Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

Jun 25, 2012
Canada
If its just metal damaged, and no glass or expensive IS or AF motor, the lens can be fixed reasonably. To replace the mount and metal chassis on the camera, it must be totally stripped and then re-assembled, sensor aligned, the whole calibration thing, and, of course, some parts will have to be replaced. Labor is the killer in both cases. Canon designs their cameras and lenses to be relatively easy to repair, Sony lenses are a nightmare labor wise, and their parts are crazy high as well.

I hope some insurance covers it.

I have a third party warranty that’s covering the camera repair.

I’m paying out of pocket for the lens.

These are the parts they’re replacing:

Lens:
SLEEVE ASS'Y, FIXED/ PCB ASS'Y, MAIN/ RING, MOUNT (RUBBER)/ MOUNT, LENS/ SCREW, CROSS-RECESS, PH X4

Camera:
MIRROR BOX ASS'Y, W/AF SENSOR/ PENTAPRISM ASS'Y/ EYEPIECE ASS'Y/ COVER ASS'Y, TOP/ COVER ASS'Y, EYEPIECE/ FOCUS SCREEN/ WINDOW, OL FRAME, OLC/ TAPES

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The camera should be like new. Canon replaces anything that's damaged, certainly the mirror box and related parts. They did not mention the lens mount, it might be part of one of the other assemblies.

The pcb assy in the lens is the small one mounted to the sleeve at the rear, it gets damaged when the rear is hosed. No serious high end parts needed for it. The lens will be in great condition as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
The camera should be like new. Canon replaces anything that's damaged, certainly the mirror box and related parts. They did not mention the lens mount, it might be part of one of the other assemblies.

The pcb assy in the lens is the small one mounted to the sleeve at the rear, it gets damaged when the rear is hosed. No serious high end parts needed for it. The lens will be in great condition as well.

Thanks again for the response and your thoughts.

I’ll be very pleased if everything comes back in great condition. I assume that lens mount is named something differently than what we’d expect. There’s no way they are not replacing it. It was bend and looked like it couldn’t be salvaged.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
Would the lens mount be part of the mirror box assembly, seems it would be sensible to supply it as a pre-calibrated unit?

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Hi Mt Spokane.
Would the lens mount be part of the mirror box assembly, seems it would be sensible to supply it as a pre-calibrated unit?

Cheers, Graham.

That’s a good point. I have never thought about it from that angle, but it makes sense. Have a new unit already factory calibrated and then just bolt it in essentially.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I received the 100-400 back today. As far as I can tell, it’s as good as new. Focusing is still spot on, and there’s no signs of damage anywhere. Canon Canada seems to have done a good job. I called their repair department and told them I was pleased; I figure they probably don’t get praise or positive feedback often.

I’m still waiting on my camera. When I called in the phone rep told me they’ve had to order parts in and that I can keep my loaner camera for the time being.

So...the waiting continues on that front!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have done similar things, dropped and broken the lenses in half, twice. Once was a 1VHS and 16-36 f2.8 dropped at an airport onto the concrete terminal floor, the other was a 1DX MkII and 11-24 that fell off a tripod onto a wooden boat dock. All were repaired very reasonably (fixed price repairs of under $300 each), quickly and everything worked as new afterwards, which was nice because all four pieces of gear were very young when the accidents happened!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I have done similar things, dropped and broken the lenses in half, twice. Once was a 1VHS and 16-36 f2.8 dropped at an airport onto the concrete terminal floor, the other was a 1DX MkII and 11-24 that fell off a tripod onto a wooden boat dock. All were repaired very reasonably (fixed price repairs of under $300 each), quickly and everything worked as new afterwards, which was nice because all four pieces of gear were very young when the accidents happened!

Glad to hear that Canon was able to fix your gear up. It's such a disappointment when one's expensive gear hits the ground. You can practically see it happen in slow motion, or you later relive the event in your mind over and over again. Thankfully, though, all this stuff can be fixed. You got off lucky in that that the repairs to your 1DX MkII and 11-24 were under the fixed rate. Unfortunately, in my case the camera repair came to $1300 ($975 US) and the lens to $500 CAD. That said, I have a third-party warranty that is going to cover the repair to the camera.

I am lucky I have the warranty. I remember thinking when I bought it that I was wasting my money. I went through with the purchase just because the 1DX MK II was so damned expensive (Canon had just out all their prices up). Anyways, the warranty has paid for itself and then some. I would have claimed on insurance had I not had this warranty, but I still would have had to pay the deductible and my rates would no doubt have gone up.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I received the 100-400 back today. As far as I can tell, it’s as good as new. Focusing is still spot on, and there’s no signs of damage anywhere. Canon Canada seems to have done a good job. I called their repair department and told them I was pleased
Great to hear that at least this one is back in shape.
Also great that you gave them a direct positive feedback. I guess they enjoyed that. (y)

Now let's hope they can do this to the body, too.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Great to hear that at least this one is back in shape.
Also great that you gave them a direct positive feedback. I guess they enjoyed that. (y)

Now let's hope they can do this to the body, too.

Thanks. It's a toss up between the 100-400 and the 300mm f/2.8II for my favourite lens. The 100-400 is so versatile, and it's a fun lens to go out and use. I can't tell you how bummed I was that this happened to it. I'm very much relieved that everything seems to be performing as it should! :)

Indeed! I still haven't heard anything more on the camera-front. I have a loaner so I am in good shape while I wait for CPS to complete the repair.

Upvote 0
I dropped my 1DX Mark II and 100-400 II onto a solid sandstone rock ledge from about 5 feet up and had a fraction of the damage you've sustained. The clunkity clack was one of the less pleasant sounds I've heard. Amazing that all that damage happened while in a bag after what sounds like a modest drop. Either mine landed just right or your's landed totally wrong.
Reminds me I meant to get that gear checked out before spring. There is a little tightness in the lens mount on the 1DX2 with a couple weathered sealed lenses. I'm afraid the mount might be a little out of square. I haven't seen any change in the optics or performance of the body since the fall but I guess I should have Canon take a look. Sounds like it'll be a bigger deal to fix than I imagined. I figured they could just replace the mount.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I dropped my 1DX Mark II and 100-400 II onto a solid sandstone rock ledge from about 5 feet up and had a fraction of the damage you've sustained. The clunkity clack was one of the less pleasant sounds I've heard. Amazing that all that damage happened while in a bag after what sounds like a modest drop. Either mine landed just right or your's landed totally wrong.
Reminds me I meant to get that gear checked out before spring. There is a little tightness in the lens mount on the 1DX2 with a couple weathered sealed lenses. I'm afraid the mount might be a little out of square. I haven't seen any change in the optics or performance of the body since the fall but I guess I should have Canon take a look. Sounds like it'll be a bigger deal to fix than I imagined. I figured they could just replace the mount.

Aren't I the lucky one?

Still, sorry to hear your equipment took a tumble. Even if there's no apparent damage, it's still not fun watching it happen!

I'd still get your equipment looked at. The camera-body mount has very high tolerances, and being shifted even slightly can cause focusing problems. Chances are, since nothing broke on your camera or lens, the techs will do an inspection and make adjustments if necessary. I doubt yours will cost much at all. :)

Upvote 0
Sorry I guess I could have sounded more sympathetic.

Yes, I should have had someone take a look at it when I got home. It was a lot of stress on the mount even if nothing actually broke. It was a pretty sickening few minutes. I had just started out on an extended trip so it would have been a major loss for those two to go down. A heard of bighorn came racing up the slope towards me just as I was removing the camera from a new quick release Arca clamp. No excuse for dropping the gear but it happened very quickly I expected to get run over by a wild eyed bighorn any second. I think the sound of the camera hitting the sandstone turned them so there is always a silver lining.

Sounds like Canon is going to get you squared away. I'm sure you'll be good as new. As others said, at least you weren't injured or worse. Things can go sideways pretty quickly in the wintertime.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
It has happened to me.
In India-in 2017- in a national park, I left the bag on a chair and somehow it fell. The 400 DO MK II snapped off from the camera body (1Dx MK II) taking the locking rings out from the camera. I was glad I had my backup 1Dx and the 100-400 MK II for my rescue!
Sent it to Canon on return to USA. They replaced the AF module/Mirror box assembly and some other parts on the camera and also fixed the lens.
IIRC- total cost was about $ 1200 for both.
Service was prompt and I never had any issues with the camera or the lens as of today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Sorry I guess I could have sounded more sympathetic.

Yes, I should have had someone take a look at it when I got home. It was a lot of stress on the mount even if nothing actually broke. It was a pretty sickening few minutes. I had just started out on an extended trip so it would have been a major loss for those two to go down. A heard of bighorn came racing up the slope towards me just as I was removing the camera from a new quick release Arca clamp. No excuse for dropping the gear but it happened very quickly I expected to get run over by a wild eyed bighorn any second. I think the sound of the camera hitting the sandstone turned them so there is always a silver lining.

Sounds like Canon is going to get you squared away. I'm sure you'll be good as new. As others said, at least you weren't injured or worse. Things can go sideways pretty quickly in the wintertime.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as snarky. I was just making a joke. :)

That's awful. Again, sorry to hear that this happened; but, like you said, at least you weren't trampled!

I have heard quite a few stories of people dropping their cameras shortly after getting a quick release clamp. While I'm not suggesting you had this problem, I think a lot of people tend to either not adjust them so the clamp is sufficiently tight, or people just forget that the quick release releases really quickly!

Anyways, if you haven't noticed any ill effects from the equipment falling, chances are everything is okay! Cheers.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
It has happened to me.
In India-in 2017- in a national park, I left the bag on a chair and somehow it fell. The 400 DO MK II snapped off from the camera body (1Dx MK II) taking the locking rings out from the camera. I was glad I had my backup 1Dx and the 100-400 MK II for my rescue!
Sent it to Canon on return to USA. They replaced the AF module/Mirror box assembly and some other parts on the camera and also fixed the lens.
IIRC- total cost was about $ 1200 for both.
Service was prompt and I never had any issues with the camera or the lens as of today.

That's brutal. The damage done sounds very similar to my situation; Canon has said they're replacing the AF module and mirror box assembly too. The cost is approx. the same as well -- $1300 CAD.

Thankfully the damage done to my lens wasn't as severe, coming in around $500 CAD. Although, the lower repair cost could be because the lens isn't quite the same caliber as your 400 DO II, and I imagine parts are cheaper for it. I need to send my 300mm f/2.8II in for a mount replacement because it's starting to show brass, so I'll see how much they charge on that repair as a comparison.

Glad you had a back up on your trip! It's also terrific to hear that Canon fixed everything and you haven't missed a beat. That gives me some confidence!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... The 100-400 is so versatile, and it's a fun lens to go out and use. I can't tell you how bummed I was that this happened to it.
That's the reason why I finally bit the bullet last year and got a gear insurance that includes accidental damage as well as all the other stuff.
Of course you'll only know how good an insurance is when it comes to a loss. :unsure:

Upvote 0
I went out Sunday for my first photo excursion of 2019. My buddy and I arrived at Vermillion Lakes in Banff, AB just before sunrise in the hopes of catching some glorious morning light.

The sunrise was amazing. I was predominately using my 5DsR and 24-70, and I captured two images that I'm quite happy with.

Unfortunately, shortly afterwards, while walking around with my Manfrotto Bumblee 230 backpack on, I slipped backwards and landed on my butt. Only the bottom portion the backpack hit the ground. When I opened my back pack my 1D X Mark II and EF 100-400 II had separated.

One of the len's metal flanges had broken off, and the other was bent. The camera-body mount protruded slightly from the body, and appears to also have broken some metal. The top LCD screen also popped off the camera.

I've sent both the lens and the camera body off to CPS Canon Canada. I"m expecting an expensive repair. I'm also worried that the lens and camera will never focus accurately, or as well as they did, again. I never had to do micro adjustments with this combination before. :(

I've asked CPS to fix the mount and check for other internal damage on the 1DX2. With regard to the lens, I've asked them to fix the mount, check the IS unit, and to check for element decentering as well as focus accuracy and consistency.

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I'm really upset about it.

Has anyone else had their lens mount or body mount repaired or replaced before? If so, what was your experience after the repair?

I'll post some pictures of the damage, as well as the two keeper images I managed to capture from the otherwise terrible day.
I'm here to offer you comfort please don't be upset its an accident this could happen to any of us. Get your camera repaired and get back out there. All the best

Upvote 0