Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

With regard to the 'Is the 6D MKII a good/bad camera", a few things to consider:

As this is a Canon forum, I'd expect the majority of users have Canon gear? If so you may well have amassed a good collection of decent glass. Therefore you're more likely to stay with Canon even if the latest whatever isn't as good as the competition's comparable model. Would you say, rather than go for a 5D MKIV go for a Nikon D850 and change all your lenses? What if the next Canon is better - would you change systems again?

Specs on paper & lab tests have their place but I'd rather listen to real-world experiences from people who've actually bought the camera. Despite what the specs might suggest, in practice you may not notice so much difference, if any. So what if you can recover more detail from a shot underexposed by 5 stops; I doubt I've had many shots I've miscalculated the exposure so badly on!

OK, if you're a pro and/or shoot in really challenging conditions you may require a more robust model but that's about it. At our camera club we regularly project images up to 6ft wide or look at A3 prints but you can't tell which camera was used whether 6D, D850 or whatever.

Some cameras may have more of the features you need personally but to suggest the 6D MKII (or indeed the 6D) is a bad camera is just silly.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Canon cameras remind me of movies that the film critics hate, but I go watch anyways, and then think to myself, "Hey, that was a great!"

But anyways, seriously, the issue with Sony cameras is that they're really awesome at a lot of things, but at the end of the day, they are features that I either don't use (like 4k video) or that I seriously can't tell the difference on for the sorts of photography I do (like a step or two more base DR). I'm confident that I can get the same results out of whatever;p system is in my hands -- it's just a question of which system I'm happier to use, and I would rank that Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony.

Canon also wins out for me from a practical perspective simply because of some great lower priced EF lenses, and a much broader set of first and third party accessories. For example, if I owned a Sony, I probably would never have purchased a 16-35 or a 100 macro, and these are now lenses I can't imagine being without -- never mind other lenses with no equivalent like Sigma 150-600.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
With regard to the 'Is the 6D MKII a good/bad camera", a few things to consider:

As this is a Canon forum, I'd expect the majority of users have Canon gear? If so you may well have amassed a good collection of decent glass. Therefore you're more likely to stay with Canon even if the latest whatever isn't as good as the competition's comparable model.
Canon deserves points for making an excellent EF to RF adapter. Putting aside nifty bonuses like control ring or rear filters, it works the way you would want it to. Yes, there may be differences in raw autofocus speed and coverage and at f/whatever, but for most people in most use cases, autofocus feels natural, performs as promised. This is in sharp contrast to Nikon's FTZ adapter (or Sony's A mount adapter, though I don't think there were enough A mount lens owners for this to be an issue), where a Z7 with an F-mount lens doesn't autofocus anything like an 850 with the same F-mount lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
As a consumer (not stockholder), you should be mad that Canon just provide the status quo without going to extra mile to get your hard earn money.

As a consumer (not a shareholder), I am happy that Canon provides a camera with the features that I want, and not just a high end model that forces me to pay for a bunch of features that I don't need and won't use.

I'm lucky to have alot of disposable money

Yes, aren't you lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Canon has a history of providing poorly value camera because they know we are tied down to glasses - 5D IV, 6D II, and EOS R. They aren't bad camera. I don't think any FF camera in the last 5 year take bad pictures. It just a poorly value one.

You mean, FOR THE SPECS YOU VALUE.

How many times to rational people have to point this out to those who make proclamations about value? Different consumers have different priorities in what they value. When you proclaim something as a fact for all, you are almost certainly wrong.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Look, I’ve got a 60D and have been patiently waiting the last few years for the right entry level FF body. The 6DII didn’t it cut it for me due to the many hashed over points. Would I rather have my 60 over the 6? Of course not but for the price, I decided to wait. Along comes Canon’s mirrorless FF which brings some attention with the possibility of a new sensor, higher FPS, along with the lighter weight and smaller package. So Canon may release a camera that isn’t noticeably improved over the 6D2 as far as output and performance. I’ve been waiting for several years, hoping for a better option, but it hasn’t come. Understand why so many of us “bots” are frustrated and saying the same thing?
No. I don't understand why people constantly come here to talk of another brand offering everything they want or need, but never switching if that is the case. The camera is a tool. Buy the tool you say you want or need. If people seriously think they'll get a clone of brand X in a Canon... well, I just think that's silly. Ain't gonna happen. Ever. Your present 60D is far outclassed by any of Canon's FF offerings. If that isn't apparent and the Sony checks all the boxes for you, then why not the Sony? Hoping Canon releases your individual dream camera is a pipe dream.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sure! Besides, claiming to be a lifetime Canon user doesn't change the attitude of the posts.
I cannot grasp this. I was a "lifetime Nikon user" until I decided I really liked Canon. I was happy with the switch (okay, well, I tried MFT for the dream of shrinking everything first, but anyways). I can't imagine (a) still being on Nikon and bitching that live view on my DSLR can't autofocus if my life depended on it or (b) going onto Nikon forums to bitch about what I like better on Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It now tends to be only the newer telephoto (100mm+) G Master lenses that have IBIS. There are a few older Sony Zeiss lenses with OSS, but they pre-date the introduction of IBIS.
Lenses don't have IBIS, my friend. No lens in the world has IBIS.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Not the 6D2 arguments all over again :rolleyes:. Canon should just lower the MSRP to ~$1100 and all the complaints would disappear. All the rest of the criticism are just Photography Level 0 spec-sheet comparos & equipment measurebating.

For this RP, price it at $1200-1300 and the target market won't care if it has the exact same 6D2 sensor. All the rest of the complaints are people wishing 1DX2 bodies priced at 6D2 levels. :sneaky:

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My ONLY point was to illustrate that the "R" can AF with a lens/TC combination with an f-stop smaller than F8 and do it anywhere on the sensor.... This is something no current dSLR can do. That pelican shot was illustrative of this and that the camera does it well enough even to keep up with some motion.

I never said a pelican is a "little" bird...as in "small" (LMFAO) -- I said the picture shows that the equipment in question is capable of a "little BIF" --- as opposed to "a lot" or "full-blown" BIF like you'd be able to do with say a 1DXII and a 500 F4L or similar......

We (those on these threads) do not always take the time to be completely clear in our comments and even sometimes they are incorrect. I don't see that as an excuse for borderline insults going back and forth, which contributes nothing to an otherwise useful exchange. The best approach, well proven , is to not engage in this and just be nice.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm quite used to use canon bodies, lenses, batteries, menus, options, dpaf and everything else, the transition will be really hard (and emotional) :cautious:

It's time to relearn it
That sounds like a description of Sony's three generations of non-existent and poor weather sealing. (To say nothing of a history of compressed RAWs, star eating algorithms, off sensor reflections, broken UIs, etc, etc.)

Is that how they got the 28-70 f/2 and the sharpest 50 f/1.2 to date? By minimizing R&D money spent?

I was talking about camera body. Canon is the best manufacture when it comes to lens manufacture. At $2300 and $3000 they aren't cheap. They probably have a higher profit margin. I am talking about their 6D II offering, EOS R recycle sensor and most likely EOS RP 6D II sensor.

Sony do have a lot of faults. Not arguing with you there. That's why I'm still with Canon to see if EOS R Pro would be a good alternative.

It's not worse. Slightly more noise but slightly more detail. Probably less than 0.5ev difference even if you're just looking at noise in a gray patch. If you NR to the same level of detail/sharpness it might be a tiny bit better.

FF differences at high ISO are practically a myth at this point, reinforced by pixel peeping files which vary in size.

That comes after the RP. But it will be priced accordingly.

I was willing to spend the cash for a long time now.

I'm quite used to use canon bodies, lenses, batteries, menus, options, dpaf and everything else, the transition will be really hard (and emotional) :cautious:

I can relate. It will be emotional for me since Canon is all I ever own and how I started with photography and build my portfolio, but you need to separate the tool from the photographer. Photography is all about continuing learning the craft and the tools. My workflow is alot differences 5 years ago then how it is today - off camera lighting, photoshop techniques, raw processing, different lenses, etc.

Third party are cheap and some camera come with USB PD. Menu can learn and customized with custom function button. It depends on your niche, but third party lens is really good.

Canon 135 F2 is one of Canon best lens but I can find Sigma 105 1.4/135 1.8. Gone are the days Canon is a few manufacturers that can make decent lens.

The new RF lens look incredible but you can bet they will be expensive as well.

Good luck with your decision but I will keep an open mind on the best system that work for me.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
As for body design my only observation is that Canon, again, wasted the entire top left side of the body by using that huge single-function ON/OFF dial. They should have added functionality to that dial and 1 or 2 more customizable buttons on that side. o_O

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not the 6D2 arguments all over again :rolleyes:. Canon should just lower the MSRP to ~$1100 and all the complaints would disappear. All the rest of the criticism are just Photography Level 0 spec-sheet comparos & equipment measurebating.

For this RP, price it at $1200-1300 and the target market won't care if it has the exact same 6D2 sensor. All the rest of the complaints are people wishing 1DX2 bodies priced at 6D2 levels. :sneaky:
I know the sensor being from the 6D II (if it really is) doesn't bother me. If it works it works. People act as though the thing can't capture a great image. FF sensor, on a mirrorless camera, in my preferred brand and at this price... which I can use on my MF lenses and allowing me to ditch my Olympus MFT? Hallelujah! So far, either the R or the RP would do it for me. This camera, I think, is going to sell very well.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your usual troll observations. Why are you here on a Canon site if you hate Canon so much?

If you look below at the Canon gear I own I am still very much a Canon user and a one time Canon enthusiast. As a Canon owner/user am I not allowed to criticize Canon.. or are we only allowed to sing the glory of Canon ?

I don't "hate" Canon. I have been disappointed with their strategy and after giving them several chances to get video right, I have moved on. Yes, moved on as in I pre ordered the new king of mirrorless, the Panasonic S1 and eagerly await its arrival.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If you look below at the Canon gear I own I am still very much a Canon user and a one time Canon enthusiast. As a Canon owner/user am I not allowed to criticize Canon.. or are we only allowed to sing the glory of Canon ?

I don't "hate" Canon. I have been disappointed with their strategy and after giving them several chances to get video right, I have moved on. Yes, moved on as in I pre ordered the new king of mirrorless, the Panasonic S1 and eagerly await its arrival.
Yay for you! Enjoy! It won't be king in a year. That's just how all this works. ;) Glad you found what meets your needs.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
As for body design my only observation is that Canon, again, wasted the entire top left side of the body by using that huge single-function ON/OFF dial. They should have added functionality to that dial and 1 or 2 more customizable buttons on that side. o_O

No way, that space is perfectly suited for custom modification. I invented a tactical shadow lifter. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the Shadow Sniper(TM):
1549563799665.png

In version 2, I'm going add a mechanical arm that switches the light on only when the shutter is depressed. This should eliminate all of the hand wringing over shadow lifting.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0