Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Slightly baffled by the lack of top LCD screen though. I'd have thought that would be a bare minimum feature??
Maybe not. None of the Sony full-frames feature a top-plate LCD. All critical exposure data can be displayed in the EVF anyway. But it would have been nice to include an OLED top-plate screen like the one on the EOS R.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm sure the sensor has the same treatments done on the 5dIV sensor for the R. Microlenses, more dpaf points, etc.

I'm curious to see how the firmware upgrades are. If this sensor can do 5 frames per second while autofocusing, I imagine the R can do at least the 8 that it can currently do without continuous focus? The underlying hardware should be the same, so they might have made some improvements with 1.x of the firmware. If they do that and are able to achieve eye focus comparable to the sony a7III (pre their new update) they will actually be on the road to catching up with Sony on the few specs that *actually* matter. (the ISO expansion range difference being negligible in most real world scenarios).

Upvote 0
Like the 6dMKII? That'd do me just fine. The 6D MKII is a superb camera; I get great results with mine with virtually no noise on A3 prints at up to iso 25600. Would I switch to Sony - no, I'm sure they make fine cameras but not for me. Specs aren't everything ...

What are you currently using?
I have a 60D (really old and worn out), 70D and a 5DIII.

The video quality of the 6D mark II is kinda soft, it is slightly worse compared to the 70D in my opinion. I need a FF 4K body with good autofocus during video, and the MarkIII is lacking that feature, so I was waiting for a long time for Canons no crop no bullshit 4K camera but unfortunately it didn't came.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm curious to see how the firmware upgrades are. If this sensor can do 5 frames per second while autofocusing, I imagine the R can do at least the 8 that it can currently do without continuous focus? The underlying hardware should be the same, so they might have made some improvements with 1.x of the firmware. If they do that and are able to achieve eye focus comparable to the sony a7III (pre their new update) they will actually be on the road to catching up with Sony on the few specs that *actually* matter. (the ISO expansion range difference being negligible in most real world scenarios).
They will not change the framerates with firmware, but eye-AF and silent mode will be improved.
But it not the same as the Sony, which is also receiving a firmware update for a better AF system, so not really worth comparing to. Each camera has its strengths and it will not depend on firmware updates, which is "better".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I am thrilled big time with this camera. Full frame. Light. Stabilization. Choice of great RF lenses. Am buying. And believe this will be a hot seller.
This will pair superbly with the high end camera when it comes out. Super.
If you are thinking IBIS when you say stabilisation, it seems it doesn’t have that. It has the “dual sensing IS” which has been in a few cameras already, eg EOS R, M50.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
I wanted a lighter FF camera and wide range zoom to make a travel camera and Canon seems to delivering. The camera looks like the Jolly Green Giant sat on it, but I can see myself buying it and the 24-240 in 6 months.
///
you know ..that seems like the real use to me too..

24-240 sounds good
(if it can photograph a star as a point)
and then carry my 14mm f2.8L II as a super-wide...since it is small (but now it needs a converter)

eventually there will be wider than 14mm (maybe 11-22)
..with quality... in this mount ...IMO

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Ahhhh cmon Canon, jesus, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
I really don't "get it" what is so bad in the 6DII? the fact it is not 5DMK4? not 1DxMK2? the fact that it is an entry level FF camera, it does not try to be more or less, than what so "wrong" with it? If the price is right for the camera (below 1500$) than why not? Let me say that it is the photographer who does make the difference, not the number of "gimmicks" one can find in one body or the other.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I have a 60D (really old and worn out), 70D and a 5DIII.

The video quality of the 6D mark II is kinda soft, it is slightly worse compared to the 70D in my opinion. I need a FF 4K body with good autofocus during video, and the MarkIII is lacking that feature, so I was waiting for a long time for Canons no crop no bullshit 4K camera but unfortunately it didn't came.
I wonder if this camera is actually going to have 4k and improved 1080p or just leave that behind for now and keep it exactly as it was with the 6D Mark II (maxing out at 1080p60p)
If there is any manufacturer that can get away with that, it's Canon (in that case they could just simply price it a bit lower)

Sony and Nikon both have cameras with FF 4k and hybrid AF but of course they don't have anywhere near the same range of full compatibility with lenses besides other quirks and a different look, etc.

Upvote 0
Canon has never made a bad FF body, but a poor driver can make a Porsche a horrible car with your logic I guess.
Well a 2000 euro (on launch) camera that has only IPB video, only 1080p, no headphone jack, UFS-I slot (only one), just ok video quality (little soft) is NOT a Porsche to me. It was and it still is quite expensive for what you get, the camera in many ways was inferior to the 3 year old D750, so I don't really get the metaphore. D850 is a Porsche, and it handles exceptionally.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I really don't "get it" what is so bad in the 6DII? the fact it is not 5DMK4? not 1DxMK2? the fact that it is an entry level FF camera, it does not try to be more or less, than what so "wrong" with it? If the price is right for the camera (below 1500$) than why not? Let me say that it is the photographer who does make the difference, not the number of "gimmicks" one can find in one body or the other.
In my opinion it costs too much, 2000 euros on launch, around 1600 euros right now.

Upvote 0