Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
I’m seeing a lot of gnashing of teeth about the lowest-tier R system camera. But with the leaked 2.8 trinity lenses and 85 1.2 we have a promise of a great pro camera coming in the near future. Which means none of the RP stuff matters, insofar as you don’t need to buy it. What matters is that canon sells a crap ton of these so that they can remain the market leader, and so future buyers of lots of RF L glass can get hooked. I’d say this camera looks perfect to do just that.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
So... which Sony lenses are equivalent to the RF 50L f1.2 or the 28-70 f2? And which are better than the RF 24-105 and RF 35 f1.8?
Only one of those has an equivalent. The Sony 24-105, which is pretty comparable.

I guess you could compare the Sony Zeiss 50/1.4 to the Canon 50/1.2 but they’re really quite different. Unfortunately Canon didn’t fix the bokeh from the DSLR version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ahhhh cmon Canon, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Tired of hearing this thought repeated...the 6D MKII is not a bad camera. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I do not own one, I own the other "really bad" Canon 5dsr...at least according to the uninformed...0M8A8661.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
In Canon's book, the name suggests it is a derivative of the 5D line with a specialized high-megapixel sensor (and of course it can produce lower res files).

So that would mean that the EOS Rs would have more or less similar body as the EOS R (itself a mirrorless derivative of the 5D) with a different sensor.

Or another possibility that it is derived from their, bigger higher-end body that is still coming, so one "Pro" body with dual card slots but with two different sensors (one for sports and video and another for high-resolution, which is a formula that three other FF MILC competitors are already using)

Or maybe we will see four R bodies and they all look different to each other - except saying EOS R at the front and the exact model written elsewhere ;)

I hope it would be derived from a higher end body; the R definitely needs some improvements if you ask me (I hate where that af-on button is)

Upvote 0
After the 6DII sensor was universally ridiculed in reviews, I honestly thought that Canon would be too embarrassed ever to reuse that sensor.
But, here we go again.

The 6DII camera was ridiculed for it's antiquated AF system. The sensor was decent but did not show improvements over the 6DI sensor except in mp count. Criticism was on the camera due to the AF system, not the sensor!

You do know the difference between sensor and AF system right?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Tired of hearing this thought repeated...the 6D MKII is not a bad camera. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I do not own one, I own the other "really bad" Canon 5dsr...at least according to the uninformed...View attachment 183014

The 5DSR is a fantastic camera for birds, my go to. Here is another hummer from last month, 7m away, 100-400mm II. Try and get that detail on any other Canon, or indeed an equivalent lens on a Sony or Nikon.
3Q7A4723-DxO_humming_bird.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Canon seems to be one of the few manufactures that understands that the main benefit of mirrorless is that you can make inexpensive uncomplicated cameras. I'd expect this to be a $900 camera within a year or two. Hopefully that will slow the demise of interchangable lens camera a bit. Some smaller, inexpensive glass to match would be nice.

Totally agree. Some of us just want -a camera- (a full-frame one!) that is compact, and that we can shoot photos with. For a lot of people, the form factor and price matters a lot more than the sensor. I wouldn't mind if they put a 5D MKII sensor in the thing, to be honest. I just want a small, affordable full frame camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It has the Canon colors and ergonomics, so that's enough to keep the Canon faithful happy. They lived with the 7d ii sensor being poor, with the fact that Sony's sensors always seem to be a step above Canon's, but hey, when you are the market leader(overall) and have great colors you can afford to be average and get by, apparently. Of course people will say they take great shots with the 6d. Canon will discount as usual, throw in a printer nobody wants, make it look like a great deal. They'll still sell a load of these.
zzWhy would they buy this over a 6d mark II that much. Was the 6dII even a big seller. I never met a person with one.

Upvote 0