Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We don’t think the following information is related to the Canon EOS RP but could be information related to a third Canon EOS R camera body coming later in 2019.
New Canon EOS R body information?

The camera is in “final” development, but production has not started.
Dual card slots are present in the body, one being SD, the other being something else.
The touch bar is gone, replaced by a familiar joystick.

We don’t have any sort of specification list we can publish about the Canon EOS RP, but we don’t think this information fits the hints we have received about the coming mirrorless camera from Canon.

Continue reading...

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, dual card slots, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R and RF lenses, mainly due to RF 50mm F1.2L.

Canon should release a Sony a7riii equivalent body next, not an entry level body, to make Canon RF 50mm F1.2L and Canon RF 28-70 F2L meaningful. I used Sony a7rii before. Canon RF 50mm F1.2L, and potentially other large aperture prime lenses in the future, created attention for me to decide to switch to Canon R and RF lenses. But if Canon R body is not competeable with Sony a7riii, I can’t make a move.

Wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
This would make sense if it's referring to a high resolution EOS R camera. I anticipate the EOS R replacement for the 5DS will debut in Q4 of 2019. Meanwhile, the entry-level EOS RP (or whatever they call it) will hit the shelves shortly after CP+ in February. I'm almost certain the second card slot is going to be CF-Express. It's fully compatible with XQD which will serve as a stop-gap until CFX cards become more abundant in the market. And Canon will likely try to roll out a 1D X III prior to the 2020 games, which will almost certainly have CFX.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Dual card slots and joystick puts this a notch above the R, so maybe this is the 5 series equivalent. Grasping at vague hints here.

Yup...if this is the 5D4 replacement I'll be looking seriously at getting one. My 5D3 is still working, but I would like to upgrade and relegate it to the backup camera status.

C

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R, including RF 50mm F1.2 L.

Just wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.
Not "majority of Canon customers" but maybe majority of high end Canon customers. We lose sight on the bigger part of the camera market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Maybe time to switch to CFExpress already? Even if there are not many CFExpress card on the market, it could be made compatible with XQD ones while being ready for the future.
Canon favours CFast over XQD/CFexpress because it mainly belongs to the competition (Sony, Nikon) and it is good enough for the given use anyway, also supporting existing cards that were used in a 1DXII for instance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0