Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

The rumor posts and discussion forums here are starting to remind me of Blackberry/Crackberry forums around 2012. Canon is clearly not innovating fast enough relative to competitors, but it's still making plenty of money and has significant market share. Reusing the 5DIV and 6DII sensors makes perfect economic sense, but these are 2-3 year old sensors already. Maybe these are stopgap products, but maybe not. Remember, Canon has a 4 year product cycle, if not longer, and as we've seen with the 5D series, 7D, 6D, 80D, etc., it will defend that product cycle at all costs. That means the bodies it's putting out now will be sold for 3-4 more years, at which point their sensors will be nearing 8 years old, in some cases. These sensors are already outclassed by competitors at launch. 3 years from now, Canon will still be selling the RP, with 4k30fps, with who knows what other handicaps. That's pretty crazy. Who is willing to bet against Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. getting to 4k120 next year?

Nothing to do, of course, for those invested in Canon glass. And no need to panic. The pros will get their work done with the bodies they have, and the rest of us are just messing around.

Canon reminds me of Microsoft in the early years. They were late to the spreadsheet game but beat up the reigning king Lotus 123. They were late to the word processor game but the beat up the reigning king Word Perfect. There were a lot of operating systems out the but Windows now reigns supreme. Microsoft knows how to stay in the game and best their competitors; so does Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
The rumor posts and discussion forums here are starting to remind me of Blackberry/Crackberry forums around 2012. Canon is clearly not innovating fast enough relative to competitors, but it's still making plenty of money and has significant market share. Reusing the 5DIV and 6DII sensors makes perfect economic sense, but these are 2-3 year old sensors already. Maybe these are stopgap products, but maybe not. Remember, Canon has a 4 year product cycle, if not longer, and as we've seen with the 5D series, 7D, 6D, 80D, etc., it will defend that product cycle at all costs. That means the bodies it's putting out now will be sold for 3-4 more years, at which point their sensors will be nearing 8 years old, in some cases. These sensors are already outclassed by competitors at launch. 3 years from now, Canon will still be selling the RP, with 4k30fps, with who knows what other handicaps. That's pretty crazy. Who is willing to bet against Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, etc. getting to 4k120 next year?

Nothing to do, of course, for those invested in Canon glass. And no need to panic. The pros will get their work done with the bodies they have, and the rest of us are just messing around.

Nobodies sensors have improved much over the pastr two generations (at least) so the constant whining about re-using sensors is just ignorance talking. Yes, Sony's Exmor is slightly better than Canon 5D IV's. We know. And innovations? Maybe not "sexy" but Canon does things that directly improve the photo taking experience. Much better touch screen functionality, Touch screen AF point selection, Adapters that improve the functionality of existing lenses (how come nobody else thought of that?), Sensor dust screen (how come nobody else thought of that?).

If companies like Sony are so innovative, how come they can't make a camera that shoots 4K and doesn't overheat? How come the ergonomics are brutal? How come nobody else can match Canon's color science? Certainly these innovative companies should be able to innovate the BASICS???

Look, nobody minds when people tell the truth, but the bullsh!t is so deep in these forums it's almost as if half the folks here never actually used a camera and just repeat the same crap over and over. If you need IBIS and want to criticize Canon for not having it, just say so instead of repeating the same lack of innovation crap. If you need two card slots, either wait for the Canon pro model (which you know will have them) or just say I need two slots, can't wait, so switching brands. Fine, nobody cares if you want to switch if you just be honest and tell us why. Instead of making the usual bullcrap generalizations, just say I am not getting what I want, rather than making proclamations about Canon. Otherwise you just come across as an ignorant bullcrap artist.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Didn't the original 12MP 5D (mark 1) launch with an RRP of $1600?
From memory (and the price tag I paid), it was £1600 in the UK, and there is usually a 1:1 £ vs $ conversion for imports such as this.
But this was back in 2005 (??)

It was $3500 USD when introduced in 2005 or about $4620.68 in 2019 dollars, more or less.

Just before the MK II came out, the price briefly dropped to $1900 and then went back up to about $2500. I was wishing I had grabbed one, but bought a MK II instead, it was amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don't you remember when Canon was young
How the 5D set the world on fire?

Actually, it was the AE-1 that really boosted Canon. It was not a pro model, but sold in huge numbers (over 1 million), and locked in the Canon formula for success that they still use today. Produce cameras that are reliable, can be mass produced for a low cost, and flood the market with them. Nikon made better bodies, but they could not match the sales volumes or Canon's ability to have low prices and still make a high profit.

Canon still uses that formula, every penny spent to manufacture one has to be justified, they don't throw in frills unless they will payback in sales and profits.

Nikon got into trouble just a few years back, they were including questionable tech that was expensive to produce, cameras were difficult to assemble and repair, it cost them dearly because they could not match Canon's prices and still make a profit. I hope they have learned from that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_AE-1

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Nobodies sensors have improved much over the pastr two generations (at least) so the constant whining about re-using sensors is just ignorance talking. Yes, Sony's Exmor is slightly better than Canon 5D IV's.

For stills, Sony is ahead on one specific metric. ONE. This is what drives me nuts about the "canon sensor is old/behind" meme. Sony sensors are ahead on DR at base ISO. That's it. And they're not that far ahead of the 5D IV. Honestly, the 1ev difference in a formal test, vs. the 5D IV, amounts to fiddling with the NR slider in the real world.

I would rate Canon's color science ahead of Sony's. Should I go on Sony forums and constantly talk about how behind Sony is?

On video Sony is ahead on readout / processing speed as well, which leads to the FF 4k vs. crop 4k issue.

If companies like Sony are so innovative, how come they can't make a camera that shoots 4K and doesn't overheat? How come the ergonomics are brutal? How come nobody else can match Canon's color science?

For that matter, how come Sony can't make an A series body which can survive light rain? Apparently rubber gaskets are innovative technology and Sony is behind Canon cameras from 10 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
100 MP ?! Does Canon own stock in hard drive companies? 45 MP should be the sweet spot.

Maybe Canon will go into the storage market to compensate for vanishing camera sales?

With the 45 MP you are essentially right but: a 100 MPix sensor with a 25 MPix raw format using 4 subpixels in R-G-G-B might (1) give extraordinary color and DR/"noiselessness", (2) is close to the optimum resolution of most EF lenses and is (3) sufficient for 99 % of the existing presentation media.
Additionally a 100MPix sensor allows smaller focus fields if it is DPAF - I really like the small focus box provided by the M50 (except in darker environments where the PDAF needs a longer sensor line).
And in some situations I would really like 100MPix for a 1,5 x 2,25 m² print but ... how many prints can I place in my house ... so not essential for ME but maybe for others.

Upvote 0
I have EOSR for a while and I returned it to shop. I hoped the RP will be PRO body with new sensor comparable with A7RIII. Now I know the pro body will come in the end of 2019, so I will buy this EOS RP body (I had 6D and it was so good camera, very good high iso noise) and wait for EOS R PRO body. EOSR is good camera, but not for that price.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have been wondering for a couple years how much time crop DSLRs have left.... If you want small and low cost, you go for an M. If you like the quality and ergonomics, you go FF. The market is shrinking, so how much time does a rebel sized crop camera have left?
Considering the amount they sell and what the lens selection is between those two system, I say a good amount of time (y)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Who told you it had an all new sensor? No one, that’s who. A well established fact that it is the 5d4 sensor.
Well, it can be said that this staement comes from Canon itself. For example:

"Mr. Kiyota : The number of pixels itself is the same as EOS 5D Mark IV, but the sensor itself is newly developed. The content has changed a lot, such as adoption of a new dual pixel CMOS AF and arrangement of microlenses according to EOS R system. (Google Translated)"

Quote from: https://www.canonrumors.com/interview-talking-with-canon-about-the-eos-r-system-and-its-future/

As it is obvious that the R and 5DIV sensor share most properties, I think people agree that they are the same sensor for practical purposes, like you said. But Canon seemingly would like you think differently.

I can't blame the people who are annoyed by Canon saying such things, when there are a good hand full of people who would really appreciate an actual all new Canon sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm quite excited about all the Canon gear we'll see this year. This price tag in particular makes me curious about the rumored replacement for the 80D and 7D II.

I personally feel that the situation between the enthusiast APS-C and enthusiast Full Frame (Or, entry level FF if you will) is quite weird already. The reason to choose the 6DII over the 80D should of course be image quality, but in reality you gain some (FF advantages) and loose some (DR) and pay more.

Which is more important is not the question for me, it's mostly the concept that I find weird. Canon is all about compromises in favor of a rounded experience, or so you would think. And the 80D feels very rounded. But why the 6D II for example has GPS and no on chip ADC throws this tradeoff of features out of balance.

Curious to see how they'll handle that between an up market 80D and this downgraded R.

On another note, to those that annoy us all with the Canon is doomed comments: Canon is behind is really just behind in 3 metrics, dynamic range (slightly), IBIS and reedout speed. And they vastly outsell all their supposedly superior competitors. If the Pro R at the end of the year has all those features, as rumored, who will be doomed?

Upvote 0