Canon to announce at least 6 new RF lenses next week

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I haven't tried to scale it or anything, but the RF 24-70 IS also looks smallish. Front filter maybe 77 mm instead of 82 mm? It will be very interesting to find out. On the 70-200, I prefer the zoom ring closer to the body. This is similar to the 70-300L. We will see how small it is and maybe the ergonomics work well. But right now I very much prefer adjusting zoom on my 70-200 f/2.8 II vs my 70-300 L.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I was holding out for the 24-70 f/2.8—but now I'm wondering if I could make that 15-35 do what I do with a 17mm TSE. I don't mind stitching exposures, and even if I have to correct for converging lines in PS, a future 75MP body would make that reasonable…...

Expensive couple of years coming up!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Canon pretends not to replace the EF DSLR yet has better versions of all the most popular lenses in less than a year.
Absolutely, I didn’t believe that either, and at least, thought it would be enough bonkers lenses to simply switch sooner rather than later. I’m quite happy with my decision ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Wow Canon is really pumping them out. Makes Panasonic's initial offerings look extremely lame in comparison.

They shame Panasonic, Nikon and Sony when it comes to lens.
Spectacular release and have a little of everything for most photographers.

They are still behind the Panasonic when it come to the body though.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried to scale it or anything, but the RF 24-70 IS also looks smallish. Front filter maybe 77 mm instead of 82 mm? It will be very interesting to find out. On the 70-200, I prefer the zoom ring closer to the body. This is similar to the 70-300L. We will see how small it is and maybe the ergonomics work well. But right now I very much prefer adjusting zoom on my 70-200 f/2.8 II vs my 70-300 L.
They might be wanting to standardize on the control ring being close, and the zoom further out.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Absolutely, I didn’t believe that either, and at least, thought it would be enough bonkers lenses to simply switch sooner rather than later. I’m quite happy with my decision ...
Yeah, a little hard to believe these will all come in 2019. They would of had to be developing some of them over the past two years. Was Canon looking that far ahead?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, a little hard to believe these will all come in 2019. They would of had to be developing some of them over the past two years. Was Canon looking that far ahead?
Oh, I believe they will come pretty soon, what I didn’t believe is the parallel production and update on both RF and EF system (y)

Lenses are easily being developed two-three years ahead of release. It’s quite difficult to create a brand new lens from scratch I should think.

Upvote 0
That 70-200 looks tiny for a 2.8 - Please tell me it is not a telescoping design!

Or rather if it is, then I'll rush out and get the EF mk3 version...

I notice that this lens does not appear to feature the zoom lock/friction adjustment ring found on the 100-400 Mk2

Reasons why non-telescoping designs are preferable:
1) easier to weather seal / better better weather sealing
2) Less mass to move when zooming, which makes zooming easier
3) No chance of zoom creep when the lens is pointed down
4) No need to worry about a zoom lock switch being in the wrong setting
5) More consistant ballance in the hand

and finally (apologies if this not appropriate for all telescoping lenses, just the one I have but...)
6) When the lens is extended, then moves the focusing off so lenses will need to be refocused after zooming. This effect seems to be much more accute than for non-telescoping lenses.

Since an R mount is entirely for mirrorless, what if the zoom lock switch was electrical too? We already know there is more communication points, and if the power if off you can't see through the lens anyhow. If it was unlocked automatically when the zoom is physically rotated and the power is on that would take care of #3 & #4.

For #1 that is certainly true unless they have figured out a better way to do this. But if it's lighter and smaller that might be an acceptable tradeoff if you can still use EF lenses that offer better weather proofing. (that might also be a way to introduce an L+ class - L's that are more ruggedized but larger/heavier?)

For #6 it's my understanding that most of the moving parts of the focusing side of the newer R lenses are in closer to the body and thus move less but more precisely than their corresponding EF versions. This might help with how fast it refocuses after zooming.

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
Wow. It's all becoming apparent now how brilliant Canon's rollout plan is. Lenses are forever, but a body is only for about 3 years. By leading with the best collection of pro lenses on the market, they have the attention of not only the pros but every amateur who hopes to go pro one day. Would it have been nice if they had led with a 5D equivalent R? Yes, but not entirely necessary. A few years down the line nobody will remember which came first. But within a year of launch Canon R system will be the clear choice for wedding photographers, portrait photographers, landscape photographers, etc. Yes, they need to get the body right. But with this lens lineup they have some room for mistakes here and there, or maybe not-class-leading dynamic range, etc.

As was said above, this is going to be an expensive couple of years. Just assuming the below prices (ha right), my wish list is already north of 18k.

Future 5D R: 3500 x2
15-35 rf 2300
24-70 IS rf 2300
70-200 IS rf 2500
50mm rf 2k
85mm rf 2k

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm actually hoping the holy trinity holds the line on prices. If they were priced the same as the current line they may actually bring more profit in from prosumers who can be upsold a bit more easier. If the market for dedicated cameras is dropping to 5-6 million as canon predicts, those buyers that remain will be a higher percentage of discerning customers who do and can tell the difference between a computational photography enhanced smartphone and a real camera with good lenses. Right now I think Canon sells extra lenses beyond the first sale to less than 20% of their buyers. If you can increase that to 40% by holding the line on the popular lenses while also making them cheaper to produce they may make lots more money in the long run, even if they do lose a bit of profit off of pro's not paying a higher premium.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

I currently use a 7D mark II, and my second most-used lens is the Sigma 150-600C. If I were going to change to a full-frame R camera, I'd have to replace that 240mm-960mm equivalent range. I'd probably tolerate something like a 200-800/5-8. My third most-used lens is the 8-15/4L, which could only be replaced by something like a 13-25ish zoom fisheye.

One of the big reasons I changed from full-frame to crop is that the 24-70/2.8ii didn't have IS. Looks like Canon finally got that message, but it's several years too late for me. I was all set to give them over $5k of my money for a 5DIV + 24-70/2.8 IS, but they didn't come out with one. I'm glad they didn't - the 7D Mark ii system saved me a lot of money and I have over 70,000 images on it since I got it.

Upvote 0
I currently use a 7D mark II, and my second most-used lens is the Sigma 150-600C. If I were going to change to a full-frame R camera, I'd have to replace that 240mm-960mm equivalent range. I'd probably tolerate something like a 200-800/5-8. My third most-used lens is the 8-15/4L, which could only be replaced by something like a 13-25ish zoom fisheye.

One of the big reasons I changed from full-frame to crop is that the 24-70/2.8ii didn't have IS. Looks like Canon finally got that message, but it's several years too late for me. I was all set to give them over $5k of my money for a 5DIV + 24-70/2.8 IS, but they didn't come out with one. I'm glad they didn't - the 7D Mark ii system saved me a lot of money and I have over 70,000 images on it since I got it.

Lee, I think when you eventually go full-frame, you'll see that you do have some additional cropping ability borne out of the increased image quality that'll make up for a portion of your crop factor loss. I found, also, that the 100-400 m2 had just about 0 image quality denigration with the 1.4x teleconverter on full frame, but was a little more touchy on my 7D2. All in all, I found I missed the 1.6 crop factor a whole lot less than I'd anticipated. Then again, I did wind up buying a big white, but I suspect I would have done so anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
While the 24-70 f2.8 IS is the killer FF lens for me (and will be enough for me to move to the R as my main camera), I always assumed I'd hold on to my 80D for a while because I love the EF-S 18-135... But that 24-240 looks really tempting as a replacement, especially since it's both wider and longer than the 18-135 equivalent

Can't wait to hear some release dates, I have a mountain trip this summer and hope I can get some of these before then... That may be a long shot

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Just from a usability point of view, that zoom ring on the 70-200 is disappointing. I am sure the shorter length of the lens will be nice, but it appears that the zoom ring has been trimmed. Why keep such a wide focus ring?

Also, am hoping for either a removable foot or one with arca swiss shape.

View attachment 182975
Wide focus ring? It looks very narrow to me...

Upvote 0
I think the release of this level of pro glass prior to getting a pro camera reconfirms our collective suspicions that there was supposed to have been a pro body released prior to this point in time. This doesn't doom Canon, but it is interesting from an intent-versus-performance perspective.

In retrospect, this tells me that:
A) The slowness with L lens releases over the past couple of years was not Canon de-emphasizing the photography market, but rather refocusing it without us knowing then about the new mount
B) They intended to have a high resolution camera out, but something is holding it up
C) They knew about B early enough that they were able to cobble together the 5D4 sensor + mirrorless design to make the R, which indicates to me that the problem they faced in development was known at least 18 months ago
D) The pro model isn't necessarily coming out very soon, as the above behavior would be most logical if it weren't. Also, if there is a technical hurdle, those aren't controllable in terms of time (versus production, logistical, supply, etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0