a lot of sense.

I am always confused to have the zoom ring close to the cam body because I want to stabilize my 70-200 4 and 400 5.6 close to the front of the lens. Shake of 1mm at a distance of 200mm makes only a quarter of the angular movement than 1mm at a distance of 50mm between both hands resulting in 4x better sharpness (maybe a factor 2 in reality due to other effects).

Upvote 0