Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
If the roadmap based on leaks goes like:

EOS R --> EOS RP (cheaper model) --> EOR Rs (high resolution model) --> EOS Rx (1dxII equivalent) --> EOS Rd (5D series equivalent)

That schedule makes a reasonable amount of sense if they step lively. RP in spring of 2019 (summer vacation sales), Rs in the fall (in time for Christmas), then Rx the following spring (2020) in time for the Tokyo Olympics, then Rd in the fall of 2020 to catch the Christmas 2020 sales opportunity plus the halo of the success from the Olympics.

Since the Rs sounds like what I want for my next upgrade, that would be just enough time to finish saving for it.

Have they ever done consecutive 6 month drops before?

Upvote 0
If you have been paying attention, the lower than current R body to come next has been widely known as to be the next release. Y'all are acting like the next R body will have a T2i sensor. I'm not sure but getting on a forum and spewing how Canon is Doomed (what's the acronym again?) while they continue to $$$$$ year after year seems to be a mental masturbation conundrum for you.

When the EOS R was release, it's rumored the next FF mirrorless would be a pro model after a lot of people disappointed in the EOS R.

It wasn't until the last couple months we got more info that a lower entry would come. We don't know what Canon sensor they will have but my guess is Canon 6D II sensor. It isn't bad, but it's trailing behind Sony, Nikon and most likely Panasonic (rumored to have the same 24 & 47 mpx sensor).

Canon won't be doom. It isn't doom after 5D IV, 6D II, EOS R release. It won't be doom anytime soon.

I think some of us are disappointed waiting for Canon to join FF mirrorless. They were rumored to release a FF in 2015/2016. EOS R is disappointing for some who were expecting more like dual card slot, faster FPS, better 4K, better eyeAF. The EOS RP isn't reassuring to some of us who have hope for EOS R Pro and Canon isn't providing it to us even after all this time. Nikon is coming out with Z9 later this year with pro features and the compeitions are heating up.

I guess I'll wait until EOS RP along with Panasonic S1 and A7SIII and see what's best for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The R is very well thought out, not every camera is designed exactly for you.

It's good that it has better ergonomic and EVF than Sony. The aperture control adapter along with close shutter is very nice.

I'm not a fan of touch bar. I set it as ISO 100 to my max ISO. I wish they have a couple extra custom button like Sony and joystick like my 5D IV.

Upvote 0
I heard that the 6d mki is better than the ii?

Based on dynamic range chart, yes it is. EOS R modified 5D IV sensor has slightly worst performance compared to 5D IV. I expect the same if they used a tweak 6D II sensor for FF mirrorless. I'm not sure if banding will be an issue for shadow recovery either.

Upvote 0
Bought the 1DX II for video (where it is fine, but only if you dont plan to shoot a lot, since the data rate is insane).
Bought the 5d IV for photography, (where it is fine, unless you need more resolution or speed)

Right now we do a lot of video production where we need to shoot a lot of footage in a studio. Right now we stick to full-hd, but (as you probably now) the quality of the 1d and 5d in fullhd is pretty bad (when compared 1:1 to Lumix gh4 or gh5 or sony a7 whatever in full-hd mode). We would love to change to 4k, but that would leave us with about 1,5tb of data per day (so about 5tb if you consider 2 workstations and one backup). This is not okay for us.
So this leaves me this option, if I want to stick to canon:
I buy 2 Canon C200 for 20.000$ in total and keeep my 1dx II and 5d iv (and 5d iii backup) (4.000 and 2000$).
Or I sell my 3 cameras for 7.000$, spend 6.000$ on 2 sony a7r III and got 2 photo cameras that are way more capabable and also way better on the video front (since I dont realy need the 60fps4k of the 1dx II).

But please, feel free to explain to me, what exactly canon offers, If you need to produce 4k footage. Maybe I am missing an option. Or maybe, canon just totaly neglected this market (and we need at least a little bit of depth of field, so camcorders are not an option). At least I cant see anything that is remotely affordable to run 4k productions. I would even be fine with full-hd, if the compression wasnt THAT bad on the 5d iv and 1dx ii...

I read these words as if your stated needs are either superficial or coming from GAS rather than real business needs. If you are actually running a professional photo/video business, you should know the moment you start re-thinking of new tools and re-investing in equipment, you lose your income. A real business minded pro gets the job done with whatever tool he/she has rather than complaining on forums. Switching to a different brand/system because of record data rate is laughable at best. Get a few more dirt cheap HDDs or SSDs and get over it. If your customers are not satisfied with the quality of your work, perhaps tools play a minor role in that. If you yourself are not satisfied with the quality of your work, there are other avenues to investigate and re-investing in tools may not be the only or the best decision.
Anyway, back to the question of what cannon offers for 4K production:
For 4K production, C200 up. It meets the production needs without any gimmicks. And for FHD, as you mentioned you are comfortable with, again C100 gets the job done without any flaws. Moreover, both systems are scalable as the needs and business grow.
If these do not satisfy your needs (both quality and budget), better look elsewhere. wasting time on forums will not help.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
When the EOS R was release, it's rumored the next FF mirrorless would be a pro model after a lot of people disappointed in the EOS R.

It wasn't until the last couple months we got more info that a lower entry would come. We don't know what Canon sensor they will have but my guess is Canon 6D II sensor. It isn't bad, but it's trailing behind Sony, Nikon and most likely Panasonic (rumored to have the same 24 & 47 mpx sensor).

Canon won't be doom. It isn't doom after 5D IV, 6D II, EOS R release. It won't be doom anytime soon.

I think some of us are disappointed waiting for Canon to join FF mirrorless. They were rumored to release a FF in 2015/2016. EOS R is disappointing for some who were expecting more like dual card slot, faster FPS, better 4K, better eyeAF. The EOS RP isn't reassuring to some of us who have hope for EOS R Pro and Canon isn't providing it to us even after all this time. Nikon is coming out with Z9 later this year with pro features and the compeitions are heating up.

I guess I'll wait until EOS RP along with Panasonic S1 and A7SIII and see what's best for me.
iirc the thought that the next body would be pro was forum members conjecture and hopes...not CR information.

Upvote 0
iirc the thought that the next body would be pro was forum members conjecture and hopes...not CR information.

https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-ex...-ef-lenses-in-2019-and-a-pro-model-is-coming/

LensVid had a long interview at Photokina 2018 with Mike Burnhill from Canon Europe. https://lensvid.com/gear/canon-interview-eos-r-and-more-photokina-2018/

"Burnhill made it clear that a pro mirrorless camera will most likely include a dual card slot." This is back in Photokina.

https://www.canonrumors.com/two-canon-eos-r-series-bodies-coming-in-2019-cr2/
The second body will be a “professional” series camera coming later in 2019

We all assumed they released EOS R first and EOS R Pro later. This is CR2 dated back 10/2018.

Hopefully the EOS RP is the professional model. It would be an exciting time to be a photographer to have an option to choose Sony A7SIII, Canon EOS R Pro, Panasonic S1/R.

I have no problem with Canon releasing Pro camera first in Feb and entry later in mid-late 2019.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That schedule makes a reasonable amount of sense if they step lively. RP in spring of 2019 (summer vacation sales), Rs in the fall (in time for Christmas), then Rx the following spring (2020) in time for the Tokyo Olympics, then Rd in the fall of 2020 to catch the Christmas 2020 sales opportunity plus the halo of the success from the Olympics.

Since the Rs sounds like what I want for my next upgrade, that would be just enough time to finish saving for it.

Have they ever done consecutive 6 month drops before?

Makes sense for them sure, but for the customers who need something little more serious right now? Not really. The only choice is the dated 5D IV which is just to expensive for what it offers. I really like the video autofocus and lenses, but why don't they step up their body game?

It's really frustrating for me because I need a "jack of all trades" camera mainly for video that also has good enough stills, and there is no product matching that description right now...

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I read these words as if your stated needs are either superficial or coming from GAS rather than real business needs. If you are actually running a professional photo/video business, you should know the moment you start re-thinking of new tools and re-investing in equipment, you lose your income. A real business minded pro gets the job done with whatever tool he/she has rather than complaining on forums. Switching to a different brand/system because of record data rate is laughable at best. Get a few more dirt cheap HDDs or SSDs and get over it. If your customers are not satisfied with the quality of your work, perhaps tools play a minor role in that. If you yourself are not satisfied with the quality of your work, there are other avenues to investigate and re-investing in tools may not be the only or the best decision.
Anyway, back to the question of what cannon offers for 4K production:
For 4K production, C200 up. It meets the production needs without any gimmicks. And for FHD, as you mentioned you are comfortable with, again C100 gets the job done without any flaws. Moreover, both systems are scalable as the needs and business grow.
If these do not satisfy your needs (both quality and budget), better look elsewhere. wasting time on forums will not help.

Ok, first of all: why the hell would changing to new tools mean a loss in income??? Belive it or not, we can afford to by a second set of cameras and sell the old ones on a later date, once we established a working an reliable workflow.

Now to the "GAS" and your "a working pro gets the job done with whatever tool he has": okay, please tell me exactly how we can produce a better image in our studio with the 5d iv and 1dx ii without switching to 4k? I compared other "tools" 1:1 side by side with the 1dx ii in fullhd and guess what, the sony a7r iii and the sony gh5 both produced a MUCH better fullhd image at the same setup. Its just a disgusting compression on the canons fullhd image, that cant be removed with any smart professional skills you may offer. And its not that the client is realy unhappy, but its 2019 and I think more and more, that this image quality is not up to date and would raise an eyebrow, If we didnt improved it by 2020.
As I said, "a few more" HDDs wont handle that. Currently we film up to 4 days per week, 8 hours straight - if we would switch to 4k (the ONLY better setting the canons offer) we would result thanks to the idiotic MJPG Codec at over 6tb of files per day that we need to copy on a server, upload and distribute on different workstations. This is an insane amount of time and a total unecessary amount of money we would waste. I would pay 800$ per week just to get new harddrives.

The situation is this: I am a photographer but right now we happen to produce more videos. I do NOT want to buy 2 new ADDITIONAL cameras (actualy better 3, as we should have one backup). I just want a decent all around workhorse.
If Canon just put a usefull 4k in their flagship DSLRs, then everything would be fine.

I REALY doubt that my niche is very small or special: "Photographer that also make 4k videos and want a decent all in one tool". It wouldnt even matter if it was 6000$ like the 1dx II (which is a overprized and VERY specific tool), since one would need only 2, not 4 cameras. They could have just released ONE workhorse for EVERYTHING, by just implement a decent 4k mode in the 5d IV. That would have made A LOT of people happy. But they choose not to, and they did so again with the (clearly consumer focused) EOS R.

But you are right with one thing though, I am wasting my time here.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
If you are talking strictly mirrorless, Sony is quickly losing market share. https://www.videomaker.com/canon-and-nikon-are-taking-the-mirrorless-market-share-from-sony-in-japan

Wait, what?

I have a hard time believing that last spring Sony had 99.5 percent of the mirrorless market. Maybe if they really mean full frame mirrorless (should have been 100% of the market), in which case they quite naturally will lose market share given the introduction of competing products (unless those fail to secure any sales).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
https://www.canonrumors.com/two-canon-eos-r-series-bodies-coming-in-2019-cr2/
The second body will be a “professional” series camera coming later in 2019

We all assumed they released EOS R first and EOS R Pro later. This is CR2 dated back 10/2018.
"We’re told that two EOS R series bodies will be coming in 2019. One will be slotted below the Canon EOS R itself and will come first. The second body will be a “professional” series camera coming later in 2019. What “professional” means is unknown at this time."

Are you reading something different?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...But you are right with one thing though, I am wasting my time here.

Well, of course you are. This is a discussion forum. Threads like this are for entertainment purposes only. If you want to participate by venting about how Canon doesn't meet needs that you have, that's perfectly fine, but don't get upset when others disagree and make counter arguments. That's what a discussion forum is all about. No one is saying that your needs aren't legitimate for you. But, that doesn't mean others have to share your point of view.

Now, if you think Canon will take note of your points, as Neuro said, that's not going to happen by you venting on a forum. In this era of big data, Canon has a lot more efficient, effective and accurate ways to obtain feedback.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Wait, what?

I have a hard time believing that last spring Sony had 99.5 percent of the mirrorless market. Maybe if they really mean full frame mirrorless (should have been 100% of the market), in which case they quite naturally will lose market share given the introduction of competing products (unless those fail to secure any sales).
Bad reporting, clearly they meant FF mirrorless. As for the other 0.5%...Leica?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
"We’re told that two EOS R series bodies will be coming in 2019. One will be slotted below the Canon EOS R itself and will come first. The second body will be a “professional” series camera coming later in 2019. What “professional” means is unknown at this time."

Are you reading something different?
I think about the safe thing to say about a “professional “ canon camera is that it will have 2 card slots, but I wouldn’t bet on even that..... for all we know it might be a single slot plus wireless (of some form). Cellular backup could be a great feature for sports shooting, as you take the shot, it gets sent back to the news room fo editing/usage

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Makes sense for them sure, but for the customers who need something little more serious right now? Not really. The only choice is the dated 5D IV which is just to expensive for what it offers. I really like the video autofocus and lenses, but why don't they step up their body game?
It's really frustrating for me because I need a "jack of all trades" camera mainly for video that also has good enough stills, and there is no product matching that description right now...

So you 'NEED' something a little more serious right now. A jack of all trades camera, mainly for video, but also with 'good enough' stills,
Oh dear me..
You wont get far on here mate I would go while you can.

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
Bought the 1DX II for video (where it is fine, but only if you dont plan to shoot a lot, since the data rate is insane).
Bought the 5d IV for photography, (where it is fine, unless you need more resolution or speed)

Right now we do a lot of video production where we need to shoot a lot of footage in a studio. Right now we stick to full-hd, but (as you probably now) the quality of the 1d and 5d in fullhd is pretty bad (when compared 1:1 to Lumix gh4 or gh5 or sony a7 whatever in full-hd mode). We would love to change to 4k, but that would leave us with about 1,5tb of data per day (so about 5tb if you consider 2 workstations and one backup). This is not okay for us.
So this leaves me this option, if I want to stick to canon:
I buy 2 Canon C200 for 20.000$ in total and keeep my 1dx II and 5d iv (and 5d iii backup) (4.000 and 2000$).
Or I sell my 3 cameras for 7.000$, spend 6.000$ on 2 sony a7r III and got 2 photo cameras that are way more capabable and also way better on the video front (since I dont realy need the 60fps4k of the 1dx II).

But please, feel free to explain to me, what exactly canon offers, If you need to produce 4k footage. Maybe I am missing an option. Or maybe, canon just totaly neglected this market (and we need at least a little bit of depth of field, so camcorders are not an option). At least I cant see anything that is remotely affordable to run 4k productions. I would even be fine with full-hd, if the compression wasnt THAT bad on the 5d iv and 1dx ii...
You say you bought the 1DX II for video followed by the reasons it’s not ok for you.
People needing 4k FF video with an acceptable data rate shouldn’t buy a 6k$ sport/action DSLR recording Motion JPEG with a 1.3 crop at 800Mbps (or 500Mbps if you don’t need 60fps 4K). You could have bought 2 A7S II instead of one 1DX II.

I’m not arguing Canon is offering you what you want/need in your price range.
Just that the cameras Canon offers aren’t crap because they don’t have the specific functionality you want/need. EF lenses will do just fine on Sony cameras and there are other video options out there with EF mount, so just buy what you need.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I think about the safe thing to say about a “professional “ canon camera is that it will have 2 card slots, but I wouldn’t bet on even that..... for all we know it might be a single slot plus wireless (of some form). Cellular backup could be a great feature for sports shooting, as you take the shot, it gets sent back to the news room fo editing/usage
Not so great for wildlife in the field though, where cell towers may be nonexistent.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012

At least we are agreed that it makes sense for Canon. I hope this proves to be a correct analysis, as it works for me :).

Sadly, there are always going to be those customers whose needs are immediate; Canon will simply have to get them 'the next time around'.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What, pros can’t have a fashion sense? ;)

Yes, they can! aren't they good looking cameras? :)

s-l1600.jpg

Upvote 0