Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Ridiculed in reviews and LOVED by actual users (watching Fro Knows Podcasts is not a good way to determine what products to buy)... a common thing what with forums, keyboard warriors and spec sheets.
Agreed about Fro. Even Tony N had to retract his findings on the 6DII for vlogging (look for: "I made a mistake: Canon 6D mk II is the BEST vlogging camera. Seriously."). I tend to favor the long term reviews and use the short term review just for *possible* points to watch for. And the feedback from fellow users, particularly those with the camera in question. YT and many a review site is about entertainment first... just keep that in mind. Wish DPReview would put a 6 month and 1 yr review for each new product it reviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 6DII camera was ridiculed for it's antiquated AF system. The sensor was decent but did not show improvements over the 6DI sensor except in mp count. Criticism was on the camera due to the AF system, not the sensor!

You do know the difference between sensor and AF system right?

Ridiculed for its sensor too, especially it's poor low light performance. In fact many 6D users declined to "upgrade" as a result. You do know the difference between photographer and fanboy, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I have a 7D Mark II and 7 lens kit covering 180° horizontal to 960mm equivalent. The R system doesn't seem to have any redeeming features that would make me want to go through the expense and time to switch, even if they actually have usable EVFs.

Mirrorless is the future abandon your mirror slappers! is a meme being pushed by certain review sites and brands. DSLRs still dominate sales, still have some key advantages, and are still the more mature technology.

Yes, mirrorless has its own advantages. Yes, eventually mirrorless will mature and will match SLRs on every point. And yes, eventually most or all ILCs sold will be mirrorless.

That doesn't mean your DSLR has stopped working today, or will stop working in the future. A 7D mk II has IQ as good as 645 film in a body that has superior performance to >= 95% of all "sports cameras" ever shipped. It can cover the vast majority of photographic assignments and subject/print size requirements. Nothing that comes out later will change that.

No reason to upgrade until there's an upgrade that's worth it to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think this hits the nail on the head - that is who the RP is marketed for. There is a huge segment of the market that will jump at this because it ticks off the "mirrorless" and "full frame" checkboxes even if an 80D would be a much better camera for them.

I don't think any of the people saying the 6dii sensor is pathetic are in the market to buy a rebel, yet they make it sound like they'd buy this if the sensor was better. This is definitely a rebel-level camera in terms of controls and I'm sure they will find some other ways to cripple it, do you think they will go even slower than 1/180 flash sync speed? :)

Of course this can be the perfect camera for some specific situations ( small back up body, low light, static subjects. ) but odds are if you're on this forum its not the camera you are looking for.

Ironically, this is the "Digital FM2" that Nikon owners have been clamoring for. It is smaller and lighter than the FM2. I have been wanting a digital version of an FM2 for years. I am actually a pro but this type of concepts appeals to me. I used to carry the FM2 with a short prime 24/7 and shot photos with it casually. I would get a long strap and sling it over my shoulder, and it would hang on the opposite hip. But film development has gotten more expensive and less common; APS-C cameras really don't have the same look; and full-frame DSLR's have been so big -- that I haven't really carried a camera in years. I am looking forward to doing it again.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It was shot at iso 1250. You are right, there is an artefact above the eye. It results from the lens sharpening tool of DxO PL. The tool works very well with the 5DIV, which doesn't give such sharp images because of its AA-filter. With the 5DSR, it oversharpens and I don't like the effect and usually turn it off and use a smidgeon of USM. Here is the same image with the lens sharpening turned off and zero sharpening applied, and the artefact has gone. It's a very heavy crop, the bird occupying only the middle 1100px x 550px at the centre of the 50mpx image, and is pushing the limits of getting a sharp image.

View attachment 183016
That’s very interesting. Easily fixable. I’ve only seen a hummingbird in Africa. Amazing type of bird and I expect hard to capture. We don’t have them locally

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Prior to this announcement I had zero interest in mirrorless. (Well maybe slightly more than zero, but not much). I'm actually going to watch this very closely. A mirrorless body that that has a silent or near silent shutter (Not a joke like the 1DxII), would be a very useful auxiliary body for me when shooting events and meetings where I want to be unobtrusive. In those situations, 5fps is plenty and I will be using mostly single point for focusing. I don't shoot at base ISO, so the benefits of on-chip ADC don't really come into play. I'd love to have something quiet that I can pair with the 5DIV (which is not too bad in its "silent" settings) and then leave the 1Dx in the bag.

Point is, this may have some appeal beyond Rebel users looking to convert to full frame. Watch any national press conference and listen to the annoying whirr of the 1DX's and you'll understand why working photographers might find an affordable mirrorless appealing to try out. No, I'm not going to shoot sports with it, but having a low cost tool that is right for certain jobs would be appealing.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So... I guess the software correction of 5,4 stops vignetting is a breeze at ISO 1600? And I guess software correction also makes up for the shot you missed while you were waiting for the lens to focus? And software correction makes the lens smaller as well? I better get myself a Sony camera! o_O (Sarcasm allert :ROFLMAO:)

I would add: is there software correction for rain water getting in your Sony cam and ruining your day?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
After the 6DII sensor was universally ridiculed in reviews, I honestly thought that Canon would be too embarrassed ever to reuse that sensor.
But, here we go again.

Because Canon does not care if reviewers ridicule the sensor, and any potential embarrassment is easily offset by the large sales numbers and happy customers. As you no doubt have noticed if your read the posts here on CR, almost every 6D II owner is very happy with the IQ and those who have both the 6d and 6d II have said how much better the IQ is.

If all you do is look at the test results you will be unhappy no matter what you get.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I don't see a pattern from the single R series released so far and I don't see a pattern with the soon to be release RP added either. If you see evidence of a change of strategy, please share.

Fair enough, you can't really make a pattern from a single release, but here's my very speculative reasoning:
1. RF and EF-M mounts aren't compatible, make a few leaps of reasoning ( this is a rumors site ) and RF ends up being full frame only , if you want crop use EF-M. the days of EF bodies are numbered.
2. there hasn't been any sign of higher end EF-M bodies that can compete with an 80D. just because you want something small doesn't mean you don't want high end, just ask (the small number of ) olympus users. but for whatever reason canon always equates better with bigger, so there may never be an 80D like EF-M crop body.
3. in the full frame space canon has in the past done cheap ( 6d ) , all around ( 5d iv) , high resolution ( 5d sr ) ,and high speed ( 1d ) .
4. now in RF mount we have cheap ( RP ) , all around ( R ), maybe we'll see a high resolution next and eventually high speed. canon may go into different segmentations with RF vs. EF, who knows, but its not a horrible guess that they keep the segmentation roughly the same.
5. The R is a much less capable camera than the 5Div in terms of usability, and the RP seems much less capable than the 6dii., if you want at least 2 control dials you have to go even more upmarket.

So where does something like the 80D fit in? Maybe they have to do something to take the place of the 7D line . Personally I'd like to see a crop mode on a full frame high resolution weather sealed body that would be great for all nature photography ( I would be willing to pay $2000 for that ). But given their history I think they will release a completely different body for people looking to replace their 7d. But the 80D just seems like it is in no mans land. Maybe it hasn't sold well enough to make it worthwhile, if so then I understand if they drop it, but as a happy 80D user obviously I'm not happy about that.

Its all speculation, you can easily speculate the other way and pick apart these arguments, and canon may change course at any time, but this is just a rumors discussion site and I'm pessimistic. What kind of 80D replacement do you see fitting into their lineup and how will it be priced?

Upvote 0
So... I guess the software correction of 5,4 stops vignetting is a breeze at ISO 1600? And I guess software correction also makes up for the shot you missed while you were waiting for the lens to focus? And software correction makes the lens smaller as well? I better get myself a Sony camera! o_O (Sarcasm allert :ROFLMAO:)

You are aware that the EF 50L and RF 50L are different lenses?
It’s nowhere near 5.4 stops if you’re using distortion correction too, as the darkest extreme corner areas are no longer in frame. Somebody has been reading too much on Optical Limits. ;)

Not sure what you’re referring to with AF - maybe you read a review with the lens mounted to an older model. Optical Limits again? Clearly you haven’t used one.

Size? It’s basically identical to the Canon!

Yes I’m aware of the EF/RF models. As I said, the problems with bokeh remain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Ridiculed for its sensor too, especially it's poor low light performance. In fact many 6D users declined to "upgrade" as a result. You do know the difference between photographer and fanboy, right?

No, the low light performance is almost equal to the 5D IV. It was at base ISO that the 6D II was no better than the 6D and a couple stops lower than the 5D IV. And that was the main reason folks decided not to upgrade.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Ridiculed for its sensor too, especially it's poor low light performance.

What poor low light performance? Look at high ISO RAWs in DPReview's comparison tool. Download the RAWs yourself and examine them. It's within 0.5ev of a Sony A7 III at high ISO.

You do know the difference between photographer and fanboy, right?

Do you know the difference between FakeNews and actual results?

Here's the 6D II at 25600 and 12800 against the Sony, both samples at 25600. This way you can clearly see that while the Sony is slightly better at the same ISO, it's worse when the 6D II is 1ev lower. There's no denying the high ISO difference is therefore <1 ev. Less than 1ev is inconsequential in post because it's a tick on a NR slider.

The same thing is true ooc for the 6D.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.18.20 PM.png

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
The 6DII camera was ridiculed for it's antiquated AF system. The sensor was decent but did not show improvements over the 6DI sensor except in mp count. Criticism was on the camera due to the AF system, not the sensor!

You do know the difference between sensor and AF system right?

No, the sensor got most of the criticisms. The AF system was a major upgrade. The original 6D had a very basic 9 point AF system. The 6D II had a much improved AF system.

From Digital Camera World:

The 6D Mark II’s regular autofocus system gets an update too, with a 45-point array (all cross-type) that’s light years ahead of the old model’s archaic nine-point system.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It is kind of disappointing that this camera will come with the recycled 6D mk ii sensor. That was not such a great sensor to begin with (not just worse high ISO performance that its competitors but also worse dynamic range), but using DSLR sensors in mirrorless bodies leads to problems like excessive vignetting with wide angle lenses and even color shift. Maybe it is possible to alleviate these problems to some degree by using a thinner LPF filter (or no LPF) or thinner Bayer array in the short term, but eventually Canon will have to make new sensors optimized for much lower angle of incidence that is inevitable because of the short flange distance of the mirrorless design. Interestingly enough, the DPAF architecture makes it more difficult to solve this issue by simply changing the micro-lens topology.

Upvote 0