Anyone will buy a DSLR now?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sorry if this has been brought up before. I have not been regular here of late. With all the new RF lenses coming out, is there anyone here who will continue to buy DSLR? I know I will not. Thank you.

If with "now" you mean "right now", the only RF camera you can currently buy is the R, which doesn't fit everyones needs. If "now" doesn't mean "now", then I don't know what words mean anymore.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For my bird photography and bird watching, current OVFs are better than EVF and the DSLRs have better AF for action and with telephotos. If, Canon releases a new RF superzoom that is light and seriously good and a high resolution body with AF to match, I will buy them. But, I have some superb lenses, like the 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II, as well as shorter ones, and my current 5DIV and 5DSR are better for my particular needs than the current R. If a new 5-series DSLR comes out that is significantly better than my current ones, then I will most likely purchase.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I don't know about the gear heads which frequent this forum, but many consumers of tech toys seem oblivious to what might be coming. They buy what is familiar and popular and ON SALE at the moment, whether it is a TV, laptop, tablet...

On the other hand, with so many purchases made online now, and without the influence of the surly know-nothings at big-box stores, more shoppers are more sophisticated than just a few years ago. Camera shops seem to be way beyond "endangered." Verge of extinction.

It's a good question. My conjecture, the dSLR will be appealing for a few more years, and maybe, technically, the best choice for sports and wildlife too.

How long was the transition from CRT to flat-screen? I mean from the time the first flat-screen hit mainstream stores until the last tube TV was gone from the shelves?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have a DSLR. I’m quite pleased with it, and I don’t need multiple full frame bodies. I don’t shoot many thousands of pictures a year. So, no, I am not likely to buy another DSLR for many years.

If I buy another camera in the next couple years, it would be an upgrade of my G7X II.

I don’t really see the same sort of jump in technology from DSLRs to mirrorless as from CRT to flat screen TVs. Even the form factors of the latter are so obviously different that consumers could see the change before they even got all the way to the TV department.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
At the moment I am completely happy with my 5D mk4 and I cannot think of any compelling reasons to change to a full frame mirrorless camera. Also I have a lot of money invested in EF lenses and I would prefer to use them on the camera for which they were designed rather than having to use an adapter.
This question seems to have divided photographers more than any other. Some photographers enjoy using an electronic interface with all the additional functionality that it offers, whereas others prefer a more traditional, optical interface. It is fortunate that we have a choice, at least for the time being.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

MovingViolations

Older but better..........
Oct 15, 2013
FL Space Coast
Personally having ordered a 1D MII the day it was announced and used it for a decade for action equestrian and rodeo I still had the same mount for autofocus lenses from film days meant any needed lens was on the shelf waiting. One factor for some of us is timing for the same selection of mirrorless lens that are not just up to spec but also 2nd generation bug reduced if not totally free of bugs. I just don’t see that happening for those of us with retirement not far over the horizon. I love the concept but a stickler or IQ with moving subjects there is no way mirrorless will be in my bag anytime soon as much as I would love to try it out. It will be best for me if Canon or whoever else has offerings of mirrorless bodies and lenses complete all the beta testing on someone else’s dime. What I have is not broke so no fix needed.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
I own both a 7D Mk II and an 80D. The 7D Mk II is for action photography: mainly aircraft photography and some wildlife like BIF. The 80D is for landscape, vacation, family, still life.

I want a more modern (i.e. capable) cropped camera for my action photography, so I am anxiously awaiting the 7D Mk III ..... if and when it comes. I planned to get me a new DSLR for cropped action photography by the end of 2019 (to be ready for the '2020 season'). I hope it can be Canon.
The reason to stick to DSLR is mainly because of the reasons already mentioned by AlanF for BIF.

As a future replacement for my 80D, a mirrorless may be the next camera for me there.
For these areas, the functionality of an EVF seems nice. On the down side, I would just have to give up having this as a backup camera for my action photography (but if the 7D Mk III comes, as long as my current 7D Mk II works I would still have no problem there either).

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I don’t really see the same sort of jump in technology from DSLRs to mirrorless as from CRT to flat screen TVs. Even the form factors of the latter are so obviously different that consumers could see the change before they even got all the way to the TV department.

I agree completely. One could argue that there is no "jump" in technology from DSLRs to mirrorless. They are similar cameras with each style offering some slight advantages over the other. Let's not forget that mirrorless cameras have ben around for about a decade in the smaller crop formats and haven't taken over yet. The market will decide, and if the market is swayed into thinking that mirrorless is NEW, therefore better and a replacement, then it might happen soon. But it will be due more to marketing and public perception rather than any sort of reality that mirrorless is a better type of camera than a DSLR. I think it is quite evident based on the comments of birders, wildlife and sports shooters, that the advantages of a DSLR are still apparent in some ways.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Wildlife shooters will likely be the ones to stick with DSLRs the longest. OVFs' proven reliability, battery life, better ergonomics. These factor are very important when out in the feild and the challenging conditions that wildlife photography presents.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sorry if this has been brought up before. I have not been regular here of late. With all the new RF lenses coming out, is there anyone here who will continue to buy DSLR? I know I will not. Thank you.
Aside from birding and wildlife photography another problem with R (or any mirrorless) is the AF illuminator. If you like using flashes, strobes, and light modifiers, mirrorless is still weak at autofocusing when there isn't enough light. The R is much better than some cameras like the A7R3 with less light, but I can't always use a big aperture lens, and sometimes, the ambient light is just not very much. like just a fireplace.

But anyways, wysiwig/EVF isn't all that helpful when it comes to flash photography;

Upvote 0